lactic acid help

Options
hi guys, i've started doing the c25k programme after a long period of being inactive,but by god its hell on earth, not because i'm short or breath but because of the ammount of lactic acid thats building up my lower legs are just in bits from about half way through (i've just done the second day so i know its early days), i'm really surprised at how bad it is in relation to how laboured my breathing isn't, i almost feel like giving up but that means i'd be back on the sofa twiddling my thumbs again.

i used to run a fair bit a bout ten years ago but never had this that bad back then even when sprinting.

please tell me it will get better (obviously only if it will) and is there anything i can do to reduce this in future, i don't want to give up this time and need your help

Replies

• pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Yes, as you continue to train one of the adaptations is your lactic acid levels will change. So you can go longer with out having them build up. You just have to keep it up. However, with aerobic exercise-endurance your body relies more on aerobic glycolosis which does not use the process-anaerobic glycolosis that builds lactic acid. That being said, again-yes it does get better. It is one of them many great adaptions our body makes when we continue to exercise-so keep up the good work!!
  • aprilmssmith
    aprilmssmith Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I had been walking with intervals of running for about 4 months when I started Couch to 5k. My legs were super sore! I was surprised because I didn't think the amount of running that first week was much more than I was already doing. Keep going. Every day that you go back helps work out the soreness and build your endurance.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    Yup, as pftjill stated you will adjust.

I don't know how affective they are, but I have seen supplements that are supposed to combat lactic build up.