The Beer Diet

Options
GorillaNJ
GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
An Adams County blogger is planning to abstain from solid food for 46 days as he investigates an old tale about doppelbock beer, aka "liquid bread," first developed for the Christian season of Lent more than 300 years ago by monks in Munich, Germany.

J. Wilson, of Prescott, Ia., a home beer brewer for more than 14 years, is scheduled to begin his self-imposed water-and-beer-only fast on Ash Wednesday, this week. He plans to eat solid food again on April 24, Easter Sunday.

Unlike anything he has ever done before, "the idea is a little bit crazy," Wilson, 38, admits.

But "in beer-geek circles," as he put it, the story is often told of how the Paulaner monks created a dark, hefty calorie- and carbohydrate-packed beer in the mid-1600s to sustain themselves through Lent when no food was to pass between their lips.

"A couple of years ago I got this idea that I wanted to investigate the story firsthand," Wilson said, adding that he intends to write a blog, "Diary of a Part-Time Monk," as well as a book later.

In conjunction with Wilson's endeavor, Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery, in West Des Moines, will release a doppelbock beer, based on Wilson's home recipe, at a special keg tapping and Mardi Gras crawfish boil at 6 p.m. Tuesday.

Here's some of what Wilson had to say last week about his quest to endure what the legendary monks endured and the beer they left behind as their legacy.

How this will work: "Right now, the plan is to drink four 12-ounce beers a day... and lots of water in between."

The buzz factor: (Four beers spread throughout a day and consumed with food would not typically be intoxicating, Wilson said.) "I did a 36-hour test drive about a week ago, and I don't think four beers is going to be a problem.

"But I don't know what will happen after days of not eating at all. That's one of the questions I am looking to answer.

"Getting drunk is the last thing on my to-do list at this time. This is an historical study."

Preparing himself: "Truthfully, I normally weigh 140 pounds on a good day. Knowing that I was going to do this, I started trying to pack on the pounds in November. Right now I am up to 160 pounds."

One precaution: "I am working with a doctor ... and the plan is to see the doctor halfway through the fast and afterwards." (Wilson, who is editor of the Adams County Free Press, a weekly newspaper, said he consulted with the newspaper's owner before deciding to embark on this quest.)

Sharing the experience: "The goal is to post short, daily tidbits on how the fast is proceeding."

A lost rite: "From what I could find, I don't think (the beer fasting) practice is still taking place."

The beer he will drink: (Wilson teamed with Rock Bottom's head brewer Eric Sorensen to develop Illuminator Doppelbock, which will have 288 calories per 12-ounce serving and alcohol content of 6.67 percent. It will be sold at Rock Bottom, 4508 University Ave., West Des Moines. )

"As far as Iowa-grown beers, this is going to be new for most folks because the law just changed (March 10, 2010) and before the law changed it wasn't possible for an Iowa brewery to sell a beer like this because the alcohol content was too high." (The previous legal limit in Iowa was 5 percent.)

In previous Lents: "I do call myself a Christian ... but I've never given up anything so much as a bar of chocolate previously, and here I am this Lent giving up everything but that really wonderful thing called beer."

Follow Wilson's journey at www.diaryofaparttimemonk.wordpress.com.

Replies

• LazyMogg
    LazyMogg Posts: 162
    Options
    The Beer Diet or the Get Pi$$ed Quick Diet!

The ideal diet for someone who wants a quick road down to alcoholism.

Not recommended.
  • Gargoyle69
    Gargoyle69 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Good job Wilson!
  • laurabeth326
    laurabeth326 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think this is pretty cool. I work in a brewery and would love to see what comes of this.

I mean I think he should be fine, I read about a doctor who went on a "Twinkie Diet" where he only ate Little Debbies and Hostess snacks.
  • DoneWithTheFatGirl
    Options
    Interested to see what comes from this...
  • hadl0032
    hadl0032 Posts: 117
    Options
    Very Interesting! Thx for sharing!!
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    bump. Very cool
  • GorillaNJ
    Options
    I think this is pretty cool. I work in a brewery and would love to see what comes of this.

I mean I think he should be fine, I read about a doctor who went on a "Twinkie Diet" where he only ate Little Debbies and Hostess snacks.

Well I would rather have nothing but beer for a month then Twinkies!
  • tim_jennings
    tim_jennings Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    As a homebrewer I am really interested in how this comes out.
  • GorillaNJ
    Options
    For scientific and historic reasons of course!
  • tim_jennings
    tim_jennings Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    For scientific and historic reasons of course!

Of course!