from treadmill to outdoors

Options
So I have two more weeks until my first 5k. I have been training indoors on a treadmill and have easily gotten to 2.5 miles in 30 minutes. So, thinking I will do the next 2 weeks outdoors, I ran outdoors for the first time today. I thought I was going to die after the first 15 minutes. I had to walk 2 minutes then finished up with another 10 min run. So am I gonna be able to get used to this in two weeks? Does it get easier?

Replies

• swiss31
    swiss31 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem coming in 3 weeks for my first 10k... help!
  • ashayshay23
    Options
    I just ran my first race yesterday! It was harder than expected, because I also run inside on a treadmill. Do you use the incline on your treadmill or run on a flat surface? Keep practicing outside, it is definitely a different feel :smile: congrats on your achievement.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    start out slower than you think you should be running - every so often try and talk a little - if you can`t slow down

New runners almost always run faster than they think outside - it is also harder because you are running up hills even slight ones
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Pace yourself when you start, it's easy to go too fast when you're not on the treadmill! I actually run better outdoors than on a treadmill, it's not as boring!!!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    It does get easier, yes.

The treadmill makes things a little eaisier on your body in a few ways:

-The 'toe-off" (when you are pushing off the ground) is easier because on a treadmill, the ground is moving beneath you. You don't have much toe-off on the treadmill. You're going to feel this difference in your calves, so I hope you stretched a lot today!

-Shock. The treadmill is essentially a cushioned surface, so there is less shock to your body. Outdoors, your body must absorb the shock. Grass is the softest (if the ground isn't still frozen where you are), then dirt, then asphalt, then concrete. Avoid concrete if you can for now. It takes many months of running (8 or more) to build up the muscle and bone density to absorb the shock. You're going to be feeling it for awhile yet.

-Stabilizing your foot as it hits the ground. The treadmill is freakishly smooth and level. Outdoors, your legs have to work harder to keep you upright with each step and to deal with changes in incline, so you can see that your legs are going to find running outdoors a little harder until you build up more muscle.

All these new challenges also mean you're going to be a bit slower outdoors than on the treadmill, so ease up on the pace.

What you may want to do is run outside and then rest the next day. Or, run outside one day and run on the treadmill the next. this should help you from getting overuse injuries like shin splints.

And if you haven't gone to a real running store yet and been properly fitted for running shoes, now is the time to do that! They'll help protect you outdoors and you'll be used to how they feel before your race.
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    A general rule is that in order to recreate the effect of outdoor running, you should put your treadmill on a 1% incline (to account for wind resistance etc) - maybe try that for a few runs so that your body can get used to it?

Treadmill running is actually quite different to outdoor because the belt moves under you and you lift your feet, whereas outdoors there's nothing to propel you forwards. That being said, I'm sure you'll have no problem making the transition, just give yourself a few lower distance runs to get used to it!

Good luck with your race!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I started C25K on the treadmill and lucky it was only the first two weeks! I had always intended to do it outdoors but it's been raining a lot lately so I've had to do it indoors.

I've repeated week 2 outdoors and it was a lot harder. I actually had that lactic acid burn in my belly, something that I never get on the treadmill even though I run faster on the treadmill!

From now on I'm running outside because the body conditions itself against what you make it do the most. If it rains then I'll use the treadmill but I'll be setting an incline of 1.5 - 2.0% and I won't count it towards my C25K progression.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I actually find running outside to be easier, if you will. I think it's because it's easier to fix your pace if you're going too hard/fast or too slow. Just listen to your body. Don't start out too fast.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I actually find running outside to be easier, if you will. I think it's because it's easier to fix your pace if you're going too hard/fast or too slow. Just listen to your body. Don't start out too fast.

Amy, Im glad that you posted that because I was starting to wonder if I was just a freak. I love running outside and HATE treadmill running. I struggle much, much more on the treadmill and I pretty much despise it.
    That being said, I started outdoors and despite most of the weather (with the except of the below zero in winter) I stay off the treadmill...

This summer I am going to try to spend some time on the treadmill to get some speedwork in though.
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    Right now my 1 mile averages to around 16-17 minutes I am signing up for a 2 mile walk/run on April 9th I'm nervous 1 mile is hard enough for me and I gotta do TWO?! I am excited though! I hope to also be in the 160's by then but I doubt that happening It's 3 weeks and 6 days away... do you think that's possible? I haven't weighed lately but last time I weighed I was at 176 :/

I also run on the treadmill I've never ran outside I've only been running for a few DAYS though Pitiful I know I've been exercising since Jan 1 but I've not ran

So do you think running outside is harder?
  • Atlantique
    Options
    Right now my 1 mile averages to around 16-17 minutes I am signing up for a 2 mile walk/run on April 9th I'm nervous 1 mile is hard enough for me and I gotta do TWO?! I am excited though! I hope to also be in the 160's by then but I doubt that happening It's 3 weeks and 6 days away... do you think that's possible? I haven't weighed lately but last time I weighed I was at 176 :/

I also run on the treadmill I've never ran outside I've only been running for a few DAYS though Pitiful I know I've been exercising since Jan 1 but I've not ran

So do you think running outside is harder?

