Will too much sodium sabotage the rest of my healthy habits?

Options
So a few years back I had to see a cardiologist about dizzy/fainting spells. It wasn't anything major, just that my blood pressure was already low and had a tendency to drop even lower under certain circumstances. He didn't want to put me on medication since I was 20 at the time and would have to take it for the rest of my life and just suggested that I drink more water and increase my salt intake. I'm just wondering what kind of impact going over on sodium, generally not more than 500 over, will have on my success?

Replies

• EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    Options
    THE SODIUM WILL MAKE YOU RETAIN WATER BUT IF YOU KEEP IT AT THE SAME LEVEL YOU SHOULD STILL BE FINE BUT WITH A LITTLE MORE WATER WEIGHT
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    People will tell you that it does ... but I actually tend to believe those of us who routine consume high sodium fare slightly better than those people who are low and than have a high day. Today is my high sodium day because I have a long run scheduled in the morning. I dont have a colon and I find that if I am too low on the sodium I cannot hold onto any water... so I typically have a higher sodium diet with a higher still day just before my long run!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    In and of itself sodium has nothing to do with fat loss. Where is plays a role is in terms of water retention which for many of us will show up in the scale, and in raising blood pressure. Since you need it for raising blood pressure, that is not an issue for you. As far as retaining water, if you are consistent in your consumption your water levels will stay about the same, so it won't effect what you are doing at all.

I agree with the observation that for those who are seeking low sodium, having a high day effects them more. That has been my experience both in terms of water retention and in terms of my blood pressure going up. Not that is goes up to even pre-hypertensive, but it goes up noticeably.