belly fat

Options
Okay we all have it and we all want to reduce it. I have the BIGGEST flat tire around my mind section and was hoping some folks would have a few exercises and/or tips that help reduce it. This is my biggest issue of my weight and I know it is the hardest to get rid of. Anyone have any tips for me?

I am ,more of a walker and try to get yoga in twice a week. What else could I do to help this go away? I am pondering a trainer once a week to help me get more strength training in as I am not the best at doing that myself.

Replies

• shel1109
    shel1109 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Personally, I am a huge believer that belly comes from carbs. I have done pretty much every diet in the book (along with most other women!). I find that any diet that has a low carb lifestyle helps me to take it right off. I don't stay on it forever, but it helps to get it down initially then it's easier to maintain w/ proper diet and exercise. Good luck!
  • zumba66girl
    zumba66girl Posts: 136
    Options
    would like to see the comments on this one.:glasses:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I have belly issues for sure, but I am working on them. So far I have lost 12 pounds since January 27th and a fair amount of it has dropped from my belly area. I have been making my best attempt to skip all processed packaged foods. I had heard from a friend of mine that the best way to lose belly fat is to eat clean. Then I read the same thing in Oxygen magazine where someone had asked what was the best way to lose those last 10 pounds that seem to be the hardest, especially in the belly area! Good luck! You can add me if you'd like. I am going to attempt to share some of my recipes :)
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Sadly, you can't spot reduce fat. :ohwell:
    My biggest part has always been my stomach. I've noticed a HUGE different in it since losing.
    Stick with cardio and strength training and measure!!
    Eventually it will go away, it will take time. I like to take pics to see the progress.
  • cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    First... SUGAR IS THE DEVIL cannot stress this enough :) Sugar is mainly what adds to belly fat. If you cut out as much processed foods and sugar as possible, it will really help around the mid section. Plus whole grains are great! Whole wheat etc help to burn belly fat. Oatmeal is key! Make sure if you eat oatmeal not to get the "instant" kind..it can have lots of added sugar. Yogurt, especially Greek yogurt helps to burn fat around the midsection because of its special proteins and probiotics. Leafy greens are great too. Apples contain pectin...which burns belly fat as well. Pectin helps your blood to not absorb fat :) hope this helps! good luck!
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    Forgot to add that I have been using a lot of recipes from Prevention Magazine's Flat Belly Diet Family cookbook. The goal of the eating plan is to keep meals to 400 calories or less. It's been great!
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    First... SUGAR IS THE DEVIL cannot stress this enough :) Sugar is mainly what adds to belly fat. If you cut out as much processed foods and sugar as possible, it will really help around the mid section. Plus whole grains are great! Whole wheat etc help to burn belly fat. Oatmeal is key! Make sure if you eat oatmeal not to get the "instant" kind..it can have lots of added sugar. Yogurt, especially Greek yogurt helps to burn fat around the midsection because of its special proteins and probiotics. Leafy greens are great too. Apples contain pectin...which burns belly fat as well. Pectin helps your blood to not absorb fat :) hope this helps! good luck!

Agreed, my stomach blew up when I was pounding at least one 12 or 16 ounce red bull per day. Bad decision looking back, but I was addicted!
  • hsubharas
    hsubharas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been going to a personal trainer for the past 8 months (2x per week) and am so happy I am. I saw a difference in the first 3 months with just the conscious exercise. The next 3 months were good but not the loss in body fat I was looking for. I am not sure where I am in the body fat % (my 9 month weigh in is not until April) but my clothes are fitting better and I am feeling great. Using myfitnesspal.com has been a great tool also. I would highly recommend either a personal trainer and adding some strength training 1-2x per week. Keep up the exercising!! It works.
  • Deb2chef
    Deb2chef Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Try the Zumba workout it Really works the belly, hips thight and legs. It comes on a dvd or Game xbox Wii and I think playstation, Classes also WWW.Zumba.Com
  • dizidaisy
    dizidaisy Posts: 68
    Options
    Tummy fat can also be caused by stress! When you're stressed the body releases a chemical called Cortisol - apparently the fat cells in your tummy have more cortisol receptors.

If you do suffer with high levels of stress this might be worth considering?
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    All the experts say that you can not spot reduce, so while some "food" suggestions here sound good, none of those suggestions have proven to help.

What you can do to help is do a lot of cardio exercises and you can do stomach exercises to at least strengthen the muscles, try getting a dvd like this one to do it:

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Abs-Meghan-White/dp/B000B5XPFG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299954118&sr=8-1

Which is one of the best ones out there. I used to do this every other day and you WILL see a difference in your abs even if they are fat. I find that my training from this really helped with the routine I am doing now. This is a super killer ab exercise dvd.