Chalean... MAYBE...?

Options
Thinking about ordering Chalean Extreme on Ebay, but I think it may be similar to the circuit training I already do and I am not sure whether or not that would be as effective (shocking my body). For those of you who have finished it and or done some of it, what would you compare it to? I have been doing some strength, plyo, cardio circuit training off and on for over a year and am now on week 9 of the 12wk Jillian Michaels Winning by Losing program. Do you think it would still be effective? I need to switch something up after I finish my 12 weeks because I have had way tooooo many plateaus lately and it isn't making any sense. Also, if you did the Chalean Ext, did you also follow the nutrition?

What did you love...?
What did you hate....?
Any tips?
How much space do I need to do it?
How many days a week is it?
Will I be bothering my downstairs neighbors? lol

THANKS!

Replies

• harls
    harls Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    So, I've only begun Day 1 today so I'm probably not qualified to answer this, but I'll try!

What did you love...? -- I love her as a trainer. The workout went by quickly & she always reminds you what you're supposed to be doing so you never feel lost. You can go at your own pace and use your own set of weights.
    What did you hate....? -- Nothing so far, it's just a really good burn. You gotta push yourself to make it worthwhile.
    Any tips? -- Really push hard, use as heavy of weights as you can without hurting yourself, and do as many reps as you can without hurting yourself. The harder it is the faster & better the results!
    How much space do I need to do it? Not much at all so far! You do things like lunges and you lie down with your legs 45-90 degrees, but that's really the extent of the movement. No jumping around or anything so far.
    How many days a week is it?-- It's 3 days of weights/strength training, then 2 of cardio/yoga/abs. So, five days a week total, and the workouts are under an hour and go by quickly.
    Will I be bothering my downstairs neighbors? lol -- Nope, no jumping so far, I don't know about the cardio though since I'm only on day one!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    Thanks harls! I can't wait to hear more! :-D I found a copy online for cheap so I was thinking about giving it a shot!
  • RachelHancock
    Options
    I'm in the second month and it's been great, I've lost half a stone and loads of inches around my thighs, waist and arms...

You probably would need to buy weights Go Heavy Or Go Home as Charlene says! I just bought a 32kg set cos i knew that in order to fail a muscle after only 6 reps I'd have to push hard.

I have all the Jillian Michaels stuff and would definitely say Charlean Xtreme is better, the phases mean that in the first month you may not see great results on the scale but it will set your body up for maximum calorie burn in the 3rd phase, the muscle building phase also means you should eat more because creating muscle tissue requires lots of amino acids (protein) - It's a long term plan.

She's hilarious as well, I'm a 30 Rock fan and it's like having Jenna Maroney leading your workout...

Get it!!!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I completed CLX the latter part of last year and am currently doing a hybrid of Turbo Fire and CLX.

What did you love...? I loved lifting heavy weights. The heaviest weights I have are 30 pounders, but I think this was enough by the end. I also love that I gained a lot of muscle definition, particularly in my arms, back, and butt.

What did you hate....? I thought it got kind of repetitive each month since you pretty much do the same workout everyday of each week for the whole month. However, I think that's probably done for a reason. I found myself subbing some of CLX's cardio with other cardio workouts like Turbo Jam.

Any tips? If you can't afford weights, you can always get a variety of resistance bands.

How much space do I need to do it? I always did my workouts on a rug about 4x6 feet no problem.

How many days a week is it? It's six days per week. Three days are strength, 2 days are cardio, and one day is stretching/yoga. I would suggest adding more cardio on the days you lift since you won't be burning many calories.

Will I be bothering my downstairs neighbors? I don't think so...not anymore than any other cardio program.

With doing the hybrid now, I add HIIT workouts on my strength days. That has really helped me bust through a yearlong plateau.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Oh, while I didn't lose much weight, I definitely gained muscle. I didn't follow her diet, and I wasn't really counting calories at the time. You will find that you need more calories and more protein on lifting days, probably even more than MFP suggests. I know adding more calories and protein helped me through my plateau.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I totally understand the eating more thing, with circuit training which includes light and heavy days for strength training I eat 1500-1800 calories regularly. Also, I have some weights and resistance bands already but I will definitely have to get some heavier ones too! My apt has a gym with free weights, maybe there is a way for me to take the video there! I also do hiit intervals a few times a week :) whether its spinning or running I definitely don't go lazy in the cardio area. :) I am most definitely interested in chalean, but with my strength and muscle mass not being wimpy right now already lol I think I will definitely build to heavy heavy weight ha ha . I am 20 lbs from goal and definitely more focused on toning up and shedding fat! Thanks for the input. The more the merrier!
  • AshleyNicole8686
    AshleyNicole8686 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I did Chalean Extreme for the second time just a few months ago. I can't see your questions as I am typing this but here is my two sense. It was AMAZING! I loved it. I went from 145lbs to 116lbs in the 90 days, I followed the eating plan and made sure to get the right amt.of calories and did not eat any junk. I love Chalene and I loved lifting heavy weights. The cardio is really hard and there were days I wanted to switch it but if you stick with it you will see a bigger loss. I know this is not just me either because my sister in law just did and had almost the same results. She got her's on ebay for cheap but did not get the right workout schedule so if you need it let me know. Anyway I say DO IT and go all out if you want great results you have to put in full effort. Good Luck. :) If you have any questions let me know.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Awesome ashley! Thanks so much! I am out and about, I do most definitely want to stay in touch if I order this! :) could ya friend request me!!!? Any of you, actually! I love friends with similar interests! Very important! Thanks ladies!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Ordered it last night! I will get it late this week and I will start it after we move! :-D Thanks for the input everyone. If anyone else has anything to add- please do. :)
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    That is really great! I hope that the ebay version has the motivational CD!
    I had the luck and honor of knowing Chalene personally- and went to her first turbo kick camp- I lost over 100lbs but am up a bit - 2 sizes, now. I am back though. But if you have the motivational CD- listen to track 7- 1/2 way in it, she uses my story :) I have to keep listening to it to continue to initial motivation together :)
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    That is amazing!! It DOES come with the and I WILL listen to it and think of u! :-D COngrats on your loss. I am down 70 ish pounds and having a very hard time taking off the last 20! :( But I will make it happen! Keep up the hard work and congrats on getting back to it! Holler if ya need a friend!
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Great- I look forward to it :) Thanks- let me know if I can support you in any way :) I am going back to work tomorrow- I 've been out for 6 weeks due to my foot being cracked in 3 spots, but I still plan to log on at least one time daily :)