Help I'm at a Weight stand still!!!

Options
Good Morning MFPers!!:flowerforyou:

I need your help! I can't seem to drop below the 190 pound mark!! Either I will go up 1/2 - 3 pound or drop back down to 190. I'm getting super frustrated over this :explode: :mad: ! I'm working 30 min at least twice a day and eating as healthy as I can get. What am I doing wrong:frown: ?!?

I'm trying to stay as optimistic about the whole process but it's been 2 weeks and I'm still in the 190's.

I am happy that my weight started at 195 when I began and now its at 190.5 but I feel that the scale refuses to drop below this weight.:angry::angry:

Any health food and exercise suggestions?!? Should I cut out certain foods, workout more,sleep earlier.... Please help me because I'm tempted to throw my scale out the window!!:mad:

Replies

• divalovesyou1
    Options
    Good Morning MFPers!!:flowerforyou:

I need your help! I can't seem to drop below the 190 pound mark!! Either I will go up 1/2 - 3 pound or drop back down to 190. I'm getting super frustrated over this :explode: :mad: ! I'm working 30 min at least twice a day and eating as healthy as I can get. What am I doing wrong:frown: ?!?

I'm trying to stay as optimistic about the whole process but it's been 2 weeks and I'm still in the 190's.

I am happy that my weight started at 195 when I began and now its at 190.5 but I feel that the scale refuses to drop below this weight.:angry::angry:

Any health food and exercise suggestions?!? Should I cut out certain foods, workout more,sleep earlier.... Please help me because I'm tempted to throw my scale out the window!!:mad:
  • myfitz4life
    myfitz4life Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    YES THROW YOUR SCALE OUT THE WINDOW!! LOL

Hmm, a few things may be going on.

You may have hit a plateau. This means that your body is used to the exercise you have been doing. Try something new that uses different muscles than you did before, like siwmming instead of a treadmill or aerobics instead of a bike at the gym. That way you can use your entire body and burn some fat.

You may be in a food rut. Are you eating the same foods everyday? Try some new healthy recipes, or eating more frequent, smaller meals to keep your metabolism up.

You may be buliding muscle from exercising, which weighs more than fat. Just because the scale doesn't say that you lost weight doesn't mean that you didn't lose inches.

Don't weigh yourself too often, either, Your body weight can fluctuate greatly throughout the day and from day to day simply from water retention and eating a meal.

If all else fails I guess you could lower your calorie intake a bit and see if that makes a difference.

Hope this helps and good luck!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating?
    Are you excercising?
    Are you eating excercise calories?
    What types of foods are you eating? Foods high in sodium can cause your body to hang on to excess water, causing you to bloat.
    Is it that time of month? I always put on 1 to 4 pounds around then. It's water weight and will drop quickly afterwards.
    2 weeks isn't really long enough to be considered a plateau....
  • divalovesyou1
    Options
    YES THROW YOUR SCALE OUT THE WINDOW!! LOL

Hmm, a few things may be going on.

You may have hit a plateau. This means that your body is used to the exercise you have been doing. Try something new that uses different muscles than you did before, like siwmming instead of a treadmill or aerobics instead of a bike at the gym. That way you can use your entire body and burn some fat.

You may be in a food rut. Are you eating the same foods everyday? Try some new healthy recipes, or eating more frequent, smaller meals to keep your metabolism up.

You may be buliding muscle from exercising, which weighs more than fat. Just because the scale doesn't say that you lost weight doesn't mean that you didn't lose inches.

Don't weigh yourself too often, either, Your body weight can fluctuate greatly throughout the day and from day to day simply from water retention and eating a meal.

If all else fails I guess you could lower your calorie intake a bit and see if that makes a difference.

Hope this helps and good luck!

OMG!! I didn't think about any of that! This is Great!! I will definetly look in to those options thamks SOOOOO Much!
  • divalovesyou1
    Options
    How much are you eating?
    Are you excercising?
    What types of foods are you eating? Foods high in sodium can cause your body to hang on to excess water, causing you to bloat.
    Is it that time of month? I always put on 1 to 4 pounds around then. It's water weight and will drop quickly afterwards.

Wow, you had a lot of questions for me to think about! :laugh: I eat 3 times a day. I may have 1 -3 low cal snacks throughout the day! I exercise twice a day 30 min in morning and 30 min in the evening! Sometimes I eat the exercise calories (depending on what mood I'm in) but, I try not to as often. I eat a lot of smartones meals, whole wheat bread, light packed veggies and fruit, 100 cal snacks, portion control normal meals, drinks lots and lots and lots of water! I try to stay away from salty, greasy and heavy foods.

I think my "flow" will be arriving soon :blushing: LOL! But, I never seem to gain weight (unless I do and just don't notice it)!

