Eating whatever you like???

Options
I was just wondering... do you allow yourself to eat whatever foods you want as long as its within your calorie allowance??

Im almost always under my calorie goal (just slightly) each day, and never really go over my other food group allowances either. In the last few days ive been having a sneaky chocolate biscuit here and there....but its still within my goal. Is this ok or should I try to avoid it incase I get too used to doing it?? :indifferent:

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    It's up to you! If you're getting all of your food groups, and still have left.. have a party haha..

I personally really try not to do that kind of stuff, but it's all personal decision :)
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    As long as I can control myself, I DO try to eat some "naughty" foods that I like a few times a week. Otherwise, I've found that if I completely deny myself, I eventually lose control and end up being 3000 calories over on a day from binge eating. Good luck!
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I think my diary is public so you can check and see. I eat whatever I want. I tend to moderate the amount and content some because I log it so I'm more aware of it.

I had slow steady progress for about a year or so and got down to my goal weight and a bit beyond. Over this past winter I gained some of it back, but I plan on working it off again this spring and summer.

So far it seems like it's calories in and calories out. It doesn't come off quite like the diary says it will but it comes off. Part of the difference could be the inaccuracy of recording calories burned in exercise and calories taken in from food. It's just hard to measure.

Hopefully it works for you at least as well as it has for me.
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If you have taken care of all of your nutritional needs that day- and have the calories- ABSOLUTELY! But nutrition first!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    :heart:

Sometimes, but I always make sure I've gotten all the nutrients (like the vitamins/proteins/carbs, etc) then i think about antioxidant foods yeah know healthy things....

AND THEN YES!!! - I defintely eat a sweet treat!!
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    To me this isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle change. So if I'm gonna eat this way the rest of my life you better believe I'm letting some naughty foods in! If I don't I'll just fall off the wagon and gain all the weight back! :) To me, you do what you need to keep yourself going down the right path! Good luck and good job on keeping the calories down!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    It's unrealistic to restrict all the foods you like from your life while you try to lose weight. If you do this, you may only crave them more which could result in a binge. If you have the calories for it, go for it. Just remember, moderation is the key! :bigsmile:
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    If I'm still under my calories (eating healthy) and I've gotten in a good workout, yes..I will treat myself to a piece of chocolate (fun size 3 musketeer) or a chocolate fiber bar.
  • Samiwhereareyou
    Samiwhereareyou Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I try to break up with cheese all the time and then slowly i will see cheese on the side and then cheese is just back in my life. So I try to be reasonable with cheese by getting the low fat kind and vegan cheese to curb my cravings and on speical occasions i will allow my self the indulgence of Humboldt fog.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Eat it and enjoy it! :smile:

I believe if you deprive yourself of the things you enjoy, you'll burn out and fall off the wagon. I'm having half a DiGiorno pizza tonight. I have one every week, and I've consistently lost weight without ever feeling, "Oh, I can't have that!"
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    i do for the most part... but i try to stay away from the things that i know i won't be able to stop eating once i start (like a bag of Lays or M&Ms).
  • em80
    em80 Posts: 91
    Options
    I still eat chocolate now and then.
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Life is too short to deny yourself things you enjoy eating. Limit them -- absolutley, but deny them -- NEVER! I eat those things I really like -- but in moderation. The fastest way to over indulge is to put an item on a "no-no" list.
  • fantomette
    fantomette Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    As long as I can control myself, I DO try to eat some "naughty" foods that I like a few times a week. Otherwise, I've found that if I completely deny myself, I eventually lose control and end up being 3000 calories over on a day from binge eating. Good luck!
    same here exactly!
    I don't believe in total privation!
    I keep some calories exactly JUST for guilty food.
  • appleofmyeye
    Options
    To me this isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle change. So if I'm gonna eat this way the rest of my life you better believe I'm letting some naughty foods in! If I don't I'll just fall off the wagon and gain all the weight back! :)

Exactly! The way I think about it is, after I reach my goal weight and start eating maintenance calories again, those treats (in moderation, of course) will definitely be included in my lifestyle! So a little bite of something sinful every now and then is okay. It's really only a problem if you go crazy and instead of snacking on just one cookie end up binging on the whole bag! :smile:
  • aecryan
    aecryan Posts: 89
    Options
    Yes! I try to have a small treat built in to every day.