diet pills...

Options
has anyone here used diet pills for losing wieght? I have checked into myalli and am considering taking it to aid me in losing weight. I work mids and have a real hard time getting enough sleep to burn the calories, even though I have tried the excersize 30 min a day, 4 days a week... and a low calorie diet. It didn't seem to do anything but maybe cause me to lose a couple inches.
I'm just checking to see if anyone else has considered it or is currently taking a diet pill to aid them in their wieght loss... please let me know.. I am interested in hearing success stories.

Replies

• jenn4skinny
    Options
    has anyone here used diet pills for losing wieght? I have checked into myalli and am considering taking it to aid me in losing weight. I work mids and have a real hard time getting enough sleep to burn the calories, even though I have tried the excersize 30 min a day, 4 days a week... and a low calorie diet. It didn't seem to do anything but maybe cause me to lose a couple inches.
    I'm just checking to see if anyone else has considered it or is currently taking a diet pill to aid them in their wieght loss... please let me know.. I am interested in hearing success stories.
  • king4ar
    king4ar Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm going to try the Mega-T Green Tea pills. I think it's just a safe thing to try and green tea has been proven to help a little.
    I heard that the alli diet just makes you use the bathroom more. That doesn't sound like a safe diet for me. If you are up for it, good luck!
  • roshong06
    roshong06 Posts: 196
    Options
    I used to take Dexatrim...it worked for me...wish I was smart enough to keep it off back then...LOL...good luck to you.
  • bleachcse
    bleachcse Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Most people on this site will give you a big NOOOO to diet pills. I hope someone posts, because a lot of them can give you good info on that. Honestly, the best way to get the weight off is to do it 100% yourself, working hard and eating right. Pills can have side effects and most of the time you will gain that weight back. The ONLY time I've ever taken weight off and kept it off is by eating right and exercising. Every other attempt has failed or I've gained it back.
  • GrnEyz
    GrnEyz Posts: 360
    Options
    Diet pills are good for one thing....sucking your wallet dry. :tongue: yea they may work, but then if you talk to anyone who say's Oh I used to take this pill and it worked for me...has probably also gained back all the weight they had lost on those pills. I speak from experience. I used to LOVE diet pills....great for a quick fix. But the problem with quick fixes is that they don't last because the slower your body loses wieght the easier its going to be to keep it off. So, personally, I wouldn't risk the health risks that come with taking those things for a quick fix that won't last. Just my opinion though.

p.s. the way alli works is it inhibits the enzyme that your body uses to break down fats so they cannot be absorbed. The problem is, is that if it doesn't get absorbed it can only go one place...out the body. And if you mess up and eat a lot of fat then you could be RUNNINg to the bathroom a lot. (I know this because someone I know had an embarrasing experience because of alli). also, believe it or not there are fats that are GOOD for you. Monounsaturated fats help lower your LDL (bad cholesterol) by carrying it to the liver. Alli doesn't distingish between good and bad fats. So you're not only inhibiting the absorbtion of bad fats (saturated) but the good fats as well (unsaturated). So just keep that in mind when making your decision.
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    You have to look at the long term here. Are you going to use diet pills for the rest of your life? And by taking them what have you learned about weight loss? And about yourself?
    The goal here is to keep off the weight and the only way your going to keep it off is by learning how and I know some pill will NOT teach you that.
    Please do this the right way... the pay off may take longer but it will last in the long run.

-Adrienne:heart:
  • EllaBella
    EllaBella Posts: 140
    Options
    I tried Slim Quick (I think that's what it was called). Anyway I had a very negative side effect--depression. I've never had depression before, but I realized that after a couple of weeks, everything was bothering me more, I had more pity parties, and I even thought of suicide. When I had a mini break down in front of my husband, I finally figured out that taking the diet pills was the only thing I had been doing differently. I instantly quit the pills. It took me awhile to get my brain back to normal:smile:
    I will definitely never do diet pills again. That was their effect on me, not everyone is the same, but it seems I've only heard others have bad results.
  • eriquita
    eriquita Posts: 69
    Options
    75038.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    I'm taking Alli now and they do work. But as the instructions say "they will work with you, not for you".
    You have to do your part, I have been eating healthy and 2 years ago under the same program I was loosing an average of 2 pounds a week, now with alli I lost 3 in a week. You can even get a $10 coupon.
    Good luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • jenn4skinny
    Options
    thanks for the advice everyone. I don't plan on taking the pill to do all the work for me. I just needed information for aiding in my weightloss. I had been doing the excercize thing and watching the calories (which I will continue doing even while taking the alli pill) I think I'm going to try it. I have had no luck losing weight thus far with out it. I have been on a low calorie diet with excercize for 6 months at most only lost 6 lbs. 1 lb / month is not success as far as I'm concerned.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    The thing is when you take diet pills they will probably work to help you lose weight, but they won't work to help you keep it off. You'll go off the aids eventually and the weight will come back because you won't have REALLY learned what works for you. Have you seen a nutritionist? It may be a good idea.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I used to take Dexatrim...it worked for me...wish I was smart enough to keep it off back then...LOL...good luck to you.

I think this should sum it up for everyone here, the pills are a temporary fix, if you don't learn how to eat right and control yourself you will gain every ounce back....and then some. Diet pills have an extraordinary history of working at first and then you have to take more and more to keep getting results.

