Fat Burning Furnace

Options
Hi everyone :)

I've just started reading a new book called "Fat Burning Furnace"

The book suggests a new way of thinking of weight loss.

Did anybody try it? does it work?

I would love to hear comments :)

Thanks!

Replies

• timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Bumping
  • wrn1979
    wrn1979 Posts: 27
    Options
    What are the principles behind it? I will tell you if it's legit.
  • kerenvaknin
    kerenvaknin Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    according to the book, you should workout in the following way:
    - exercise 3 times a week
    - no cardio at all, only strength
    - the strength workout is done in the following way:
    perform a whole body workout, high intensity (that allows you to do only 8 reps), 1 set of each machine.

so it sums up with 1 set, 8 reps for each machine - total of about 30 minutes workout.

They say that no cardio workout is needed and you can shed 2 pounds a week.

What do you say?

• wrn1979
    wrn1979 Posts: 27
    Options
    according to the book, you should workout in the following way:
    - exercise 3 times a week
    - no cardio at all, only strength
    - the strength workout is done in the following way:
    perform a whole body workout, high intensity (that allows you to do only 8 reps), 1 set of each machine.

so it sums up with 1 set, 8 reps for each machine - total of about 30 minutes workout.

They say that no cardio workout is needed and you can shed 2 pounds a week.

What do you say?

It's actually quite similar to the cardio-style strength training that is becoming very popular. It's grounded in scientific evidence that shows that high-intensity interval training causes an afterburn effect and is much more efficient than steady-state cardio for burning calories. What happens (and the book can probably explain this better than I can) is that your metabolism continues to be amped up for hours after your workout and you continue to burn calories at a higher rate than you normally would. How much of a higher rate is sort of up in the air according to the evidence, but my suspicion is that it's going to be highly individualized based on your body-type, exercise background, lean muscle mass, etc.

My suggestion to you in order to get the most out of it:

Don't be afraid to go heavy with the weights. A lot of women (I can't see your picture or screen name while I'm typing this, forgive me if you're a guy) are afraid to go heavy with weights because they don't want to "get too bulky." You won't, most women don't naturally produce enough testosterone to "get too bulky."

I would be willing to bet that if you go heavy with the weights you're heartrate will be higher than you ever imagined. You will protect the muscle mass you have, probably add a little along the way, and burn a LOT of calories.

I've been doing density sessions (which are similar to what you describe) and they absolutely destroy me in 20 minutes. The great thing is that as you get stronger and your conditioning gets better you'll instantly know it because your 30 minute work out will become a 28 minute workout, will become a 24 minute workout, etc...then you'll know it's time to add weight to your lifts.
  • kerenvaknin
    kerenvaknin Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    thank you so much! you helped me a lot!

I'm indeed a woman :) and I will start to follow this workout!

up until now I have been doing only cardio exercises at the gym, but I think that it's time to build a little muscle before I lose it all (because of my diet).

Thank you!! :)