Grief and Weightloss

Options
CaseyBee
CaseyBee Posts: 163 Member
My Grampa went home to be with Jesus this morning, and while I'm so glad he's no longer in any pain, I miss him terribly. I have something like 1270 cals left for today, but I don't feel like I can eat anything.

I guess I'm just looking for support in that I feel selfish thinking about myself and not wanting to hit Starvation Mode, and wondering how long that would take, but also just missing my Grampa Vic and wishing I could have been there with the rest of my family. Does that make sense? Probably not. My brain is in a million pieces right now... Have you lost someone close to you during your weight loss journey? How did you deal?

Replies

• missmmaynes
    missmmaynes Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your loss. Take care of yourself the best you can and just don't forget about eating something. You will get back to it when you're ready. {{{{hugs}}}}
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    So sorry about your grandad

Starvation mode doesnt kick in overnight so dont worry about it. Your body has a very good natural defence against starving...its called appetite and as long as you eat when you are hungry you will be fine. If i eat when i'm not hungry i can almost guarantee either vomiting or hours of nausea
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I love you, Casey, and I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandpa Vic. Right now is your time to grieve so don't worry too much about tracking things. You WILL get back on track when you're ready, and I WILL be here to kick you in the butt when the time is right. Right now, focus on you and your family. My suggestion? Go crawl into bed with Griffin, cry your eyes out, and fall asleep snuggling him. Both Ty and I did that when my grandma and his grandpa died. It's hard, but we get through it. And if you need a hug, I'm here. Lots of love from both of us! :heart:

PS: If you need me to bring you food, just so you'll eat something, I totally will!
  • suzi67
    suzi67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    First of all, I'm praying comfort over you during this painful time. As far as starvation mode, it doesn't happen after one day of not eating, you have to be under for an extended amount of time, so don't add that stress to yourself. Allow yourself to be what you need to be at this time without guilt.
  • CaseyBee
    CaseyBee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.
  • hwjssc
    hwjssc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    First of all I am very sorry for your loss...and yes I understand what you are going through my mother was sick for 4 years and my eating habits changed daily from stress.... Just remember your loved one wants you to be healthy...Keep your head up :)
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your grandpa, I hope you find comfort in remembering the great memories you have shared together in the past.
    While I have no answers for you, I totally understand what you are going through. My dad is suffering from terminal lung cancer and there are some days I am so upset I don't even think about eating.
    Time heals all wounds, take care of yourself. You will feel better with time.
    (big hugs)
    share ♥
  • MaryBachert
    MaryBachert Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Praying for you at this time as you feel so keenly the loss of your grandpa. It is so hard when we aren't there to say good-bye when our loved ones go home to be with JESUS. Those feelings of loss will be hard on you, and that is understandable. When I lost my mom, she was only 51, and it feels as if you are being ripped apart. Take time to grieve and like the others said, you will not go into starvation mode that quickly. Our thoughts go out to you and know others are praying for you also.