Inspirational people at the gym

Options
marber
marber Posts: 118 Member
There are topics on here about the funny people we see at the gym and I thought we could do with some inspiration as well.

I am in the UK and go to a community gym where family doctors can refer you and there is a cardiac care croup and a local brain injury rehab unit. So quite a mix of people.

First person who has become a friend ended up in a wheelchair after having a stroke. She now goes to the gym and does circuit training 2 or 3 days a week. Not only is she walking and living her life nearly normally she has halved her body weight.

A man who is nearly 80 he goes to the gym 5 days a week, he is part of the cardiac care group. When he became very ill last year and was found by his son and rushed into hospital he very nearly died. His organs were shutting down he ended up with MRSA followed by C-Dif. The doctors put his survival down to his fitness.

The man from the head injuries unit who before Christmas had to be helped out of his chair onto equipment. He can now walk half way across the gym.

I never thought I would love going to the gym but I do and there are now 3 generations of my family going to the same gym.

Having read some threads here about what people do not like about there gyms I think a lot would not want to go to our gym.

We sit on machines between sets because for some it is quite an effort to swap machines.

Everyone says hello, someone will always chat with you and ask how you are doing and if you don't go for a few days it is noticed and the next time you go in they will ask if you are ok.

Replies

• jessimacar
    jessimacar Posts: 291
    Options
    That's amazing. You're lucky to know such strong and determined people. I would love to attend your gym, it seems like an incredible place to be.
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    That is what a gym should be about. I love my gym, there are people of all ages and all fitness levels. I never felt uncomfortable. I also like seeing the skinnier people there, it reminds me that even when I hit my goal I will not be dumping the gym. I like seeing the elderly couples walking the track, the high school guys doing sprints, the moms like me haulin' their kids to child care to get rid of that super-sticky baby weight . . .
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    at my gym theres a mother and son duo that always workout, they workout with the trainers also. both are still fairly overweight and the son is blind! theyre always there though, nothing stops them. its good to see that :)
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    Thanks for posting. .that is so inspirational. There is a little guy at the gym where I go and he has a really bad crippled foot, but no matter what he's always there working out. . .even walking on the treadmill. Maybe slower than everyone else but determined. Everytime I am trudging along thinking how I would rather be somewhere else doing anything else but working out (ok, so I'm NOT one of people who love it, I'll admit. lol) I look over and see him and instantly feel inspired and motivated to keep on.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I love going to the gym during my lunch hour because there is such a mix of people. I think one of the most inspirational is a lady that I see about three times a week. She's 82 and does the stationary bike and some light strength training regularly. She definitely inspires me to keep getting healthier so that I can enjoy all the years ahead.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm really motivated by a lady named Debbie at my gym. She's about my height, but she's super fit and toned. She's not intimidated by working out with the guys either and is always trying new things! I love Debbie because if you need ideas or just want someone to show you how to use a machine, she's always willing to help you out!

If Debbie can workout and get a body like that, I feel like I can do it too!

Shannon