ALmond Milk?

Options
naesue
naesue Posts: 401 Member
Has anyone ever tried Almond Milk? My mom tells me that it tastes pretty good and that it has almost half the calories of regular fat free milk. I'm thinking about trying it in my diet. Anyone have any thoughts, oppinions, or feelings on it?

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    We just started using almond milk and I like it pretty good. I'm not a big milk drinker, but like cereal, so this works great for me. Now, I will drink the vanilla flavored stuff though...that is really good!
  • butterflyinamber78
    butterflyinamber78 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Just switched from soy to almond, I HATE regular milk. The vanilla is super sweet, the regular is kinda like milk, very tasty, and has a richeness the soy lacks. The light has 60 cal per 1 cup serving, so its really good stuff, and it has 50% more calcum than regualr milk.
    God I wish I could spell....
  • Pinkribbon_Doc
    Options
    i love it! I get the original almond milk and 1 cup is 60 calories. I drink it straight or you can use it in cereal or whatever. It tastes a lot like milk, only with the slightest aftertaste of almonds.
  • bigsardine
    Options
    I use almond milk a lot because real milk makes me gassy :). I think it tastes pretty good. I'd suggest you give it a try and see what you think. You can find it at most grocery stores these days, at least in the area where I live.
  • kksn
    kksn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    The original (non-flavored) almond milk has ~1/2 the calories of milk (depending on what kind of milk you drink). I use the original flavor on oatmeal (cold and hot both) and it adds a really great creamy nutty flavor. I also really like it in smoothies or with protein powder because of the thicker texture. I don't drink it straight, just use it as a part of a greater dish, because I really enjoy the flavor of milk and am not lactose intolerant. Also, almond milk just can't compare to real milk when it comes to protein. But still, it really adds something awesome to a lot of foods when used instead of milk and I am definitely and advocate of having some in the fridge at all times! :happy: Enjoy!
  • kbloodworth
    kbloodworth Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Delicious. I have a dairy allergy, so I use almond milk in breakfast shakes/smoothies.
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yes I recently discovered it! It tastes great. I buy the unsweetened one which is only 35 calories and I use splenda to make it sweet without extra calories. I have used it to make a smothie, and with my oats and regular cereal and so far it tastes great.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i like almond milk a lot! my pick is almond breeze unsweetened vanilla, which is just 40 calories a cup! i use it mainly for smoothies. i've tried it a couple times with cereal and it's not bad. it has a nutty flavor and has consistency of skim milk.
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    DELICIOUS!! I love the unsweetened for most things. The original or vanilla is good also. I like soy milk and use that as well.

Try it and see what you think!!
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    i prefer nonfat soy or nonfat regular milk. both have more protein.
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i love using the sweetened vanilla in smoothies, so yummy. it's also pretty good for cereal. not a fan of the unsweetened or regular flavours though, i find it tastes a little watery to me. the sweetened chocolate..well...almonds and chocolate, how can you go wrong :P but if i want a glass of milk, since i am lactose intollerant but lovvvve the taste of milk, i drink goat's milk. so yummy and none of the annoyance of intolerance i get from cow's milk.
  • Scidoc
    Scidoc Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i like almond milk a lot! my pick is almond breeze unsweetened vanilla, which is just 40 calories a cup! i use it mainly for smoothies. i've tried it a couple times with cereal and it's not bad. it has a nutty flavor and has consistency of skim milk.

I use the same :)

I also use Soy Slender - Vanilla unsweetened or Chocolate flavored. It's 70 calories a cup...I tend to use that more for adding to my coffee, since Almond milk in hot beverages (or any kind of cooking) isn't that great.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Organic Almond Soy Milk is my preference. Very light, not too sweet, and none of the allergy reactions I can get from milk products.

Enjoy!
  • chicnsweet83
    Options
    I don't drink regular milk, to heavy and a yucky flavor. coconut milk is very light and 80 calories per 1 cup of milk. It's really good and organic as well.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Once I got a taste of almond milk I was happy to kick regular milk to the curb. I like the plain almond milk - not fond of vanilla. I use it with cereals, pair it with snack bars or chocolate treats, and use it in place of cow's milk when baking.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Silk almond milk (I get the original because vanilla would be too much sweeter than regular cow's milk). I use it to cook with, drink, and eat with cereal. The chocolate almond milk is good too! I am never switching back to cow's.

BTW it has WAY more calcium and vitamins than cow's milk and less calories!
  • naesue
    naesue Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I think I will try it. Does the unsweetened really need to be sweetened? I'm not really worried about the protein content I am on a carb free diet at the moment and am good with protein. Mostly looking at it to lower my calorie intake.
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    just tried it for the first time last week and I love it. Also, a bonus for me, it has 45% daily calcium in one cup:smile:
  • ljshamout7
    Options
    It is pretty good but the calories depend on the kind you get. The vanilla is sweet, good in coffee. My daughter was lactose intollerant and uses almond or soy milk all the time even though she can tollerate lactose now. She really likes it. Good luck!
  • jsjlandy
    jsjlandy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I recently started drinking unsweetened almond milk and I really like it! I don't know that I would drink it straight up, but I really like the taste in cereals and I've used it in oatmeal. I like it A LOT better than soy milk. The unsweetened kind is 40cals/cup and it's good.