BMR - bodybug/fitbit/HRM - opinions

findingabetterme
findingabetterme Posts: 31
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been told that I have a lower then average BMR - I dont know if this is true or not because I odnt know what a BMR is supposed to "be". A few questions --
1. Can you get your BMR measured somehow?
It was also suggested to me that I get a bodybug or fitbit to see what Im actually buring all day without exercise.
2. Would wearing my hrm all day do the same thing? How are these items different?
I have a thryoid disease (1/2 a thyroid in my body, take meds daily) - I am sure that this is in some way going to effect my weight loss....so Im looking for some additional info.
Any advice or insight in any of these areas would be appreciated.

Replies

• What is a BMR?
    I have a 1/2 thyroid too and weight lose is difficult too. Let me know when you figure it out.
  • hedleyrocks247
    hedleyrocks247 Posts: 185 Member
    BMR is your Basal Metabolic Rate - which is what your body burns in calories just to stay functioning......google it for a more in depth explanation. If you'd like to find out your BMR there is a calculator in the Tools section at the top right hand side of this page :happy:
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    All BMR calculators are based on averages and I suspect that nobody has the exact same BMR. Accurately measuring your own BMR is really only possible under strict laboratory conditions. If you accurately and thoroughly record all foods and excercises and still don't lose, or lose a lot then you might want to adjust the BMR setting in MFP.

Also - calories burned as measured by HRM's, Bodybugg, etc. are also based on averages. The more expensive HRM's give you the ability to "tune" it by entering information about your specific metabolism. It uses this informaiton to adjust it's calculations. But, again, it is all really all just indicators and not 100% accurate measurements - but still very effective at managing weight loss.

One more thing to note about calories reported by HRM's - they report ALL calories burned during your exericse period, which includes those that are included in your BMR. So, you need to reduce the calories reported by your HRM by those included in your BMR. There are severl posts on here (including one by me today) that explain this in more detail.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    There are ways to get it tested. Local gyms sometimes offer it, so you might call around. Usually you don't have to be a member of of the gym to use that service. There are a few different ways of getting it tested. "Bod Pod" is one way (http://www.bodpod.com/). There are others too. These tests seem to be somewhere around $90 give or take. If you call your doctor's office, perhaps they can help you out as well.

An HRM won't give you an accurate measure. A BodyBugg or BodyMedia *might*. I have one. It seems to be accurate, but something is stopping me from putting complete faith in it.

edit: Here's a recent thread advocating BMR testing http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/190839-value-of-a-metabolic-test
  • p1xelate
    p1xelate Posts: 141 Member
    My HRM would not work well if you wanted to wear it all day. I love it for working out but when I first got it and was learning to use it I was reading it while sitting and reading the pamphlet. According to the HRM my HR went from about 60 to 250 and every where in between while sitting still. I was worried at first but found out that they are not designed for resting. It does a GREAT job while I am working out and doesn't fluctuate like that but it wouldn't work well for this use IMO.
  • erh2278
    erh2278 Posts: 19
    I have just gotten a bodybugg and I LOVE IT!!! I was in the Air Force for 13 years and I am a thick girl that can run, do push-up, sit-ups but when taped and weighed I was over what was considered 'normal'. I used a HRM for many years to help me but it never really made much of a difference. After breaking my back and getting medically discharged I have had an even harder time losing weight because of my limitations. Since getting the BB the last week of Feb I have lost 15lbs! It gives you a better understanding of how many calories you are burning throughout the entire day (even while you sleep!) If you have more questions you can either message me or check-out the website. Everyone is different but for me this has really helped me understand better what I am doing with my body and thus makes it easier to know what food to fuel it!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    I had my BMR tested by a lab (who came to our local YMCA). It was the 10 minute breath test. They said my BMR was a bit higher than normal and gave me a printout detailing their findings. It cost me $50.

I also bought a FitBit and started using in on Christmas Day. I wear it 24/7 and chart my daily calorie burn. This was extremely interesting to me, because I found out that my body is rather efficient. I do not burn anywhere near what I thought I did. So my higher BMR was offset by the lower calorie burns during exercise. I love the Fitbit, as it is unobtrusive, no monthly fees, you can view your progress right on the gadget, and has a sort of stopwatch action you can use to chart a specific activity (ie: a walk, or run, or workout).

Now that I'm tracking and tightly controlling my intake and burn, I am losing weight again (after a many month plateau).
This discussion has been closed.