exercise with kids, how do you do it?

Options
I am a stay at home mom with a toddler and a preschooler. I would love a membership to a gym or the Y, but we just don't have the money. My daughter has school from 8-2, so that is usually when I fit in my work out. I love taking my son for walks, but he walks so slow that it can't be considered exercise. So I put my son in the jogging stroller and go at least 4 days a week whether it is around the neighborhood or at the park. And I try to take the kids hiking at least once a week. The problem is that my 2 year old son is getting more and more difficult about riding in the stroller. Today I let him walk for a bit and did lunges to up the difficulty of the walk, then I put him in the stroller to walk for a half hour. On rainy days I just use my Wii Fit while he is napping. How do you find time to exercise with kids? And what do you do?

Replies

• Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    I have a 3 year old and the best way I have found to get my exercise in is to do it before she gets up in the mornings. Not always possible but I try to make it happen. My mom lives right next to me so I sometimes, very rarely, let her babysit while I go to the gym but since that doesn't happen very often I feel like I am wasting my money on the gym membership so as soon as my contract is up I'm not re-joining. I have an exercise bike at home so I usually workout on it or do the Leslie Sansone Walk-at-Home dvds. I also do what you said, when the weather is warm enough, walk outside with the stroller.
  • lemanda
    lemanda Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have workout videos I do in my basement. (we still have a TON of snow up here in northern Canada) I get up on busy days around 6 and non-busy days at 7 to workout and sometimes the kids wake up (4 and 20 months) and other times they stay asleep. If they are awake, I let them watch t.v. and they are good to go while I work out. It works well for me, and the kids usually dont bother me too much. You just have to find a system that works for you and keeps everyone happy. Good luck!
  • teracallaway1
    teracallaway1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    if i am playing on the floor with my 18 month old son i use him as my weight and go chest presses and such, my son loves squats or sometimes if i am desperate i do jillian michaels 30 day shred dvd its 20 mins long so he will play by myself for that long. the dvd is like 10 dollars at walmart. while he plays at the park i do push ups or lunges anything i can think of while i watch him. or we play tag. hope it helps. message me if you want more ideas and i'll do my best.
  • jdier
    jdier Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i have two toddlers so I completely understand! By the time their naps roll around, I'm tired already. When I workout out during their naps I had a tendency to skip workouts more. I started getting up in the morning with my husband at 6:45. I eat something and start drinking water then start my workout about 10 minutes later. If my eldest son wakes up I put him in his room with a video or toys with a gate up or the door shut. You have to make time for yourself! I make sure the boys have a pop-tart or something (on busy mornings, they eat in their room sometimes). I aim to workout Mon-Fri. and switch it up. I ran 30 min. today and did 15 min. circuit training. It's important that Mommy takes care of herself so that she is better able to take care of her kids! You can friend me if you would like! It's taken me a long time to figure out a schedule that works for me and the kids but it's worth seeing the weight come off and feeling healthier!:smile:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:30 (before work) sometimes to run on the treadmill. Otherwise, I have to do it sometimes after 8:00 p.m. when he goes to bed.

I just have to make myself get it done sometimes.

I know it's tough fitting it in, but you can do it! If you get a good burn and sweat going, you will actually have more energy!
  • SaraEWrig
    SaraEWrig Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'd make it happen before they get up in the mornings. Kids are unpredictable, and I like to have my workout SCHEDULED - so I'd just wake up 45 minutes earlier, get a workout in and then you are energized for the morning! It's DONE!
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible time getting anything done if I am home with the kids. I just bought a weighted hula hoop and have been trying to use it a little bit - it will be easier when the kids can go outside.

