Mother of 4 dinner ideas just for me?

Options
So while I give my kids mac n cheese and nuggets, I usually try to give myself a healthy low cal alternative. But I need some more ideas that are easy that can serve 1-2 for me and my hubby. Thanks!

Replies

• caseynjason
    caseynjason Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    So while I give my kids mac n cheese and nuggets, I usually try to give myself a healthy low cal alternative. But I need some more ideas that are easy that can serve 1-2 for me and my hubby. Thanks!
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I usually only cook one meal for the whole family (they either eat it or make themselves a sandwich). I find this is a good way to model healthy eating and introduce the little ones to health food before they get hooked on McDuds :wink:

Sometimes, I'll make fish for the family (I don't eat seafood) and I will make myself an egg white omelette with a salad.
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I try to make a main dish for all - if the kids don't want it, they can make pb&j themselves. I then added a big salad or heat some frozen veggies. I will have a small portion of the main dish and a big portion of the salad / veggies and some fresh fruit.
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    With it being summertime and fresh veggies in abundance, or at least in season at the store...I've been using the George Foreman grill alot lately and putting either fish or boneless skinless chicken breasts, then cut up lots of veggies (squash, zuchini, bell peppers) and spritzed them with olive oil and "grilled" them to go with it. Or I cut up a couple cucumbers, mix some lite or ff sour cream w/a little vinegar, salt/pepper and dill and make a quick creamy cucumber salad. Been eating tomato sandwiches in abundance. I toast whole wheat bread in the oven, put two slices of tomato, a slice of skim mozarella, salt/pepper drizzle w/balsamic vinegar......mmmmmmm, good stuff!!!
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    With it being summertime and fresh veggies in abundance, or at least in season at the store...I've been using the George Foreman grill alot lately and putting either fish or boneless skinless chicken breasts, then cut up lots of veggies (squash, zuchini, bell peppers) and spritzed them with olive oil and "grilled" them to go with it. Or I cut up a couple cucumbers, mix some lite or ff sour cream w/a little vinegar, salt/pepper and dill and make a quick creamy cucumber salad. Been eating tomato sandwiches in abundance. I toast whole wheat bread in the oven, put two slices of tomato, a slice of skim mozarella, salt/pepper drizzle w/balsamic vinegar......mmmmmmm, good stuff!!!

Ohhh the tomato/mozarella sandwich sounds YUM! I know what I'm making for dinner tonight....:smile:
  • nhoffman08
    nhoffman08 Posts: 28
    Options
    I never make my kids a seperate meal, they eat it or like the others, they make themselves a PB&J. I will introduce new foods with foods I know they will eat. For instance I will bake some chicken, do a side of mashed potatos or rice(they love brocc & cheddar Rice A Roni) and a new veggie as a side. My son and middle daughter will eat everything I make, including veggies, my oldest is super picky. Our house rules are you must take at least one bite of everything on your plate. It's ok if they don't like it, at least they tried it. You'll find they like a lot more than you thought and can enjoy dinner time with you. If they don't like something, try re-introducing it a few months later, their tastes will change as they grow. Also, I found that Jennifer Seinfelds cookbook, "Deceptively Delicious" is a GREAT way to sneak in those pesky veggies!!!! the recipes are good!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I only cook for the entire family...So here are family ideas...

One the the hardest things to get my family to eat is our veggies. No der, right? So I always plop lettuce on every one's plates first (to make sure I don't run out of room on a plate or forget!) and then I let the kids sprinkle McCormick's Salad Toppings and their favorite Ranch Lite dressing on top. If I pull out fun extras and let them "decorate it" they eat it all up. So we have salad often. The greener the lettuce the healthier, so I always do Romaine. YUM!

Lately, our favorite family meal, now stay with me here...I HATE fish. Hokay, don't HATE it...oh wait, yes, pretty much do! But I have been buying Tilapia which is a white light non-fishy smelling fish from Publix. OH MY GOODNESS THIS IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD! The kids eat it like it was candy. It is very healthy and easy to serve. I serve it with salad, fruit, and bread dippers in EVOO, with a red wine (for hubby and me, not the kids!)

Chicken breasts in a glass 9"x13" pan. Lay the chicken in the pan, (optional) mixed veggies over the chicken, then a jar of pasta sauce like Ragu' over the top. Cook until done, about 375 for 55 minutes. Sprinkle light cheese over the top if desired (I don't, but friends of mine do.) This can be done with frozen chicken, just make sure the chicken is cooked though.

Chicken on the BBQ with Season All or your favorite spice - yum! Serve with a salad, corn on the cob, watermelon and rice.

We do turkey burgers on the BBQ - YUM!

Make your own pizza with wheat English muffins. You can buy turkey pepperoni, your favorite mushroom pasta sauce, and light cheese to sprinkle over the top. I then put a few sprinkles of my favorite spices over the top to zest up the flavor. When we have kids over, we do this with them verses ordering pricey greasy stuff (I hate pizza!).

We will often go to the seafood counter and pick up shrimp, crab meat or clams. Serve it with salad, bread dippers, and for my hubby and I, red wine.

Spaghetti with mixed veggies chopped itty bitty and made with ground turkey.

I really am looking for ideas too. This should be a good thread to keep up on!
  • caseynjason
    caseynjason Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, you are right. I should make a meal for everyone to model healthy eating.

Now that the kids are getting older (well oldest is 8), I have been getting out of the nuggets and mac n cheese rut, and making meals for everyone. I try to have a protein, grain, and either canned fruit or veggies. I like how everyone on here is big on using fresh veggies with the kids, I should do that too.

Hmm, who'd thought the simpler thing is to make one big meal for everyone??? Thanks guys!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, you are right. I should make a meal for everyone to model healthy eating.

Now that the kids are getting older (well oldest is 8), I have been getting out of the nuggets and mac n cheese rut, and making meals for everyone. I try to have a protein, grain, and either canned fruit or veggies. I like how everyone on here is big on using fresh veggies with the kids, I should do that too.

Hmm, who'd thought the simpler thing is to make one big meal for everyone??? Thanks guys!

I definitely go with the saying...

I cook two things in my house. Take it or leave it! And my husband and kids know it! :laugh: