10,000 Steps or Bike Ride?

Options
I just bought a pedometer and I am working towards 10,000 steps a day. I work in an office and it looks like I would average between 2,000 and 3,000 steps a day if I didn't have the pedometer calling out to me do to more.

However, there is only so much I can do to increase my step count during the normal work day. For instance, taking the long way around to the restroom, using the stairs instead of the elevator, parking further away from the door, going out the "wrong" door and walking around the building..., etc.

The only way to possibly acheive 10,000 steps seems to be to take a walk when I get home (or get up early, but I am not a morning person!!!). My family would prefer to go on a bike ride and I am wondering if there is a good tradeoff for biking vs. walking or if I should still try to attain the 10,000 steps PLUS bike with my family? Or make them go on a walk with me instead?!?

Can anybody suggest a good tradeoff that would not leave me feeling like I did not acheive a daily goal?

Replies

• michaelhe
    michaelhe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just bought a pedometer and I am working towards 10,000 steps a day. I work in an office and it looks like I would average between 2,000 and 3,000 steps a day if I didn't have the pedometer calling out to me do to more.

However, there is only so much I can do to increase my step count during the normal work day. For instance, taking the long way around to the restroom, using the stairs instead of the elevator, parking further away from the door, going out the "wrong" door and walking around the building..., etc.

The only way to possibly acheive 10,000 steps seems to be to take a walk when I get home (or get up early, but I am not a morning person!!!). My family would prefer to go on a bike ride and I am wondering if there is a good tradeoff for biking vs. walking or if I should still try to attain the 10,000 steps PLUS bike with my family? Or make them go on a walk with me instead?!?

Can anybody suggest a good tradeoff that would not leave me feeling like I did not acheive a daily goal?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    All I can tell you is that bike riding is going to burn a whole lot more calories than walking.
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :smile: What I do is at my morning break at work I walk 15 minutes, then 15 minutes at lunch & again 15 minutes at my afternoon break. Then you can ride bikes with your family in the evening!:smile:
  • Juliebean
    Juliebean Posts: 317
    Options
    I work in an office too and I have been walking on my break at work. It's not much, just 15 mins, or about 3-4 laps around our building, but it gets me moving. Good luck reaching your 10,000 steps!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Here is a way to convert bike rides to "steps". I've worn a pedometer for a couple years and absolutely love it. I've also compared biking and walking with my HRM to get an idea of effort and calories burned.

Leisurely bike ride, no hills or very few hills = 100 steps per minute = about the same effort as walking at a leisurely pace 2.5 to 3.0 mph walking. (HR is about 55%)

Commuting speed, occasional low slope hill = 125 steps per minute = about walking at 3.2-3.6 mph = not breathing hard but definitely exercise (HR is about 65%)

Pushing a little speed, occasional hill = 150 steps per minute = walking at 3.7-4.2 mph = breathing hard on the hills. (HR is about 70%)

Constant pushing yourself speed, many hills = 200 steps per minute = walking at 5.0 mph or jogging above 5.5 = breathing hard entire time. (HR is about 85%)

Hope that helps! And the walking speed is different for everyone - it's just a general guideline.
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    hail to bike rides!! 'Nuff said :tongue: