Defeated. Overwhelmed. Frustrated. Lost.

Options
In the past 2 weeks I have been to Dairy Queen 4 times...eaten an entire box of Girl Scout cookies...eaten a sleeve of Oreo's...drank soda daily...eaten pizza, burgers, fries and just about anything else I could get my hands on. I honestly believe, though I haven't checked, that I have gained at least 1/2 of my weight back. I've done the occasional workout. I've lied on my calorie intake...lied about my exercise...

I'm an utter failure...

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    self-awareness is good stuff. That is all.
  • tinat1963
    Options
    Being honest with yourself is always the first step. Tomorrow is another day... don't punish yourself for what you have done, you can't undo it... just remember it and try to do better tomorrow....
  • ashshields
    ashshields Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I get that way too sometimes. My last stint lasted for 2 weeks! Hang in there, it will pass and you'll be motivated again!
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    We all fall off the wagon occassionally (I, for example, ate a delicious cheesesteak, fried mac and cheese, WAY more beer than I should have, and 3 slices of pizza yesterday). The important thing is to wake up tomorrow and get back on track! You're not a failure, you're human.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    You aren't a failure. You fell off the wagon. Get back on.
  • kvr414
    kvr414 Posts: 111
    Options
    I had a few weeks like that. I didn't check the scale, I ate anything and everything I could get my hands on. I didn't drink water, I didnt work out even, I didn't even log food for 2 weeks straight. I only gained 3 lbs much to my surprise. I turned to my trusty friends on here and it helped me get back to it.

You may have a bigger or smaller gain than that, but the point is the human body is a miraculous thing and has the ability to bounce back! Just think would you rather binge for just a few weeks or would you rather binge daily for the rest of your life? it's YOUR choice! :happy:

Don't focus on your mistakes. you're come this far already, keep your head up. how bad do you want it. You've already lost weight, so you are able to lose MORE weight. get up, shake the dust off, keep going toward your goals!! you really can do this!:bigsmile:
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    You aren't a failure. You fell off the wagon. Get back on.

I totally agree with Heather. Just because you had a "bad day" or a "bad week" doesn't mean you've completely failed. Just pick up where you left off, don't worry about the "damage" that's already done. You can do it...the only thing standing in your way is you. Don't think of it as failure...read my signature quote and just think of it as a cha-cha. You'll be fine!! Don't focus on being perfect...just focus on making progress.
  • silverwolf0104
    Options
    Hey everyone has a moment of weakness sometime! You just get back up and try again to hit back stronger!!!! :) Make a pact that you will allow yourself one junk food splurge a week and no more that way you'll eat it guilt free and not feel like your starving yourself. Also use the money you save and put it towards a gorgeous dress or a new purse! The motivation can help!!! :)
  • Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    don't let it be a failure. let it be a lesson learned and move on. don't give up! I have done that and usually when I get there I DID give up. I had the mindset of I've blown it, I'm done. I've changed my way of thinking. You can too. You blew it for a day or 2 or whatever but get back on track and feel really good that you got past it. You can do it, do not give up =]
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Ok, now you've admitted it to yourself. You can do something about it. :)
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Everything goes in cycles, the main thing is to learn from the downturns. Begin to log everything again honestly (it's yourself you're lying to anyway, when you don't) and take a step back and see if there's anything you can think of that might be at the root of things. And most important of all, be patient and kind with yourself. You deserve to be healthy and well. :)
  • monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I am a binge eater. I have consumed more than 4000 calories in one sitting. The trick is to know your triggers. Whats going on with you emotionally? did something happen that made you upset or anxiety laden? If you can identify the feeling and deal with those you can limit these breaks or falls off the wagon. The best news is that you can start fresh tomorrow. And you aren;t a failure. You just human. Hang in there. I have been there and probably will be there again. Good luck.
  • kbloodworth
    kbloodworth Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Get on the scale. Now. That way you really know the damage instead of just guessing. It will probably be less then you think, but enough to scare you back into your routine. Think about all the work you've done to get where you are, and don't let 2 weeks ruin all your progress before. Everyone has set backs.

