St. Patty's Day food

Options
nellajane24
nellajane24 Posts: 108 Member
I am part irish, and thus celebrate the blessed day, usually with some type of ham/cabbage dish. But this year I'd like to try something new, and was wondering if any of you guys had some good Irish recipes for the occasion?

Replies

• jon_dub
    jon_dub Posts: 166
    Options
    I don't cook it but i love bangers and mash.. it is my favorite

http://www.recipesmania.com/bangers-and-mash.html

Ingredients
    2 large onions
    Olive oil
    2 large pork sausages per person
    Sufficient potatoes for a large portion of mashed/creamed potato per person
    Butter
    Milk or cream
    Fresh parsley to garnish the finished mashed potatoes

Method
    Peel the onions and thinly slice and place in a frypan with olive oil. (Traditionally they use lard/shortening, but we are more cholesterol conscious these days.)

Cook the onions until golden brown, then place on plate with kitchen paper to drain and keep in a warm oven until serving.

Prick the sausages a few times with a fork to allow fat to escape while cooking. Place in frypan over a low heat until cooked, turning once or twice during cooking. A low heat is used to ensure they are fully cooked.

While the sausages are cooking, peel and quarter potatoes. Boil in salted water until soft enough to mash/cream.

Drain the potatoes and mash adding butter and milk or cream until the potatoes are soft and smooth.

Chop parsley and mix with the creamed potato, then serve on warm plates, with sausages and onions.

Variations and Comments
    The traditional Irish Bangers and Mash recipe is the same as above, but you only lightly mash the potatoes, leaving a slightly lumpy consistency and then grate cheese over the top of the hot mashed potatoes.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    We always do the corned beef/cabbage with irish soda bread...so that's not really much different from ham/cabbage. The soda bread rocks, though!
  • nellajane24
    Options
    i've never tried soda bread, sadly, but definitely going to! thanks!
  • Athena413
    Options
    It's pretty easy to make, but kind of tough...great for dipping in the juice of the corned beef and cabbage, though! Let me know if you need a recipe!
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    Lamb stew with soda bread.
  • Athena413
    Options
    Lamb stew with soda bread.

Where the heck do you get lamb?
  • nellajane24
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing myself- where do I get lamb? lol I'm thinking good ole' Walmart doesn't sell it, but who knows. I've never had to look for it before!
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing myself- where do I get lamb? lol I'm thinking good ole' Walmart doesn't sell it, but who knows. I've never had to look for it before!

I don't know what stores you have in your area, but I have found lamb at Safeway, Winco, Raleys, and Trader Joes. Although I don't make my own lamb stew. I typically go to one of the Irish pubs in San Francisco for my fix.
  • nellajane24
    Options
    Thanks, Bryan! I actually found some today in walmart! I was shocked!! I would love to try the ground lamb. Ehh.. that sounds kind of sad. Poor Mary's little lamb, all ground up. But oh so good! lol
  • Athena413
    Options
    Thanks, Bryan! I actually found some today in walmart! I was shocked!! I would love to try the ground lamb. Ehh.. that sounds kind of sad. Poor Mary's little lamb, all ground up. But oh so good! lol

That's hilarious! ...I'll have to see if our Wal-Mart carries it, because we don't have any of those other stores around here. We're too podunk...
  • Paradis
    Paradis Posts: 54
    Options
    corn beef brisket,cabbage,potatoes,carrots.Same thing I have had ever since I can remember as a kid.And it is my husband b-day too.He never had this meal before us dating 17 years ago.He has loved it and liked it as his B-day meal.