Thank you so much for all of your help!! This really gives me a lot to think about!!:smooched:
  • AbbyIsWangsterful
    AbbyIsWangsterful Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Your doing AWESOME!!! You may want to increase your exercise over time so that your body doesn't just maintain the muscle your building but to build new ones (also try doing different exercises for different parts of your body); maybe increase 5mins every week or two. Try measuring and portioning your food, eating only the serving size, having a calorie limit. I measure my calories depending on my BMR which is how many calories I burn on a daily basis (sleeping, breathing, talking, etc without exercise) so that if I do exercise; I burn more calories than I eat and if I don't; I'm okay.

I'm in the same situation! My body doesn't want to go under 91lbs (I'm really short and I'm young; but not too young :smile: ; preteen) but that's your healthy weight for your height. Also, today I woke up and felt and looked skinnier but my weight hasn't moved an inch. The muscle your building will outweigh the fat that the muscle is burning. Your scale is accurate about very little, honestly. You can be a body-building health freak but the scale might say your obese because that muscle is much heavier than fat. The only thing that the scale is right about, is what your body weighs, not how much your losing if you're exercising. If your 50000lbs, it'll show that it's losing weight because first, your body will burn the fat and secondly, build muscle. So your body will lose the acess fat and gain new muscle, which burns MORE fat and gains MORE muscle. So it's like an exchange. You will see it soon when you get to the stand-still because that's when it's doing the trade and burning the fat to make you look thinner and getting the muscle. That's why your at a stand still. Because your actually losing the bad and gaining the good. It isn't changing because the muscle is being replaced which keeps the scale from moving downward. The scale nor what the scale says, isn't always right because if you're exercising AND eating right then you're almost always going to come to a stand still. So don't let the scale bother you. Give it up to a week, then look at YOURSELF (not the scale) and you'll see what you're body was doing. If you don't see anything, move it up a knotch, increase the exercise , and decrease the food intake.

Also, try stopping when the plate is almost clean, put the fork down on the last few bites just to get in the habit of not eating "that last bite" and telling yourself who's boss :flowerforyou:

Hope this helps! Keep up the good work because as long as you're working for it, it's going to pay off so don't be discouraged, keep going :flowerforyou:
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating?
    Are you excercising?

Wow, you had a lot of questions for me to think about! :laugh: I eat 3 times a day. I may have 1 -3 low cal snacks throughout the day! I exercise twice a day 30 min in morning and 30 min in the evening! Sometimes I eat the exercise calories (depending on what mood I'm in) but, I try not to as often. I eat a lot of smartones meals, whole wheat bread, light packed veggies and fruit, 100 cal snacks, portion control normal meals, drinks lots and lots and lots of water! I try to stay away from salty, greasy and heavy foods.

I think my "flow" will be arriving soon :blushing: LOL! But, I never seem to gain weight (unless I do and just don't notice it)!

Thank you so much for all of your help!! This really gives me a lot to think about!!:smooched:

Also keep in mind that processed food (frozen meals like SmartOnes, Lean Cruisine, etc.) are HIGH in sodium, which may cause you to retain water. You can actually check your overall sodium intake in your food diary by changing your settings. Otherwise, the food you listed seems good!

Maybe suprise your body and change your exercise routine - once you start a routine, your body will adapt and become more efficient (meaning burning less calories) - so you need to pull a fast one and shake things up once in a while! :laugh:
  • atodaro
    atodaro Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Instead of three meals and then healthy snacks you might try eating five or six meals a day, each including a lean protein. Are you drinking eight glasses of water and /or green tea every day? Are you eating enough? Have you calculated your calorie needs and then determined a proper deficit? If you are not getting enough calories your body will go into starvation mode. Every time I hit a plateau I start counting my intake and realize I have dropped below 1200 calories consumed.
  • SkinnyMama
    SkinnyMama Posts: 146
    Options
    Drink water....lots of water! I was stuck for about 3 weeks(eating healthy and exercising the whole time) and then I talked to a dietitian and she told me that your body can not break down and get rid of stored fat without water. I am now drinking....
    8-8oz glasses per day
    1-8 oz glass for every 8 oz of caffinated beverage I have
    1-8 oz glass for every hour in the sun
    1-8 oz glass for every hour of exercise
    1 -8 oz glass for every 25lbs I want to lose
    Total= 14-16 glasses of water a day
    It is a ton, and I have to pee all the time, but it is seriously working!!
    Good Luck:happy:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating?
    Are you excercising?

Also keep in mind that processed food (frozen meals like SmartOnes, Lean Cruisine, etc.) are HIGH in sodium, which may cause you to retain water. You can actually check your overall sodium intake in your food diary by changing your settings. Otherwise, the food you listed seems good!

Maybe suprise your body and change your exercise routine - once you start a routine, your body will adapt and become more efficient (meaning burning less calories) - so you need to pull a fast one and shake things up once in a while! :laugh:

Second this emotion! increase your fresh fruits and veggies and skip the processed foods! remember - shop the perimeter of the grocery store for the majority of your foods!!
  • divalovesyou1
    Options
    I know this is like super late!! But thank you all for your input and support!!:smooched:
  • SkinnyMama
    SkinnyMama Posts: 146
    Options
    How did this last week go? Did any of these tips help you break the stand still?