Then, if there are any other girl scout cookies in the house throw them out, pronto. I don't even make eye contact with girl scouts this time of year. Which is difficult because my niece is a girl scout and she lives with me.
  • jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options
    Not sure what your goal for pounds per week loss is set at but it may help to dial it back to only 1lb or even 1/2 pound per week. My wife started at 1/2 pound per week and has since moved it up to 1.5 pounds. This helped her ease into this.

Also, you could always count tomorrow as the first day 1. If you sarted off like me the first couple of weeks of starting this the weight dropped pretty quick.

Good luck!
  • indigochilds
    indigochilds Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    In the past 2 weeks I have been to Dairy Queen 4 times...eaten an entire box of Girl Scout cookies...eaten a sleeve of Oreo's...drank soda daily...eaten pizza, burgers, fries and just about anything else I could get my hands on. I honestly believe, though I haven't checked, that I have gained at least 1/2 of my weight back. I've done the occasional workout. I've lied on my calorie intake...lied about my exercise...

I'm an utter failure...

*Bops you on the head with a pillow* IT AIN'T OVER TILL ITS OVER....

Now your making me hungry..

Listen, so you went a little crazy.. It's okay. Just remember its all about your moderation. You can still have the burger and ice cream as long as its moderation just don't forget to eat your veggies

Do they have healthier options when you go to those places, soo it doesn't feel like your missing out on much.

Just hang in there.. and keep on going... We're here for you.
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Stop that negative self talk! You can do this! Start right now. Don't say that tomorrow is a new day, start taking care of you now because you are SO worth it! When I get in a funk, I tell myself that I can do anything for 1 day and starting right then is the moment to start the 24 hours. When you get up tomorrow morning, say to yourself that you can eat right for just one day - that's all you have to ask of yourself. Do that every morning and pretty soon you will be back on track.

When I look in the mirror and tell it like I see it (I'm a fat slob), it ends up being self defeating and not at all motivating. Belive in yourself and love yourself no matter what you look like on the outside.

You can do it!
  • Tina1128
    Tina1128 Posts: 37
    Options
    You may have a bigger or smaller gain than that, but the point is the human body is a miraculous thing and has the ability to bounce back! Just think would you rather binge for just a few weeks or would you rather binge daily for the rest of your life? it's YOUR choice! :happy:

Don't focus on your mistakes. you're come this far already, keep your head up. how bad do you want it. You've already lost weight, so you are able to lose MORE weight. get up, shake the dust off, keep going toward your goals!! you really can do this!:bigsmile:

Yea -- what she said!!! :bigsmile:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    It actually made me tear up when I read your post because I know I've said the same thing to myself too many times.

I wish I'd said this to myself, so I will say it to both of us: Stop beating yourself up. You are NOT a failure. You are human and you made mistakes with your eating and not being as active as you could have been. I think you just chalk this difficult week up to "I know I don't want to do this again" because it made you feel bad about yourself...and then you look forward.

I think one of the best things you did was to post this on here. There are so many of us dealing with the same struggles...we are all here for support and accountability.

If you'd like to add a friend on here to help with the support and accountability, feel free to add me.

Now go do something nice for yourself that is NOT about food (watch a funny show, get a manicure, take a hot bubble bath, play with a pet if you have one)!

Take care,
    Ellen
  • Hinto
    Hinto Posts: 52
    Options
    Please don't give up. You are NOT a failure. You're human, that's all. Be strong and start with baby steps and you'll get back on track soon enough.

Good luck!
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    First of all, I can't believe in two wks you would gain half of your weight back. Just get back on it, give yourself a week and the numbers will be down. It will take a while for all that junk to get out of your body. Now, once you get on track, please give yourself a cheat day, but controlled. Eat one meal that you really want but spread it over lunch and dinner. Isn't it better to cheat that one day, controlled, as a reward for eating healthy all week. This should help you to stick with it, knowing that you get that reward, controlled!!!! You can do this, this is for you, a better, healthier you!!!!! We are here for you, we want you to be successful!!!!! We want you to be all you can be!!!!!!