Bathing Suits

Options
So today when I was shopping, I looked at bathing suits. This has always been hellish for me, but I am going to Myrtle Beach on vacation in a few weeks, and I've lost almost 45 pounds, so I thought I would give it a shot. Well, forget it! :grumble:

I'm about 5' 6", and weighed about 146 today. Admittedly, I am 53 years old, have had 3 kids. Years of weight gain and loss have taken their toll. I exercise, but mainly cardio, with a little bit of weights / toning. So I know that the total picture isn't going to look so hot.....but "it is what it is", and I can live with that. I just want to be comfortable and not look like a total frump. That shouldn't be too much to ask, right?

Well, apparently it is. First of all, even though I bought a size 8 dress pants at JCPenney's today, the size 12 bathing suits were too tight. When I tried on a 14, the top just sagged (like I said, it is what it is).

I do have a one piece that I bought at the end of last summer, at Sam's Club, of all places, that looks OK. But I really want a two piece (with a long top, of course!), and I like the ones with the little skirt that covers the tops of my thighs. But it seems impossible to find a top that fits - if is is big enough to "meet up" with the bottoms, the bust is too big (yeah - I lost weight there too, even though I sure didn't need to). You would think that separates would be easier to fit, but I just can't find any that work. :sad:

Replies

• Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Places like Target sell the tops and bottoms separately so that you can mix and match the sizes. I would suggest a tankini for you. I don't know if they sell those with the skirted bottoms, but I imagine that they probably do. You've lost 45lbs woman....be proud!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Two words: Miracle Suit. They are expensive but they hide all of your not so nice bits nicely!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I totally get where you are coming from. I've found that the suit designer help immensely. I have found a brand called LaBlanca. I swear, even overweight I look hot in these suits. You can google the brand. I know Dillards, everything but water, and Macy's carry the brand. It is a bit more expensive, but the pieces are sold as separates so you can fit them better....
  • GinaKurtz
    GinaKurtz Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! You should be SO proud of yourself! You're so close to your goal! Keep looking, you'll find one! & it sounds like you're looking for a tankini (more coverage up top that hangs down to your bottoms) which is usually my suit of choice too. You'll find one. Don't be so hard on yourself!

Oh, & make sure you're not shopping in the juniors sizes. They can be confusing with the placement in the stores, but the sizes are WAY smaller so that might be what you tried on... Good luck!
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the stores that sell the tops and bottoms separate, so you can get different sizes. I have a medium top and a large bottom(literally). I always have to pay more but its better, I need more support on the top, due to pregnancy, weight loss, and sagg : (
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Land's End! They cost a bit more, but the quality is excellent.
    Buy several options online so you can pick and choose what you like best and then return the "rejects" to Sears.

They have a lot of cute tops (tankinis) and skirt bottom suits!
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with one piece suits today! I hate bathing suit shopping. I just want to wish you luck. It's painful...I know.
  • danger2011
    danger2011 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't feel so upset! Never look at the sizes, just how it looks and feels! I usually cut out the size tabs on my clothes. It makes me feel better.
    I can understand your disappointment, as bathing suit shopping is never fun for me. After one child my boobs have headed south and I am always looking for the right bathing suit to hold the girls up! LOL! If you had success at Sams Club last year, why dont you try again, I am sure there are some nice styles there. I think I have seen the Tankini's you are talking about.

Good Luck and be proud of all you have accomplished losing all the weight you have, you should stand with confidence in these suits, imagaine to what you were 40 pounds heavier, I bet you would not have fit into all the clothes you tried on when you were heavier.

I decided that although my body is not perfect (yet) that I am going to enjoy every stage because too often I look back at pictures and wish for my body back....but when I was that size I always wanted to lose more and felt that I was fat. Now, I am embrassing it, feeling sexy, and agreeing with compliments about all my hard work. You should do the same the 40 so pounds were not easy to come off, were they! So, embrace it, show off your sexy new body!

All the best, Keep Shopping with Confidence!

Danger 2011
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Kohls had some cute separates today and on sale!!!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Check out Land's End (you can find it at most Sears stores), they have those long tank styles with the skirted bottoms (the best style IMO) and you can get different sizes. They are a little more pricey, but worth it when you feel good in a suit!

Good luck, I love Myrtle Beach, haven't been there in 16 years... great memories! Have fun!
  • grneyety
    grneyety Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what your budget is but I love Aerin Rose bathing suits. They are separates and the tops go based on your bra size so they will fit. I highly recommend to anyone that needs two different sizes.
  • asj0901
    asj0901 Posts: 141
    Options
    I would have some one measure you and then order a suit based on the manufacturers measurements. (since "sizes" extra emphasis on the quotes, vary) I like suits from Newport news because they have ShapeFX that are great a hiding stuff. Good luck!

http://www.newport-news.com/shop/category_splash.aspx?womens-swimsuits&gp_coll_id=2012&gp_cat_id=7505
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the tips and encouragement. :flowerforyou: Yes - I am looking for a tankini - that term just escaped me when I was typing my post. I'll see what I can do.