If your little one is big enough, maybe try having him ride a Big Wheel or something while you do your walk. I know it isn't quite as nice as having him in the stroller but maybe he would be more interested.
  • RyLaneB
    RyLaneB Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I try to get my treadmill time in while my 3 year old is either napping or watching cartoons upstairs, but she LOVES The 30 Day Shred so she usually does that right along with me. Last week I came home from work to a sweaty Daddy...she had turned it on and made cute faces so he did it with her! Letting her spread her little blanket out beside my yoga mat gets lets me get it i n with out to much trouble, and it is nice to have a little work out partner! (Although she is tougher on me then Jillian I swear!)
  • RyLaneB
    RyLaneB Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I try to get my treadmill time in while my 3 year old is either napping or watching cartoons upstairs, but she LOVES The 30 Day Shred so she usually does that right along with me. Last week I came home from work to a sweaty Daddy...she had turned it on and made cute faces so he did it with her! Letting her spread her little blanket out beside my yoga mat gets lets me get it i n with out to much trouble, and it is nice to have a little work out partner! (Although she is tougher on me then Jillian I swear!)
  • Chantelle160
    Options
    I have a 5 Year old. Gym memberships are pricey and takes away from time that I get to spend with my son as I work all day. Best time to work out is after he goes to bed. I do an hour every night, treadmill and or workout videos. Turbo Jam is awesome. Also do yoga at home. Wednesday nights we go swimming, so that my son gets to have some fun and exercise to. You will eventually find something that works good for you.
  • Shelleybean78
    Shelleybean78 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm just now starting (again) but I have 4 kids 6,4 and two 1 year olds! So working out can be a challenge! I have zumba and my boys LOVE to do it with me, however that's not always good for me because them at my feet slows me down :( So if I try to work out at nap time, Also, I'm buying a work out ball today, a friend recently lost 100 lbs using it while watching TV and that was the ONLY exercise she did! She said it comes with the book of exercises and once she learned them it was easy to watch TV! My husband was also recently told by a guy who lost a TON of weight with P90x that he worked out at night, Since our metabolism slows while we sleep it puts our bodies in a state of storing.. So if you get your work out at night, it keeps your blood pumping even while your sleeping and burns more calories! So.. Tonight is going to be night one and I'm going to see if works! Maybe that will help you too! :)
  • Becca619
    Becca619 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 year old son and a 5 month old daughter. I exercise while my son is napping, my daughter is usually in a happy mood then from having a full tummy or is napping as well. http://www.momsintofitness.com/dvds/lindsay-brin-postnatal-boot-camp that is the workout DVD I have been doing, post natal bootcamp. And you don't have to have recently had a baby to do the video. There are 3 women, one does beginner moves, another intermediate and the main lady does the advanced moves. You can pick and choose what parts you want to do or they have a 12 week pre made program, which is what I am following. There around ten 10 minute intervals and around ten 3 minute core exercises to choose from if you pick and choose. I am hoping to get outside and start walking with the kids once the weather warms up again.
  • Becca619
    Becca619 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I have also do the Walk The Walk DVD before, I have the one where you do either 1 mile or 2 miles all inside, that I can do while my son is up, he sometimes tries to do it with me :)
  • vanzeem
    vanzeem Posts: 107
    Options
    I've often wondered the same thing!!(how to work out with kids..). i have a 2 and 3 year old and at times it can be very difficult. Sometimes i will turn their shows on the tv and use the portable dvd player for my workout dvd. Most of the time i get up very early to use the treadmill, although recently my 3 year old has caught on and now she gets up very early too. I think it's mostly getting yourself to the mindframe that you need to do it for you. Just like you take care of your family, you have to take care of yourself. I also sometimes put on some music and we all dance to it... that can be quiet the workout!!!!
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I'd make it happen before they get up in the mornings. Kids are unpredictable, and I like to have my workout SCHEDULED - so I'd just wake up 45 minutes earlier, get a workout in and then you are energized for the morning! It's DONE!

This is me too. I have three kids 11, 5, and almost 2. Our days are never the same and always hectic.

My stroller has a speaker I can connect my ipod to and my daughter listens to the music with me. It keeps her entertained.
  • CurriedGrasshopper
    CurriedGrasshopper Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    When I am running I put DD in my jogging stroller, she loves it so I'm lucky. If it's chilly i put a blanket on her and always have a baggy of snacks and a sippy cup of juice for her to munch on, she only gets restless if i'm not 'bringing it' and walking too much instead of running.

She's 3 now though so we'll see if she still likes it once spring comes....

For walks, I put her in my Ergo carrier on my back sometimes, especially for hikes! That way I can get a good exercise in, and can let her out to walk a bit too. It's quite a challenge having 27lbs of kid on your back hiking up hills though..

At home, which is my primary method of working out, she either dances around me (getting growled at by a straining Mom have finally 'trained' her to not touch me or get in my way) .. but a lot of the time she gets to watch a movie on the PC, I found special headphones that do not go above 40 decibles, made just for kids and I let her watch part of or an entire movie on there, it's the only time she gets that privilege so she looooooves it.
  • steffilily
    steffilily Posts: 149
    Options
    I have a 3 yr old and a 21 month old that likes to get in my way whenever I do the Leslie Sansone workouts. I found the solution to be put a gate up in my bedroom with the door open so they can see me and i can check on them while I work out in my bedroom.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    I did daycare and also fostercare and it was a real challenge to get in exercise. But I use to put on music and dance around with the kids also I played ball and tag with them.also doing bubbles with them and chasing the bubbles. If they are fairly small you can use them for a weight lifting them up over your head and down again over and over most kids love this. The walking is also really good, maybe if you bring a snack and sippy cup for your little one while he is in the stroller, or a toy that he only gets to play with in the stroller might keep him busy. Also walking to a park letting them get out and play and then walking back usually helps to keep them in the stroller. I hope this helps
  • momma_roo
    momma_roo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much to everyone for the ideas. I check out work out dvd's from the library from time to time, but my son tends to want to climb all over my or be right under me while I do it. Maybe I will try it again. I really wish I could get up before my kids but they are early risers as is. I love dancing with my kids we do that almost on a daily basis. I guess there are a lot of things I do with the kids that I have never really considered as exercise. Thanks again!
  • michellehorvath
    michellehorvath Posts: 57 Member
    Options

My girls (4 twins and 6) LOVE Jillian's 30 Day shred too!! It's great for their gross motor skills and they look so cuteholding the chicken noodle soup cans for weights!!

It is absolutely helping me now that they are old enough to do it too because when it gets to hard they go FAR AWAY so I don't make them keep going and then I get some alone time!