Marathons/5k

Options
Hey everyone.Is anyone doing a 5k or marathons this year?What kind of diet are you using? If you have or going to lets hear about them or some time goals! I'm thinking about doing a Knoxville Marathon in April.I believe if we all motivate each other we will have a good race season!

Replies

• fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first marathon in October. I don't have a special diet. I eat as usual and stay within my daily calorie goal. I shouldn't have a time goal since it's my first and my goal should just be to finish, but as a really, really slow runner, I secretly have a time goal of under 6 hours.
  • nalia08
    nalia08 Posts: 252
    Options
    How exciting! I use to live in Knoxville! I haven't done one, but have always wanted to! Good luck on your training!
  • babalee
    babalee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I ran the Knoxville Half Marathon in 2008. My husband ran the full. We loved both races. The course is nice. There didn't seem to be a flat part... but it was rolling with a big hill near the hospital. Appropriately.

I've run a lot of marathons and did my best when I paid attention to eating right. It is very difficult to lose weight when training for 26.2, so I just try not to gain!

Protein after a long run is very important. And good hydration. I've never really followed a particular diet but, I know runners who have done this and they are more successful.

Our next destination race is The Kentucky Derby Marathon and MiniMarathon in Louisville at the end of April. I ran 15 miles yesterday. I'll probably run a few more of those and also focus on some tempo runs and intervals during the week.

How's your mileage? I hope you are having fun!
  • mandyshell
    Options
    I've decided I'm going to run the Race For The Cure here in September this year. I was planning on running one this past weekend but I just was not ready yet. So I figured now I have several months to train and get prepared. No special diet, just watching calorie intake and running every other day.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I ran a 10 miler over the weekend, I have a 30K in just under 2 weeks and a full marathon May 15th. I'm sure over the summer I will run a few more 5 & 10K's and maybe another half towards fall.
    I'm not trying to lose weight, and i"m not following any particular diet, other than trying to eat balanced and eat mostly whole foods.
  • Bdmiller42
    Bdmiller42 Posts: 149
    Options
    The Knoxville marathon will be my first full marathon.I can run half marathon at 1:35 with no problems.I've been training with the longer miles to prepare for it.It is the mental part thats getting to me I believe.I don't want to over train for it. Ive been told not to practice run the full marathon a month before hand but thats all thats been going through my mind to do.I believe walking the coarse a week before hand will help a lot so I'll be familiar with the coarse.
  • babalee
    babalee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    There are many ideas about how to train for a marathon. You are much faster than I am.

I will say that my best marathon was four weeks after I ran a marathon... (Ran Tampa in February, 2005 and then ran Lower Potamac River Marathon in March, 2005. Tampa was a 4:22 and Maryland was a 4:05)

I don't recommend running 26.2 miles 4 weeks before your goal race. I think it was odd that it worked for me that year.
  • Bdmiller42
    Bdmiller42 Posts: 149
    Options
    I would be happy with 4 hours.There is soo much that can happen in 26 miles. I have a bad knee and that echoes in the back of my head and I think thats what makes me so nervous about it. 13 miles has never bothered me because with the exception of the last 7 months of last year Ive always played sports.