help! healthy food on a budget?

_rocketcity
_rocketcity Posts: 6
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
OK everyone, I need your help.
One of my biggest problems is that I really have to stick to a somewhat limited budget when it comes to food shopping. This tends to push me towards food that isn't really the greatest to be buying for constant eating. I buy pastas and stuff like that mostly because it's cheaper and goes farther (if you know what I mean). I'm sure many people are in the same boat.

This being said, can anyone help by recomending healthy, somewhat affordable foods that won't make me cringe when I check out??

Thanks so much, any advice is welcome!

Replies

• sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    decent healthy food being the most expensive is my huge problem too. unfortunately the only advice I have is that if you can't get fresh fruits and veggies, frozen are the next best thing. I suppose the same goes for fish. I mean we want fresh, but.... I am on a budget too.
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    I struggle with this, too. My only advice is to shop at Trader Joe's(hopefully there's one in your area). Healthy/organic food and really not expensive!
  • deannar417
    deannar417 Posts: 193 Member
    I am in the same boat. I cant afford to eat everything healthy. I still havent found how to eat like that unless I rob a bank LOL And I dont wanna go to jail so that's out LOL Well if anyone knows what to do....HELP
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Coupons to start! And then watch for sales. Fruits bogo, I find a lot of the frozen steamer veggies bogo, find a friend with a membership to a club such as Costco. Buy chicken breast in bulk. Find the local farmers market and get all your fruits and veggies way cheaper! Sometimes you can get meat there too..
  • ms_erica
    ms_erica Posts: 173 Member
    try a local farmers market...if one is not available shop fruits and veggies that are in season..they tend to be much more cheaper.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    www.brokeandhealthy.com

Fantastic gourmet food on budget.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    I stick to things that don't go bad because of the food waste. Try to avoid buying anything in the processed aisled (stick to the outside aisles). Also buy pastas, rice, and anything that goes a long way. Buy meat frozen in bulk.

I also make a lot of vegetarian dishes because of the cost of meat.

Stick to cheaper fruits and veggies - apples and bananas instead of expensive berries. Root veggies are super cheap too!

http://www.brokeandhealthy.com is a great site too.
  • I know... it's so tough. I see things I want but can't justify spending money I need for rent on something that will last me for a meal and a half. I will stick to the frozen veggies too. One day we'll get those fresh ones! haha

And there's a trader joes about an hour away from me, i think... maybe i'll head over and just stock up. i've heard a lot of good things about that place!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    I've found that here in Joplin, MO, some of the smaller grocery stores actually have cheaper and better quality produce and meat than a bigger store like Wal-Mart does. If you have an Aldi or a Food 4 Less in your area...definitely check them out!! I also plan ahead...we get paid every 2 weeks so we make a 2-week menu and buy groceries according to that menu and nothing else. You'll find that you have plenty of food to last the whole 2 weeks and you save a TON of money because you're not just buying what looks good at the time. And as far as meat goes...a piece of meat from the grocery store is usually twice as much as you actually need in a serving, so try cutting it in half....that will save calories and money!
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Do you have a bulk food store close? I stock up on healthy things like beans, steel cut oats, almonds, even whey protein powder; and all for much cheaper than grocery stores.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    I highly recommend emealz. they give you an entire meal plan for a week (dinner) and for my choice, walmart low fat, it is under 50 dollars. You pay 5 bucks a month, but I save about $200 every month of groceries now. They also have low carb, gluten free, veggie, and meal plans for 4 or more people. Just Google e-mealz and take a look at their sample menus.
  • Athena413
    Check to see if you have a local farmer's market, too. They're usually way cheaper on produce and it's fresh from the farm and tastes super yummy!
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    i'd recommend finding someone with a costco or sam's club membership, and tagging along with them next time. there are lots of healthy offerings - tho most of them are frozen - but at least they will keep well. when i used to have a costco membership, my favorite frozen things to stock up were: 5lb bag of strawberries (great for smoothies), skinless and boneless chicken breast fillets, and raw peeled shrimp. as for fresh food, they're definitely a great deal as well, and you can freeze any unused portions.

trader joe's is an inexpensive option too, especially for cheeses and nuts. ok, cheese is rather high-fat, but they're a source of diary! ;)
  • Athena413
    Oh...and if you like oatmeal...you can get a pretty decent sized canister of old-fashioned oats for less than $2 and then just get some frozen berries to mix in with it...pretty cheap and lasts a while and the oats will fill you up.
  • extreme1der
    extreme1der Posts: 14 Member
    My local super market is a monster when it comes to buying fresh fruit--so I go to Sam's Club! Lots of fresh fruit and you get 3 times as much as in a store!
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Rice cakes are not to expensive for snacks!

Chicken breasts can be used for a ton of things! You can rub different Mrs. dash seasonings on them, cook them in a pan, cool, chop up and use for tacos, salads, sandwiches, in a quick chili, with some pasta, and many other things! 1 package is 3-4 dollars and can easily get 3-4 meals.

A package of tilapia fillets are a couple of dollars and usually come four in a package. A box of brown rice is not a lot of money and you can cook rice with chicken broth, instead of water, add some seasonings and have that with tilapia and chicken.

Packages of dry beans are only a dollar, or two, and you can cook those in a crock pot all day and use those for several different meals throughout a week.

That's all I can think of right off of the top of my head! I will add as I think of some more.
  • Thanks everyone! Luckily I do have a local farmers market,,, I'll go there and check it out, for some reason I just assumed they'd be more expensive- which is silly. I don't have any bulk stores nearby but there is one about an hour away so I'll take a trip and stock up. I'll also check out all those sites, you guys are so helpful!
  • jcb2kds
    jcb2kds Posts: 40
    I hate that unhealthy stuff is always cheaper than healthy stuff. Flea markets usually have a huge variety of fruits and veggies really cheap. I also shop at Costco for milk, bread, fish, etc. because bulk is cheaper and freeze most of it so it lasts.
  • adurk
    adurk Posts: 14
    I'm dealing with the same problems being a broke college student. Besides a lot of fruits and veggies I love things like progresso soup which is cheap and filling and low in calories, frozen veggie steamers because they are cheap as well and won't go bad like fresh veggies, and sometimes I get lean cuisines because they're super cheap and not too bad calorie wise even though I don't suggest eating them too often.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    OK everyone, I need your help.
    One of my biggest problems is that I really have to stick to a somewhat limited budget when it comes to food shopping. This tends to push me towards food that isn't really the greatest to be buying for constant eating. I buy pastas and stuff like that mostly because it's cheaper and goes farther (if you know what I mean). I'm sure many people are in the same boat.

This being said, can anyone help by recomending healthy, somewhat affordable foods that won't make me cringe when I check out??

Thanks so much, any advice is welcome!

The Treasure Box try this $32.00 quality food
    MARCH MENU*
    Only
    $32.00
    per box
    *We reserve the right to substitute any items due to
    availability. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
    TO ORDER GO ONLINE AT
    www.thetreasurebox.org
    Order Deadline:
    MARCH 15th
    Pick Up On:
    MARCH 26th
    1.5 LB. BONELESS BEEF SIRLOIN STEAKS*new tbox item*
    3 LB. SPLIT CHICKEN BREASTS *new tbox item*
    1.1 LB. BONELESS SKINLESS CHICKEN THIGHS*new tbox item*
    1.5 LB. PARMESAN ENCRUSTED SOLE (W/C) *new tbox item*
    1 LB. GROUND TURKEY
    2 LB. FRANKS