Drop the diet mentality- a new member's positive words :)

Options
I am new here but not new to healthy living. I've been off of my wagon for way too long. In 2006, I got rid of 125 lbs and now I am up a bit more than I'd like to admit. I will say I am up 2 sizes and not happy about that.
Words that I find aren't helpful to me are words that I call DIET MENTALITY words. Now I realize it's just semantics, but words can go a long way when it comes to a positive outlook.
Words and things you will never hear me say :

I am on a DIET (No, I just am eating healthy)
I CHEATED today (Ok I had a piece of cake, or maybe 10, but it's time to jump back ON the wagon and move on from it)
I was BAD (Ok you ate junk, you're NOT bad, you just ate junk. What is BAD? Cheating on a spouse, lying, stealing and so on.
I want to be SKINNY (I want to be healthy because cancer patients and people dying are often skinny, I want my health! :) )

To me, those are all diet mentality sayings and words, it's the ALL OR NOTHING mentality, or the I am a piece of garbage because I am fat way of thinking.

I honestly believe that while some things in your life get easier if you're healthier or thinner, it doesn't solve many of your problems. We are told by the diet industry that losing weight equates to happiness. You have all seen the commercials I am sure.
MY NAME IS BLABLABLA AND I LOST 1204949 LBS AND I USED TO HATE ME, MYSELF AND I AND EVERYONE USED TO HATE ME BUT NOW I AM A SIZE 2 AND EVEN MY KIDS LOVE ME MORE.

AKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Happiness has to come from inside. Beating yourself up won't help. I realize this as the scale went up and up in the last year. It hurt me more to degrade myself. I know it's not what will help. What is done is done. Find positive coping mechanisms and USE positive words to provide self support and then pay it forward to others.

You are worth it! Your life is worth it. You deserve happiness!

If anyone wants to add me, feel free! :)

Replies

• miranda75
    miranda75 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you for those words. After reading that I see that I say all those things. Things I thought were good but thinking about it they were just hurting me. I need to find better words to help me so that I can get to my goal. Again thank you for that wonderful post
  • Aitenev
    Aitenev Posts: 62
    Options
    Words of wisdom! Thanks for posting. I COMPLETELY agree.
  • SyreetaJayne1
    Options
    Totally agreed! Welcome to the myfitnesspal family!!!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Yeahhh... I tried (and failed) many a "diet" over the years. What finally worked was to change my ways =)
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Please feel free to add me as a friend here or on facebook! :):bigsmile:
    I am excited to be here, and as I have been glancing at a lot of the message boards, I am finding that people aren't looking at this journey as a positive step and tend to look at it as a chore.

It's not a chore to be healthy- it's actually MORE of a chore to be unhealthy. When I was diabetic and over 300lbs, it was a lot harder to get around, have to deal with insulin, than it is for me to eat healthier and exercise :)

Enigmatica- You didn't fail the diets, they actually failed you. You are better than some silly fad diet. When you change your mindset, you change your life :)