Advice needed for a newbie, please! :)

Options
I just started my weight loss journey on Monday. So far I think I am doing pretty well. Stayed under my goal calories all week, cut back on portion's, carbs, processed foods, etc.

My biggest question is if I should keep doing what I am doing, or if I should be doing shakes and things like that, instead of just healthier food options. Does that make sense? Current goal is to loose 5 lbs by the end of this month, I have lost 1 so far. Long term goal 60 lbs lost by the end of they year. I am meeting a fitnness/nutrition coach next Friday. Thanks in advance to all!!

Also if you wouldn't mind adding me as a friend, that would be great!!!

Here was my day yesterday:

Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein
Better Oats - Oat Fit Instant Oatmeal (Maple & Brown Sugar), 1 Pouch (28g) 100 18 2 4
Blueberries - Raw, 0.5 cup 41 11 0 1
Raisins - Seedless, 0.5 miniature box (.5 oz) 21 6 0 0
Kroger - Low Fat Milk 1%, 0.5 cup 55 6 3 5

Lunch
Sarah Lee Bread - 100% Whole Wheat Bread , 1 slices of bread 75 14 1 4
Kraft - Mayo With Olive Oil (Reduced Fat Mayonnaise), 1 grams (1 TBSP) 3 0 0 0
Marzetti - Otria Greek Yogurt Veggie Dip- Cucumber Dill Feta, 1 Tbsp 30 1 3 1
Sargento - Reduced Sodium Colby-Jack Cheese Slice, 1 slice (19g) 70 0 6 4
Deli - Black Forest Ham, 2 slices 60 0 2 10
Lettuce - Green leaf, raw, 1 cup shredded 5 1 0 0
Cucumber - With peel, raw, 0.5 cup slices 8 2 0 0

Dinner
Romaine - Lettuce, 3 leaf 15 3 0 0
Spinach - Raw, 1 cup 7 1 0 1
Protein - Grilled Atlantic Salmon, 6 oz 272 0 0 41
Newman's Own - Light Raspberry & Walnut Salad Dressing, 2 Tbsp 70 7 5 0
Spectrum - Organic Coconut Oil, 1 TBSP 120 0 14 0
Aa L-Fresh - Cilantro, 1/4 cup 1 0 0 0
Lemon Zest - Lemon, 1 Tbsp 6 1 0 0
Tomato - Raw, Red, 0.25 medium (150g) 7 1 0 0

Snacks
Dannon Danactive - Immunity - Yogurt Drink, 1 Bottle 80 13 2 3
Fresh Fruit - Banana - Medium 7 - 8" , 1 Banana 100 30 0 1
Sunsweet - Individual Prunes, 1 prunes 25 6 0 0
Rold Gold - Pretzel Sticks, 0.5 oz (52 sticks) 50 12 0 1
Yoplait Delights Parfait - Cherry Cheesecake - Yogurt, 1 container(113g) 100 16 2 5
Ghirardelli - Dark Chocolate Square- 60% Cacao, 1 squares 53 6 4 1

Totals 1,374 155 44 82
Your Daily Goal 1,791 246 59 67
Remaining 417 91 15 -15
Calories Carbs Fat Protein
*You've earned 251 extra calories from exercise today

Replies

• sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I started in Jan and just been sticking to MFP goals.. staying under on sodium... and working out.. I never added shakes or anything... And I lost 21lbs.. thats with a bad week of gaining 4 and losing that again!
  • salad37
    salad37 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    hey hunni, i would not reccomend them shakes at all, they will give you the nutrition i agree but you will feel very hungry and so you will be more likely to over eat later or make bad food choices. what you have done so far is great, but take advice from your nutricianist, he/she will know best!!! go on to this web site its great, www.burnthefat.com dont be put off by the muscle guy, opt in to some emails he will send you one a day about the truth behnid scams and bad diets, and how to really make loosing weight easy, its interesteing xx
  • kirsty2281
    Options
    I felt the same as you at the beginning wasn't sure what I should be doing. I have found just by sticking to the calories I am actually able to lose weight fairly steadily although not as much as I would like each time. My sister is doing another diet and she is losing weight at a much quicker rate than me although she is nowhere near as heavy as me and I wonder if I should be doing anything differently will be curious to see what everyone else recommends.

Oh yeah and welcome x
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Diaries are tools for you to use and if you are asking others for help they need to be able to see what you have been doing. It is impossible to give someone directions in the dark!!!!! It is impossible to give advise if we don't know what the problem(s) are. If you are asking for help, please open your diary so we can be as helpful as possible.

Your diary will tell us if you are eating too much of something such as sodium, not enough protein or fiber, etc. etc. etc. And we can see what you are doing daily with your exercise as everyday is different in most cases.

Just a suggestion.

Vicky Jo
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you are doing. The shakes and things are used to limit calories while still getting vitamins and minerals. Looking at your log you are eating good combos of fruits, and veggies that will give your body what it needs. Honestly i am in awe of your menu, great job.
  • beccafertig
    beccafertig Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you use the RIGHT shake, it can be a very effective tool. I've used several over the years, and all but one leaves me starving after just an hour or two. Try shakeology. It's made by Beachbody. I mix it up in the blender with milk, and it keeps me completely satisfied until it's time for my next meal.
  • stephstrege
    stephstrege Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    How do I open up my diary??
  • ♥BETHANY♥
    Options
    you go to settings and then diary options i think and then make it visable to either friends or public whatever you want!
  • stephstrege
    stephstrege Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! I guess I feel like I am eating to much. I am not sure why. I guess just because I have such a bad relationship with food, I need to be careful. Because I have done things in the past with trying to loose weight that got out of hand, only eatilng plain lettuce for 2 weeks and ended up getting really sick (very low iron count and other things). I now realize, this isn't about losing weight overnight, it's about changes to last a lifetime and total lifestyle change.

I'll be looking forward to what the nutritionist says, but greatly appreciate everyone's help here as well :D
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    First off......Welcome.

And here's some advice I found out...

DO NOT Eat under your carloie goal. It will put you in a calorie deficit which will slow you metabolism and you will regain the weight you lost. You must eat all of the calories you are alotted for the day.

For example, say your goal is normally 1200, but you go to the gym and burn off 400 calories. That means you get an extra 400 calories to eat. so it bumps your goal up to 1600 for the day. Don't worry if it's a tiny deficit of say 50 to 100 cal every so often, however you can't keep up the deficit of a huge amount of say 200 calories every day.

Not only does the deficit slow you metabolism it also makes it easier for you to get sick. I know because I kept up a calorie deficit for a few weeks, and I am just starting to get over bronchitis.

Just make sure that you eat no more than your alotted calories and to keep exercising.

I use the Nike sport kit for iPod to help me track the true distance and time I walk so I can calculate my mph, which is distance = miles divided by time (in hours), and I can then get on to mfp and locate the correct mph under walking and then log the minutes I walked.

Hope this helps.