Shoes for those 100+lbs overweight

Options
sonjavon
sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
Okay - I seem to be having the WORST luck with shoes. I cannot seem to find a pair of tennis shoes that work for me. I've been through 5 pair in the last 2 months... - they either break down completely or cause me so much pain that I can't wear them 2 days in a row.

I have wide feet - so I've been wearing mens shoes because they are wider than women's.
I have plantar fasciitis - so I need support and cushion in the heel - but I also need some cushion at the ball of the foot because i seem to be rough on that part of my foot.
I also have a very high arch.

I weigh 269 lbs - so there is a lot of weight on my feet.

For those of you who are 100+ overweight - what brand/type of tennis shoes do you wear? I've been to a runners store - they put me in Asics cross trainers and they worked for a couple of weeks - but they really limited my range of motion when I wanted to jog.

Replies

• twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    NEW BALANCE They come in several wide most comfortable sneakers I ever own I have several pair. and I divided my weight on my ticker bc looking at 94 to go upset me.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    im not 100 overweight, but ive heard good things about new balance
  • kvr414
    kvr414 Posts: 111
    Options
    I have very similar foot problems as you have described. and just like the other posts, I love my new balances!!
  • InstantSunshine
    InstantSunshine Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    FitFlop have just brought out some tennis shoes - with that sole in that their flip flops have. I also have plantar fasciitis and a friend who also suffers swears by FitFlops. So I got some of the boots and frankly haven't been out of them since. It's pretty much gone. You could try the shoes - they're sort of like Converse shoes.
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Well I have lost just over 100 pounds and back when I started I had all of the same issues! I also went through several pairs of shoes! THE ONLY shoe I could wear, and still do, was the skechers shape up fitness. These are one of the newer ones and don't have the higher heel like the first series of shape ups did. BUT I also got a pair of inserts, from crocs.com and put those in. I needed to make sure that I had as much padding as possible for m feet that at that point in time hurt just to do everyday walking.

I have also recommended this same configuration,to one of my friends here, that was having the same issues, and now she is working out twice as much.
  • jojolion3
    jojolion3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have wide feet and need to lose a lot...I only buy Reebok. they fit my feet the best and if you are walking or running shoes will wear quickly so they need to be replaced every 4 to six months.
  • kristarablue
    Options
    I have the same problems. Wide Frankenstein feet and I have to wear men's running shoes as well. I have also had plantar’s fasciitis, it will go away with a good quality shoe (at least mine did). I suggest going to a specialty running store and have them fit you properly, I can't stress this enough. The shoes will be expensive; however your feet will thank you. I used to always do new balance, however I have switched to Asics because they have a gel cushion for the feet and work well for injuries. I love them and you will have to get a new pair at least every three months if you use them alot. This is important because they get worn down and your feet or knees can begin to hurt. Good luck finding a good shoe, it is so important and worth spending money and time finding.
  • skhny
    skhny Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Cross trainers are not meant for jogging. You might try an Asics running shoe for jogging and running. Mizunos provide alot of support and have alot of padding under the ball of your foot - I personally do not like mine, I have the same issues as you and thought I would try them but if I try and do kickboxing or anything like that they make my foot hurt very badly. I do ok walking in them, I haven't tried to jog yet. My son who is a distance runner loves his Brooks - its all he buys (and we buy 4 pair a year because of the miles he runs!!). The other thing I will add is that I was told a couple of years ago that you should have 2 pair of sneakers and alternate between them (while you are still heavy). I do this and seem to notice they last longer and feel better. Fleet Feet stores provide excellent customer service if you have one near by you might try them. Good luck!
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    Go to a running store if there's one near you! A good one will measure, figure out how you lean when you walk, talk about your foot problems with you, and make recommendations based on that.What works great for one person might be totally the wrong shoe for you.

And honestly while I'm not 100 lbs overweight I'm about 60, and I've found that when I'm on my feet a lot I burn through shoes to the tune of a pair every two months - used to work a job standing and walking around a lot and I was spending insane amounts of money on shoes, but good pairs are definitely worth it!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Go to a specialized athletic shoe distributer that will video your feet as you walk on a treadmill. They pay attention to how your feet and ankles do when you walk. They have different brands available, but they fit you professionally based on your walking test. The ones my sister got from there are Brooks. I am diabetic and I was getting blisters on my feet and I also have neuropathy. My insurance will pay for me to get two pairs of shoes a year. Each of them have 3 sets of custom orthotics. I'm not sure if you are diabetic, but if you are and if you have foot problems from it...there is a way to get insurance to pay for you to get some proper fitting, well made shoes. I am 100+ pounds overweight and my feet give me fits. I am going through the process to get my Brooks right now. My sister loves hers (and she is 100+ pounds overweight) and she has had them for at least a year. I hope this helps.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    The shoe is important, but so is what is inside it! With your known foot issues, i would suggest getting custom shoe inserts made by a podiatrist. They are expensive, but well worth it. They will hold up for a long time, and give you support matched to your foot shape.

