Gaining weight instead of losing. HELP

Options
I am currently 216. I have lost about 14 lbs in 4 weeks. I am doing 30-40 minutes daily of cardio. I am on 1200 calorie but usually only hit about 1100. I never eat my exercise calories back. The past week I am on a gain. I don't know how this is possible if I am not eating more calories. Some days I will gain a pound or half pound then in a few days start to lose again. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I eat very healthy through the week and weekends I tend to eat more what my family eats but still stay below my goals. Is it to early for it to be turning to muscle and if it is that when will I start to lose again? I have lost 4 inches from waist and 3 from chest but not sure if still losing in inches. Help please very discouraged.

Replies

• Cassienz
    Cassienz Posts: 75
    Options
    The same thing is happening to me. I've heard that muscle weighs heavier than fat, so am assuming I'm beginning to develop muscle. But it's disappointing to see the scales going up anyway.
  • MaureenCreates
    MaureenCreates Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You're not eating NEARLY enough calories for your weight. Your body is going into starvation mode and storing your fat. Not eating back your work out calories is very bad too. Eating back your work out calories tells your body it's okay to burn the fat, because it's going to continue to get nutrients.
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I agree... The minimum # of calories should be 1200. And really, that should be the NET calories.... Your body needs the 1200 calories/day to fuel itself. If you're burning 600 calories with exercising, that means your body only has 500-600 calories to fuel itself (if you're only eating 1100 calories).

Also... you said you've lost 14 pounds in 4 weeks... Perhaps TOM is right around the corner? My scale goes up 2-6 pounds with TOM, then takes at least a full week to recover and go back down. Obnoxious, yes. But at least I know the "pattern" so I'm not easily discouraged.

Also... Water, water, water!
  • millesun
    millesun Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Ok here goes....1st eat AT least 1200 a day, your body need that just to function! 2nd please don't weigh yourself every day. Pick one day a week and stick with that. In fact when I 1st started I only weighed myself every 2 weeks that way I was sure I would see a loss, because a gain would have made me eat a whole cake! :mad: 3rd 14lbs in 4 weeks is a fast.....remember slow and steady stays off! :wink: and my last bit of "been there done that advice" (I started at 231lbs:frown: )is add a little weight training to your work outs. Muscle burns more calories (even at rest) than fat. :wink:
    Good luck and keep up the great work. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want more help.
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I had a quick peak at your diary...although your calories are low, start tracking sodium. Sodium and water were key for me to lost....you eat frozen meals and fast food for breakfast...this is probably putting your over your daily sodium intake each day even before you eat dinner.....

I totally agree with eating the exercise calories as well - your body needs fuel!
  • tonyaroseprewitt
    tonyaroseprewitt Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info I will try and increase my calories. I am just never full. I was a huge pop drinker and gave that up and was not used to eating because of the pop. Would too little calories cause me to gain wait? I thought it would cause me to stop losing but didn't realize it could cause gain as well. I will see what happens for a few days.
  • kevweath
    kevweath Posts: 6
    Options
    I think you are monitoring too closely with a scale. Water weighs a lot, and your body doesn't hold the same amount at any given time. If you are eating different things or eating at different times, this can also make a difference in what the scale says.

If you are still doing the right things, just focus on keeping them up. Eating healthy and exercising win out over time, but day to day or even over a few days, it might not show up on a scale.

I have lost 35 pounds - back in February I had a similar issue with the scale. I felt horrible watching the scale climb for that one week - for whatever reason it went up by about 4 pounds.

I just tried to ignore it and move on, and the reward was that just as mysteriously as the weight went on, it came back off and a little more as the month ended.

You are doing great - just remember that this is a long term thing - don't let short term things confuse you. And don't make it all about the scale. The scale is just one way to measure your health - you should feel good every day you feed yourself right, get some exercise and get the rest your body needs.

Good luck!:smile:
  • tonyaroseprewitt
    tonyaroseprewitt Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes sodium is my biggest to give up and I must admit I salt everything I eat. I will try and cut that and see how it does. Wow thanks for all the info it really does help.
  • oneiljen
    oneiljen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    First I would say quit weighing yourself everyday. Our bodies fluctuate so much that it will drive you insane. Your menstral cycle, illness, etc. are things that can effect your weight by pounds a day! Try just once a week. Same time and scale each week! I do first thing Monday mornings. As mornings seem to be your truest weight (unless you had a huge meal late night)

Second, you should not only maintain that 1200 minimum intake, but really should add those calories from your exercise back into your daily intake. You are doing the right things by eating healthy options etc, but your body needs more to accomodate with all your activity and to not start burning muscle away rather than fat. (A layman way to explain it I realize, but it would take a page if I tried the way my nutritionist, trainer, and doctor have)

I agree with an earlier post ...I don't like the word choice of "Starvation Mode", but do agree with the concept. You need to keep those calories up to a minimum of 1200 a day plus whatever you burn while exercising. It really can slow down the weight loss, and/or you are more likely to re-gain that weight back once you try to level off at your goal. Also by maintaing your caloric intake you are maintaining your metabolism. Keeping that going is key to success. That is why you hear so often to "eat breakfast no matter what!" and "Don't skip meals".

I believe that you can choose to have 3 good solid meals a day, or 5-6 smaller...its choice as to your hunger level, but make sure you get that minimum calorie intake! Think of your exercise calories as your reward! You earned it!

You are doing great! Muscle does weigh more and if you are doing any strength training it could be that. You most likely will start to loose again on a regular basis soon!

Good luck to you! I am sure it willhappen for you!
  • blessedwith3boys
    blessedwith3boys Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I also seem to be stalled at losing weight......I was told to cut back on sodium. There is a lot of sodium in packaged foods and fluid really makes me retain water! I had no idea until one morning (after a few days of drinking a good amount of water daily) I looked at my feet and noticed they were not puffy! I had no idea my feet were puffy, I just asumed they were fat. How is your fiber intake? That was another suggestion I got was to increase my fiber intake to help things move along. Do you drink water? I have not had a chance to look at your food diary.
  • mara232
    mara232 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    For me it helps to weigh my food on a scale especially when I am not losing. What I will find is I am underestimating how much I am eating (ie. Think I am eating 3oz of chicken but am actually eating 5oz). I agree about the sodium - it is the devil! :P
  • ronjaa
    ronjaa Posts: 65
    Options
    I have the same problem!! I hope it's muscles...