Pills like alli have made people stain their pants (from this very website this has been pronounced). Alli is still a baby on the market and why make yourself the guinea pig for the FDA. It never fails (phen-fen) that a few years after the "miracle" diet pills come out to consumers they get yanked because of "unforseen" health issues.

Let's face it, the only way you are going to lose weight and keep it off is to learn to eat right, exercise and quit trying all these "healthy" quick fixes. You didn't get fat overnight, no really, you didn't and you arent' going to get thin overnight. Weight loss takes time, it is frustrating but unless you have a health issue that has caused extreme weight gain you have no one to blame but you for putting whatever you wanted into your mouth and now you are paying for it, I am too. Get up and get moving and eat right and hold yourself accountable. When you reach your goals and you have learned to do it without the aid of artificial weight loss pills you will have a better chance of keeping the weight off long term, you will be healthier and very proud of yourself for doing it right, one time, and never going back to fat.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice everyone. I don't plan on taking the pill to do all the work for me. I just needed information for aiding in my weightloss. I had been doing the excercize thing and watching the calories (which I will continue doing even while taking the alli pill) I think I'm going to try it. I have had no luck losing weight thus far with out it. I have been on a low calorie diet with excercize for 6 months at most only lost 6 lbs. 1 lb / month is not success as far as I'm concerned.

As you loose weight you need to reasses your calorie goals, the closer you get to your goal weight the more you may actually need to eat because your activity level is higher. Also, most people do not count every morsel that goes into their mouths, do yourself a favor and redo your goals, do one with your current weight and your goal is to maintain and see how many calories you are allowed in a day, then do your goal weight with a 1lb a week in loss and eat those calories. Don't include your exercise in your lifestyle activity level, put your activity level for both if you were to do nothing but your normal routine each day, exercise calories are a "bonus", because you only get them if you exercise! Why waste hard earned money on a pill that as soon as you quit taking it you will surely gain the weight back?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options

All you ever might want to know about Alli--

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/11960-alli
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with the majority, diet pills and aids are really a no -no. You need to learn how to eat healthier, make better choices and exercise. It's a lifestyle change, not a "diet". I f you do all of that, the weight will come off and stay off. Save your money and don't buy into all the gimmicks out there. The old fashioned way really does work. There are many people here that have been around a while and will agree with that, myself included.
  • tanzmamma
    tanzmamma Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Diet pills are good for the quick short term .. but once you stop taking them.. the weight will come back!

I have lost 78 lbs since October 1st................................ WITHOUT taking ANY diet pills and without ANY diet gimics.

Just hard work......... counting calories/fat and exercising!

Good luck...........
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    DIet pills don't work.....if they did we would all be slim. There was a study done recently on one of the prescription pills that is now available over the counter. I think it was Alli. All of these pills say that they are effective in combination with diet and exercise. The study showed that in a 12 month period with two different study groups there was only a 6 pound difference is weight loss. And that pill is one of the more effective ones. Most of them are simply fruadulent.

Think about that. Do you want to pay the kind of money those pills cost and only loose 6 pounds in one year more that you would have lost on your own.

Your best strategy is to eat less, eat healthly, and exercise more.

Good luck and hang in there.
  • jenn4skinny
    Options
    Okay, so I'm not going to take it, right now. I'm gonna try another 6 months of doing what I've been doing. I did change my calorie intake, and am going to try to lose more than I initially planned on. I don't really want to pop a pill to lose weight, I"m not a pill popper in the first place, and I don't want my girls to watch and learn that it's okay to pop pills.

Thanks again everyone for the support, I'll keep you posted for my progress.
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    I think that is a very good decision Jenn!
    Look, I understand that 1 pound a month is not much. I'd be frustrated too. try to change the parameters. You already changed goals I read. Maybe try to exercise more or do different exercise.

As a mom, working full time and school it is very difficult to find the time for that, I know. But you can certainly get there without any pills. They do not really help you in the long run anyway, 'cause chances are you will not keep the weight you lost with them off.

As to working midnights: I work either 19:00 to 7:00 or 23:00 to 7:00 too. I decided to start my day as far as weight loss tracking is concerned at 21:00, and that works well for me.
  • meme2018
    meme2018 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I tried Slim Quick (I think that's what it was called). Anyway I had a very negative side effect--depression. I've never had depression before, but I realized that after a couple of weeks, everything was bothering me more, I had more pity parties, and I even thought of suicide. When I had a mini break down in front of my husband, I finally figured out that taking the diet pills was the only thing I had been doing differently. I instantly quit the pills. It took me awhile to get my brain back to normal:smile:
    I will definitely never do diet pills again. That was their effect on me, not everyone is the same, but it seems I've only heard others have bad results.

OMG !!!!!! :noway: I was taking Slim Quick. I had headaches soooo bad that I could cry. I haven't had one since I stop taking it and I'm sure when I was taking it that my blood pressure was all crazy. I'm just going to try and do this with healthy eating and exercise.:smile:

Pam
  • jenn4skinny
    Options
    finally its nice to see someone who knows where I'm coming from on the work mids shift. When I first started losing, I was doing very well... lost 6 lbs in 8 wks. Then, the more exhausted I became from working too much and not having a good sleep schedule, I plateaued for 5 months. True, I have kept inches off, just not weight, I gained it back, seven fold. I have never been this heavy not even with the pregnancies of both my children.

Hopefully changing my weight goals and my calorie intake will get me back on track.