Post-Jog Headache

Options
Over the last two weeks I have developed a nasty headache after leaving the gym. It starts in my cheeks and moves up just above my eyes on both sides. Anyone else experience this? I never feel thirsty on the treadmill but thought maybe it was dehydration. So today I took a water bottle and made a point of drinking during my work-out-- still had the headache. Any thoughts/?

Replies

• amydcarlson
    amydcarlson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Have your blood pressure checked. I had high BP, and that was one of my problems.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I used to have that issue when I ran too. Did it happen immediately after working out or a few hours later? If it is a few hours, it might be an over exertion headache. I tend to get those when I try too do much or exert too much.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water throughout the day, don't over exert yourself (make sure your not going over your heart rate,) get plenty of sleep at night, don't deprive yourself of calories. Depriving yourself of calories your body needs, like working out on an empty stomach because you skipped lunch, can also cause headache. If your answer is "no" to all above, then you might ask your doctor to be safe. Good luck!
  • mark996
    mark996 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    When it comes to discomfort and stuff like this, I always tell people to just go to the doctor. There's no way anyone could give you any information that's pinpoint to your situation. It could be BP, it could be stress, it could be over exhertion. In the mean time just be careful until you go see the Doc.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    you're drinking enough water and eating plenty i trust.

but Yeah i'm with mark on this. just see the doc. could be anything.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Over the last two weeks I have developed a nasty headache after leaving the gym. It starts in my cheeks and moves up just above my eyes on both sides. Anyone else experience this? I never feel thirsty on the treadmill but thought maybe it was dehydration. So today I took a water bottle and made a point of drinking during my work-out-- still had the headache. Any thoughts/?

You need to make an effort to stay hydrated all day long, not only during your run.

When you are on the treadmill (or lifting weights), is your jaw hanging open and loose, or do you subconsciously clench your teeth or hold your breath when things get tough? Clenching your teeth or holding your breath will give you the sort of headache that you described--one that starts in your cheeks and then spreads. Very common issue.

So perhaps try really focusing on your breathing and keeping your jaw slack while working out.

If that doesn't help, then I would speak to your doctor.

p.s. Grinding your teeth at night (bruxism) can also produce this sort of headache.
  • HungryMom
    HungryMom Posts: 280
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughtful replies everyone. I was at the doctor last week for a re-check on something else and of course didn't think to mention this. *slaps forehead with heal of hand* My blood pressure is surprisingly good at each appointment. Atlantique, I am a nighttime teeth grinder and had not thought about what I do when I exercise so I paid attention last night. I was doing a good job breathing while lifting, but sure enough my mouth was clenched tight throughout my run. I made an effort to relax it and voila no headache last night. Thanks!!!!!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughtful replies everyone. I was at the doctor last week for a re-check on something else and of course didn't think to mention this. *slaps forehead with heal of hand* My blood pressure is surprisingly good at each appointment. Atlantique, I am a nighttime teeth grinder and had not thought about what I do when I exercise so I paid attention last night. I was doing a good job breathing while lifting, but sure enough my mouth was clenched tight throughout my run. I made an effort to relax it and voila no headache last night. Thanks!!!!!

I made this mistake at first too, which is why it occurred to me . And I also grind my teeth at night--have a few broken teeth which got the dentist to notice and give me mouthguard. No more morning headaches (and no more broken teeth! )

Glad it helped you figure out what was going on with you!