Dinner side dishes non vegetable

jaydensmommy2010
jaydensmommy2010 Posts: 129 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
Hey guys.. I'm looking for some healthy side dishes for dinner. I already have vegs, but need a "potato." What would you recommend. I used to always use rice pilaf and pasta roni type dishes. Please help!!!!

Replies

• Maybe a form of cous cous, or brown rice, or erm....sweet potatoes. I don't know. I wish you luck in finding things, though.

Jean
  • Brown rice, lentils, beans, barley, quinoa, really any grain or legume ... there are some nice recipes out.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Sweet potatoes are always yummy -- you can just microwave them or roast them.

I love red potatoes too -- either in mashed potatoes (made with chicken broth or nonfat milk) or roasted with some olive oil, rosemary and parsley.

You can also do a cauliflower/potato mash for less calories and still the potato taste.

Rice pilaf is not a bad choice either -- make your own and it goes really well (and not too high calorie) with lean meat and veggies.

Also have to say that you don't HAVE to have a starch (potato/rice). If you want one that is fine but it isn't necessary.
  • ocsurfmama
    ocsurfmama Posts: 127
    Actually a real baked potato is a great filling side. Just be careful not to top it with fattening flavorings. I use a bit of greek yogurt on top since it's better than sour cream. Also if you need that touch of butter, one pat won't hurt and then season with pepper and spices.

Other sides I use is spagetti squash. It really does fill that gap, without being high calorie. Have you tried sauted apples? Sliced and sauted with cinnamon, it will compliment many dinner foods. Jasmine rice with your own added spices is also a great alternative.
  • blankcanvas
    blankcanvas Posts: 177
    Quaker instant grits (packets)are a quick and perfect single portion at about 100 cal or baked sweet potato fries are really good:)
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Cous cous, polenta or quinoa (or maybe even salad!)
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Brown rice
    sweet potato
    red potato
    stuffing
    pasta
  • pandairwin
    pandairwin Posts: 8 Member
    I have roasted sweet potatoes at least once a week. Peel, slice, toss with olive oil, kosher salt and cinnamon. bake at 375 for about 40 min or until cooked. I use the same recipe, minus the cinnamon with red potatoes.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    What about Tofu Shirataki?

I had these the other day for the first time. I kid you not, they were awesome! I had the spaghetti version.

http://www.house-foods.com/Tofu/tofu_shirataki.aspx
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Never mind. I see you don't want pasta type dishes. Sorry.
  • jaydensmommy2010
    Pasta dishes are fine, I'm just looking for something else besides vegetables... My husband eats A LOT of processed junk (he is very skinny though... haha) so I'm just looking for some things both of us can eat. Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. I'm not a huge cooking fan so I always used to do whatever is quick and easy, which obviously isn't the best...
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    What about something with fruit? I cooked some sliced apples in the skillet with some oil a while back....I had cabbage in there too but you wouldn't have to if you don't want. I added a little red wine vinegar on top and it was great.
  • jaydensmommy2010
    thank you! that sounds great! Thanks for all the ideas I will try them!
  • SaraEWrig
    SaraEWrig Posts: 88 Member
    I buy a really awesome whole grain loaf of bread from La Brea. I buy several at a time, freeze and take one out each week. It's my starch a lot of evenings - very good with a little olive oil or real butter!
  • rebrafe
    rebrafe Posts: 64
    I make mashed cauliflower, as if it were mashed potatoes....my boys can't tell the difference!
This discussion has been closed.