Whole Wheat

Options
OK I am thinking of changing our noodles in the house to whole wheat but I am afraid nobody in the house if going to like it including me, same with rice.

What is your advice and input please.

Thank you in advanced

Replies

• msl22
    msl22 Posts: 31
    Options
    i am not big on brown rice but whole wheat noodles are good
  • ItsOn130
    ItsOn130 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I don't like the whole wheat spaghetti.. But I don't notice much difference using the macaroni! Something about the spaghetti though... :noway:
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Change them over a little at a time.
    add some to your next pasta mix then take the white out a little at a time adding more and more whole wheat till its the norm
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I was worried about this too but I have switched and my family loves it. I make them eat nearly everything I do. I don't want to have to cook two separate meals. Tonight I fixed whole wheat linguine with sauce and turkey meatballs! My youngest son said "Mom these are some really good meatballs". You might be really surprised to find out everyone likes the whole wheat pasta much better.
  • Inkedsquid
    Options
    I find that the thicker the noodle is, the grainier it feels....for instance, I will not TOUCH whole wheat penne, but whole wheat angel hair pasta and no one knows the difference. :)
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    Do you already use whole wheat bread, bagels, buns, and any other bread products at your house? That would be my first step if you dont already. That way you and them could get used to that change.

Then I would buy half and half for noodles and make some dishes with half whole wheat and half white ones until you got used it.

For rice, I cant even stand white rice any more, but maybe try some wild rice blends if brown rice seems to much at first.

I think once you and your family get used to it, it will become normal and you wont even want the white, bland versions any more.

Myself, I can barely eat a sandwich with white bread any more, and pasta is almost the same way. I also dont have any interest in white rice unless it is in a dish that I can barely taste it.

Just my thoughts, good luck with your new additions to your diet!!
  • NewyorkG
    NewyorkG Posts: 2
    Options
    To me wheat noodles taste the same just heavier like you get fuller easily. It could just be me i don't know. But they're suposed to be really healthy compared to regular.

Good luck:)
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    If you decide to use half and half, be aware that ww noodles cook more slowly than regular pasta, so you should cook the two types of noodles separately and mix them together when they are cooked.
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    try catelli smart - it is still a white noodle but is packed with fiber....my family didn't even notice I changed and actually said it tasted better the first time I made it...little do they know :)....lol...
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i am not a huge fan of the whole wheat pasta, but i have been using a brown rice pasta lately, tinkyada brand, and they are awesome, i can't even tell the difference, except you need to cook it longer and it does not do well cold. so no pasta salads with it. and there is also that white pasta that has all the nutrition of the whole wheat..idk how it tastes, but it might be something to consider.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I only tried whole wheat pasta once. The taste was okay, but the texture was just…blech. It just ruined the dish for me. As for brown rice, I cook mine in homemade chicken stock and am now very fond of it. I grew up eating white rice with butter and sugar, so converting to the earthier flavor of brown rice was a challenge. My husband always found white rice to be bland and actually loves the brown rice cooked in stock.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,561 Member
    Options
    Try the white whole wheat flour by King Arthur. It also comes in organic. They won't notice the difference.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    I didn't use to like whole wheat anything. In fact, I hated whole wheat bread. Now I eat whole wheat everything. Rice, bread and pasta. You have to try something 11 times to like it.
  • suzieqdiva
    suzieqdiva Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I did not have any choice as I started having issues with white flour.. so my choice became - do I never ever eat pasta again? That was not going to happen.. so I started on whole wheat pasta & have been trying different recipe's now & actually enjoy it. There are lots of pasta options out there (saw a variety at Whole foods) made with complex carbs that are on my wish list to try..

Since I joined MFP, the focus on making better choices & the reason why, is helping these habits becoming more entrenched in me. Because for the first time I am REALLY starting to understand the role of complex carbohydrates.. and glad I am doing what is good for my body:-)