SMELL BLEACH?!?!!? Ammonia???

Options
Why after I work out hard do I smell AMMONIA (its not really bleach its ammonia) like deep in my breath/nose? I am hot and sweaty but that is not what I am smelling! Also I can still smell it while I am in the shower so its def not sewat!!! Any ideas???? Check my food diary if you think its food related.

Replies

• Roukie
    Roukie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I experience the same thing, I have no clue why it is either. I'm interested to see if anyone has an answer.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    That is strange. Do you feel okay otherwise?

This might be something to talk to your doctor about.

Check out this link. It may be related to you:

http://www.cardiofiles.net/i-smell-bleach-after-a-hard-workout-328447.html
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Hmmm..I don't think it's food related. As for smelling that in the shower, sometimes I can smell bleach strongly in our water.....otherwise maybe its...well, the body. Not to get into too much detail, but it might just be your own body odor that has a bleachy smell. Sometimes my husband has this when he's a bit ripe....haha, it's all good, I don't think there's anything to worry about...
  • barneygoogle
    Options
    Do you work out while cleaning your floors?
  • PudgeMuffin200
    Options
    lmao smelly cat
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I found this answer online, check it out and research to see if it is true for you.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/290746-acidic-smell-after-cardio-exercise/
  • EmilyT85
    EmilyT85 Posts: 9
    Options
    The same thing happens to me! I just assumed I was weird. I smell a more ammonia-like smell. So strange.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I found this on Livestrong.com. Maybe it will help explain it. I hope it helps.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/290746-acidic-smell-after-cardio-exercise/
  • LOVEthighSELF
    LOVEthighSELF Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    LMAO NO I am not working out while cleaning floors! Its not my body odor because I am the only one who can smell it! And its not my water cause I smell it in or out of the shower! Think its bad for kidneys or liver???
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    your not showing any water intake so you may not have enough water intake.
  • McBoBo
    McBoBo Posts: 87
    Options
    Okay so this might SOUND stupid but here is what I am pretty sure it is: Your body's PH. Like "Strong enough for a man, but PH balanced for a woman" I ONLY notice it after I work out. I think while you are sweating out (your body's cooling system) I think the PH pheremones (sp?) are released thru your pores. I notice it most when I PUNISH a work out. Like when I just do like 250 cals and a quick circuit afterwards for whatever reason (usually kids/daycare related cuz I'm a single mom) I don't smell it. But the othe day I burned 535 cals and NO weight training and I smelt it.

That's my guess, and what I believe it is myself :happy:

Edit: After reading that article on the smell coming from amino acids in the muslces, if I understood correctly, due to a lack of Carbohydrates makes sense...I have been on a long term low carb diet so on my longer workouts I must be running out of energy reserves. Makes sense.
  • FatDoctor
    FatDoctor Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    That could be not ammonia, more like acetone - ketone by-product of abnormal pathway of fat utilisation that happens in the absence of carbohydrates. Happens usually in people starting low-carb diets and diabetics. Drink more water at least 6-8 glasses of water a day, make sure to consume reasonable amount of carbohydrates. And if you have got diabetes please see your doctor.
  • britt_fit
    britt_fit Posts: 169
    Options
    Yeah I would just ask your doctor. Sometimes you can just e-mail them and that way you don't have to go in and pay if it's nothing big!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I smell dog do do sometimes when I'm running.
  • LOVEthighSELF
    LOVEthighSELF Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Not on low carb diet, and not diabetic... hmmm def curious.
  • michlingle
    Options
    Hmm, maybe it's the whole ketone thing. When I went low carb/no carb for a wedding I noticed my breath smelled terrible, my pits were sweating and smelly, and I had really bad gas.......other than that, if I have a really good sweat fest at the gym, I stink. There's just no nicer way of putting it...
  • michlingle
    Options
    Hmm, maybe it's the whole ketone thing. When I went low carb/no carb for a wedding I noticed my breath smelled terrible, my pits were sweating and smelly, and I had really bad gas.......other than that, if I have a really good sweat fest at the gym, I stink. There's just no nicer way of putting it...

Well, maybe see your doc.
  • PattiPositive
    Options
    I wish I could just say like on some of these answers
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Increase your carb intake. Basically, when you don't have enough glycogen (carbs) stored in the muscle and liver or enough carb intake to fuel the activity, then the body has to breakdown protein to convert it to carbs for fuel. It is actually a by-product of carbohydrate burning that helps the body burn fat for fuel, so if you don't eat enough carbs, then the body makes carbs from protein so that it can break the carbs down to be able to burn fat for fuel during your workout. Anyway, the breakdown of protein into individual amino acids and then the breakdown of those amino acids to make the glucose needed causes the nitrogen from the protein/amino acids to be a by product that the body has to get rid of so it is sent to the liver and converted to urea and then sent to the kidneys to be excreted. Sometimes it is too much for the liver and kidneys to get rid of just through urine, so you will literally sweat it out, which is why you will smell it after a workout. It is actually in several body fluids which is why you may have the same smell on your breath. It's a sign of ketoacidosis. It's not only rough on the liver and kidneys, but the acidity of your blood can be out of balance which can cause all kinds of problems. Increasing your carb intake, especially right before exercising, can help though.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Not on low carb diet, and not diabetic... hmmm def curious.

Even if you aren't on a low carb diet, you may still be consuming fewer carbs then your body needs to fuel your workouts. You may be one of those people who needs a higher carb intake. I'm that way. I have to have 70%+ carbs to get all my body needs for my normal activities because as a trainer I'm extremely active and burn a lot from my daily life not just from exercise plus I lift heavy for my workouts which requires a lot more glycogen in the muscles.