Physically, yes, running outside is harder.

But for new runners, the treadmill can be a godsend! For all the reasons I posted above in terms of avoiding injury, and also because the treadmill controls your pace.

I am getting back into running, as I also posted above. As I used to run literally for hours at a time, I FEEL like I can run a heck of a lot faster than I actually CAN these days. It is a monumental effort for me to run slowly as it feels so 'off pace'. If I had access to a treadmill, I could set a pace and work with that.

But I don't, so I am running outside. Imagine my surprise today when I used My Tracks (Android app) on top of the C25K app and discovered I was running faster than 8 minute miles! CRAP! Yeah, I can do that for 90 seconds, but if I don't slow down, I am NEVER going to finish C25K.

If I were on a treadmill, I'd be able to set a reasonable pace and stick to it. ;)

There are pros and cons to the treadmill. For new runners, I think the pros actually outweigh the cons as you are far less likely to injure yourself for all the reasons I listed in my post above in this thread. But I don't have the cash to lay out for a gym membership at the moment, so I am running outside, with the right shoes (CRUCIAL).

In an ideal world, I'd do what I did the first time I became a runner: one day outside and next on the treadmill. I'd alternate that way for months, as the treadmill days are so much easier on your body and protect you from injury (and I was not overweight the first time I became a runner!).
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Yeah I prefer running outside too - think it's more of a boredom thing on the treadmill though!
  • funsover
    funsover Posts: 39
    Options
    Great conversation. I was never a runner....ever.....but I have just started the C25K (Couch to 5 Kilometer) and all the hints and tips are really great and also, to know that I am not alone when I am struggling through even a short jog.
  • Atlantique
    Options
    Great conversation. I was never a runner....ever.....but I have just started the C25K (Couch to 5 Kilometer) and all the hints and tips are really great and also, to know that I am not alone when I am struggling through even a short jog.
    It's all in the pacing, honestly. If you can run slowly enough, you can cover any given distance or time interval.

Most of us try to go too quickly at first, and then flame out.

Pacing is my current struggle, and frankly, it was an issue for me even when I had been running for years when I was racing--I always started out too fast.

This time around, I am not using music. I tend to run at the cadence of the beat of whatever I am listening to, and right now, I need to think about whether I am running at a sustainable pace. I listen to podcasts while I run as they don't interfere with pacing. (jogtunes can help here if you know your pace and need music to keep going though.)

I alternate run and walk days, too.

The first time I became a runner, I was pretty fit and at a great weight. Exercised 5-6 days a week.

That time, I ran for as long as I could stand on the treadmill(at first it was like 6 minutes) and then finished my 45 of cardio on the elliptical or the stairclimber.

Once I got up to a half hour of running, I took it outside one day and back to the treadmill or elliptical the next. I found that if I tried to run outside each day, I got knee and hip pain. I hadn't built up the muscles, tendons and ligaments to deal with the pounding of outdoor running yet, and alternating outside and treadmill helped me to avoid injuries while still getting my cardio in. I honestly don't recall how long it took me to get to 'all outdoor, all the time, running', but it was months. And again, I must stress I was NOT overweight at that time--I was LESS prone to injury than are those carrying extra weight, as I am now. Now, I am taking it easy and smart so I don't injure myself and have to give up exercise for months.
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    It's all in the pacing, honestly. If you can run slowly enough, you can cover any given distance or time interval.

Most of us try to go to quickly at first, and then flame out.

Pacing is my current struggle, and frankly, it was an issue for me even when i had been running for years when I was racing--I always started out too fast.

This time around, I am not using music. I tend to run at the cadence of the beat of whatever I am listening to, and right now, I need to think about whether I am running at a sustainable pace. I listen to podcasts while I run as they don't interfere with pacing.

I alternate run and walk days too.

The first time I became a runner, i was pretty fit and at a great weight. Exercised 5-6 days a week.

That time, I ran for as long as I could stand on the treadmill(at first it was like 6 minutes) and then finished my 45 of cardio on the elliptical or the stairclimber.

Once I got up to a half hour of running, I took it outside one day and back to the treadmill the next. I found that if I tried to run outside each day, I got knee and hip pain. I hadn't built up the muscles, tendons and ligaments to deal with the pounding of outdoor running yet, and alternating outside and treadmill helped me to avoid injuries while still getting my cardio in. I honestly don't recall how long it took me to get to 'all outdoor, all the time, running', but it was months. And again, I must stress I was NOT overweight at that time--I was LESS prone to injury than are those carrying extra weight, as I am now. Now, I am taking it easy and smart so I don't injure myself and have to give up exercise for months.

I agree 100% with what you said. I never run 2 days in a row, and I think that has been crucial for building my running base without injury. I have to disagree though with new runners running on the treadmill. I agree that you should alternate them to a point, but when I was first running I started for 3 weeks on the treadmill and I died when I took it outside. I vowed then that I was going to stay outside... treadmill running does bother my hip flexors. I see too many people running with no incline, which is basically the same as running downhill ... once I add the incline (through gritted teeth) ... it was alot better!

