HELP: What to do with Veggie Ground Round??

Options
AQHAShowgirl
AQHAShowgirl Posts: 82 Member
I was feeling adventurous on my last shopping trip and picked up some Veggie Ground Round: Regular and Mexican I've never used it before and am at a loss as to what to do with it. Help. :) Will it stay together if I make burger patties out of it for the BBQ? What else do you do with it.?? Thanks

Replies

• beanie1119
    beanie1119 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have recently become part vegetarian, I say part because I eat fish still, so I am technically not really a vegetarian.

Anyhoo, I have used the meatless gorund a few times. What I have used it for so far.

Chili, just bought the McCormicks chili packet and added in veggies to make it hearty.

I have also made stuffed peppers, yummy!!!! just follow any stuffed pepper recipe for the most part

I have not tried burgers though so if you do let me know how it turns out!
  • AQHAShowgirl
    Options
    Great suggestions. Thanks. I love chili, and I'll let you know how the burgers tunr (or don't turn) out. :)
  • AQHAShowgirl
    Options
    BUMP
  • AQHAShowgirl
    Options
    Any other ideas???

Haven't tried to make the burgers yet but did throw together a Shepherd's Pie last night using it that I'll be having for dinner tonight in honor of St. Patrick's Day. Is it weird to say I'm nervous?? I'm such a fussy eater and worried that I won't like it just because I know it's not ground beef. Wish me luck. :tongue:
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    IMO, it's too crumbly for burgers.

I use it in chilis, tacos, shepard's pie, and in pasta sauces :)
  • GraysonIG
    GraysonIG Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't think it'll stick together to make a patty, if you want a veg burger then try the yves ones, same company that makes the ground round, they're pretty good. I like to chicken one.

I use the mexican ground round for taco salads, it's quite good. Basically anywhere that says ground beef in a receipe you can use ground round, my prefered flavour is the italian.

Good luck!!!
  • AQHAShowgirl
    Options
    I don't think it'll stick together to make a patty, if you want a veg burger then try the yves ones, same company that makes the ground round, they're pretty good. I like to chicken one.

I use the mexican ground round for taco salads, it's quite good. Basically anywhere that says ground beef in a receipe you can use ground round, my prefered flavour is the italian.

Good luck!!!

Thanks for the tips. I know I'll find out tonight, but do the crumbles "taste" like ground beef??
  • LizGogol
    LizGogol Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love veggie ground round!! I use it as a meat substitute in tacos, chili, spaghetti sauce, stuffed peppers, layers bean dip. I bet there are so many more ways that I haven't discovered yet.

Enjoy!
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Use it anywhere it calls for meat. If you want to do burgers you probably have to add a binder to it (like egg) to get it to stick. I love to throw it into stuff and not tell the kids until after they eat it...now they ask for it.

I also get the yves meatless chicken pieces and use those in wraps, stir fry's, on salad, etc.
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    there is a whole recipe section on the Yves website (that's the main brand here)

http://www.yvesveggie.com/recipes/default.php

:)
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    You could make a 'meat' spaghetti sauce with them. Basically anywhere you would use ground meat, you could use the meatless crumbles.
  • AQHAShowgirl
    Options
    Well last night was my first taste of the Veggie Crumbles....used them as a meat substitute in my favorite Shepherd's Pie recipe. And you know what.....I really LIKED it. Now I'm not saying I'm going to replace all the meat in my diet with veggie substitues, but I won't be scared to switch it up now and again especially when I want to shave some calories and fat from already rich recipes.

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone!!
  • steph53282
    steph53282 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Where do you buy it? In the vegetarian section or meat section?
  • tsgaddy
    tsgaddy Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Any other ideas???

Haven't tried to make the burgers yet but did throw together a Shepherd's Pie last night using it that I'll be having for dinner tonight in honor of St. Patrick's Day. Is it weird to say I'm nervous?? I'm such a fussy eater and worried that I won't like it just because I know it's not ground beef. Wish me luck. :tongue:

I was going to suggest a shepherd's pie (I posted one here a couple of weeks ago made with mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes). You can also make tacos, sloppy joes, spaghetti, meatloaf (add an egg to hold them together) or season some and add it to an omelet.
  • AQHAShowgirl
    Options
    Where do you buy it? In the vegetarian section or meat section?

At most grocery stores in my area it's actually in a case in the Produce section.
  • beanie1119
    beanie1119 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    In the produce section!