I struggled with terrible foot pain for over 10 years. I finally caved in and went to the dr. The shape of my foot was not supported correctly in my running shoes, straining a tendon and causing the pain. We tried a temporary adjustment to my current inserts, and the pain was gone immediately. I went from taking over 18 minutes to run a mile 2 weeks ago to running a 12 minute mile this morning. The rest of me was ready, just my feet weren't. The results are amazing to me. It was one of the most beneficial dr visits I've had in my life...
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I swear by my skechers shap-ups, I even wear the work version because I am on my feet all day (9hours) and then come home and walk on the treadmill in them. my leg pain has gone away. I have wide feet too.
  • losermomof3
    losermomof3 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    There is a new shoe that just came out by Rebox for people that are overweight...I think they are 70.00.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I know some people swear by the sketchers shape-ups, but I've heard a lot of negative reviews on those as well. In time they are very hard on your knees.

When I first started running my shoes were pathetic! I had a lot of knee pain because I had no cushion and no support. I went to our local running store and he did a gait analysis and looked at my arches in order to fit my foot to the perfect shoe for me. I ended up with a pair of Brooks and I LOVE THEM! The pain I was having went away almost immediately. I've heard good things about New Balance, too. That's what my running buddy wears. Either way, you're probably going to have to spend around $100 for a good pair of shoes, but it's definitely worth it!
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    I am at least 150 pounds overweight and am jogging, doing step aroebics, walking. I bought a pair of New Balance last week - they have helped me a lot. I found found that it helps me my bum knee in that they provide more stability.

Oh and if you have a Fleet Feet in your area - GO THERE!!!
  • sonjavon
    Options
    There is a new shoe that just came out by Rebox for people that are overweight...I think they are 70.00.

do you know the name of it????
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Have you had your gait analyzed? You can have it done at some stores that specialize in running shoes. I was fitted for Asics and Mizunos and though they both felt great, the particular make of the Mizunos I was fitted for provided the support that I needed. It also made a big difference (for me) to wear athletic socks, and not the everyday cotton ones. I must have spent an hour trying on the same pairs of shoes to get the right ones, but the guy was very patient and the whole transaction paid off. Best investment I could ever have made (in shoes)! I used to be only able to withstand a few minutes TOPS on the treadmill with my old shoes. With the Mizunos, I'm tackling cardio for a good hour (post weight training) before any tightness hits!
  • DonaGail
    DonaGail Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, I have over 100 to lose, bad foot problems (Haglunds/'pump bump'), wide feet plus I drive a delivery truck and am bouncing in and out of it all day long, so I am VERY hard on shoes. Usually every 6 months or less.
    I have nearly destroyed my feet by wearing cheap shoes, but 2 years ago I went to ****s Sporting Goods and talked to a shoe sales lady who sold me a pair of mens wide New Balance walking shoes and I am still wearing the same pair every day at work. They are wonderful and I will replace them with the same kind. They are so worth every penny.
    I put heel inserts inside of them under the lining and that helps a lot.
    Good luck, I hope this helps you!
    Dona
  • sonjavon
    Options
    Have you had your gait analyzed? You can have it done at some stores that specialize in running shoes. I was fitted for Asics and Mizunos and though they both felt great, the particular make of the Mizunos I was fitted for provided the support that I needed. It also made a big difference (for me) to wear athletic socks, and not the everyday cotton ones. I must have spent an hour trying on the same pairs of shoes to get the right ones, but the guy was very patient and the whole transaction paid off. Best investment I could ever have made (in shoes)! I used to be only able to withstand a few minutes TOPS on the treadmill with my old shoes. With the Mizunos, I'm tackling cardio for a good hour (post weight training) before any tightness hits!

I did go about a year ago to have my gait analyzed. Apparently I have a rather "odd" shaped foot with a fairly neutral gait. I walk to the outside of my foot but do not roll it. It was at that point that they put me in a pair of Asics. They lasted for a bit - but I felt like i was wearing a boot much of the time - so when I was ready to jog -well, it just wasn't happening,

I'm a stay at home mom - so I'm on my feet a lot and I wear my tennis shoes all the time. I don't mind replacing them regularly - but I'd like to have a pair last for more than 2 weeks without hurting my feet. LOL.

I'll go looking into New Balance and inserts again and may try on some Reeboks too.
  • ezrida
    ezrida Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi
    Maybe you will get many answers from people who want you to buy their favorite kind of shoes but believe me good shoes for one individual are bad for the other. I have plantar fasciitis and I have been through a long journey looking for a good shoe. A good shoe for one is not good for the other. An expensive shoe is not necessarily good for heel pain.
    You should find your kind of shoe, one that feels comfortable and give you support. It depends on many factors such as wide or narrow foot, high or low arch, your favorite kind of sport etc. You should try to use good cushioning shoe, with a large toe box, which has motion control and is not flexible in the middle. There is a good website that I use to take a look at from time to time. Many good ideas that I took from there -
    http://plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/plantar_fasciitis_shoes.html
    Take care & Good luck