I also agree with your theory of running = slowing down when it comes to distance. I have had to learn to slow it down when training for my half... because I cannot sustain that pace too easily and I flame out! Now I am somewhat of an expert on pacing myself, and wish I could push myself a bit more (hence going back to the treadmill every once in a while).
  • Atlantique
    Options

Most of us try to go to quickly at first, and then flame out.

Pacing is my current struggle, and frankly, it was an issue for me even when i had been running for years when I was racing--I always started out too fast.

This time around, I am not using music. I tend to run at the cadence of the beat of whatever I am listening to, and right now, I need to think about whether I am running at a sustainable pace. I listen to podcasts while I run as they don't interfere with pacing.

I alternate run and walk days too.

The first time I became a runner, i was pretty fit and at a great weight. Exercised 5-6 days a week.

Once I got up to a half hour of running, I took it outside one day and back to the treadmill the next. I found that if I tried to run outside each day, I got knee and hip pain. I hadn't built up the muscles, tendons and ligaments to deal with the pounding of outdoor running yet, and alternating outside and treadmill helped me to avoid injuries while still getting my cardio in. I honestly don't recall how long it took me to get to 'all outdoor, all the time, running', but it was months. And again, I must stress I was NOT overweight at that time--I was LESS prone to injury than are those carrying extra weight, as I am now. Now, I am taking it easy and smart so I don't injure myself and have to give up exercise for months.

I agree 100% with what you said. I never run 2 days in a row, and I think that has been crucial for building my running base without injury. I have to disagree though with new runners running on the treadmill. I agree that you should alternate them to a point, but when I was first running I started for 3 weeks on the treadmill and I died when I took it outside. I vowed then that I was going to stay outside... treadmill running does bother my hip flexors. I see too many people running with no incline, which is basically the same as running downhill ... once I add the incline (through gritted teeth) ... it was alot better!

I also agree with your theory of running = slowing down when it comes to distance. I have had to learn to slow it down when training for my half... because I cannot sustain that pace too easily and I flame out! Now I am somewhat of an expert on pacing myself, and wish I could push myself a bit more (hence going back to the treadmill every once in a while).

I agree to a point: if you are running on a treadmill in the hopes of moving outdoors, then put the treadmill on a 1.5% incline.

But some of these folks who are just starting to run are significantly overweight (50+ lbs) and not in the right shoes. I worry about injuries starting outside. But I am a worrier. ;)

And rest days are very important to any fitness program, yes.
  • evertongirl
    evertongirl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Im an outdoors runner...the fresh air and listening to the birds chirping etc helps set my mood... but with day light savings ending soon I will have to move to the treadmill somedays ..i think mixing up long steady runs outdoors with interval training indoors its what works for me.

When I was only running on the treadmill (years ago) I found I couldnt pace myself properly on the occasions that i ran outdoors (usually for an event) and I struggled. Running outside from the beginning this time I feel like ive learnt to pace myself properly.

I think the important thing is actually running - whether you are doing inside or outside you are doing it and thats what counts when you are starting. A lot the time the choice between inside and outside is beyond your control due to weather/time/kids etc
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    Amen --- my favorite phrase is a bad run is better than no run!
    :) I hope all the new people go and get the right shoes right away.
    I had to laugh, I am training my very thin friend for her first half marathon... and she mentions while we are running that she is sad she has never gotten a blister or chafing... she feels that these things are rights of passage and she is missing out... I just laughed and told her she was nuts!
  • Atlantique
    Options
    Amen --- my favorite phrase is a bad run is better than no run!
    :) I hope all the new people go and get the right shoes right away.
    I had to laugh, I am training my very thin friend for her first half marathon... and she mentions while we are running that she is sad she has never gotten a blister or chafing... she feels that these things are rights of passage and she is missing out... I just laughed and told her she was nuts!

There's no substitute for the right shoes, amen!

Your friend is nuts-you were right!

I ran 4 half marathons and lots of shorter races. Never had a foot blister, never had a black toenail, never had an injury. That's PLANNING and the RIGHT SHOES and SOCKS! Not a right of passage! LOL

ETA: Can we get a spellcheck on this site, please?
  • humpalc
    humpalc Posts: 140
    Options
    I love running on the treadmill and hate running outdoors - mostly because of the risk someone will actually see me running. I distinctly remember a teacher in elementary school teasing me about how I ran (scarred for life - lol) Funny thing, coached TRACK for a year just out of college (7-8th grade boys) - they were desperate. I remember running outdoors with them one practice, and a high school boy I worked with at the swimming pool saw me and said, "you've never run a day in your life, have you." me: "is it that obvious?" him: "I'm afraid so..." ha :)

No choice now, though - signed up for a 5K in May - planning a 10K in August WHOOT!!

Thanks for starting this thread, and to all the runners with advice, it's been so helpful!