My first 5k!!! Eating advice

Options
Hi all!

i just signed up for my very first 5k ever. Definitely not looking to win, but I just want to prove to myself that I can do it. I live in a very mountainous town, so it will be quite hilly.

Anyway, it starts at 8am.... give me suggestions as to what to eat that morning!!!

Replies

• iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

i just signed up for my very first 5k ever. Definitely not looking to win, but I just want to prove to myself that I can do it. I live in a very mountainous town, so it will be quite hilly.

Anyway, it starts at 8am.... give me suggestions as to what to eat that morning!!!
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I always eat a Powerbar the morning of. Whatever you decide on, be sure to try it out and see if it sits in your stomach. Everyone one is different on that. Also be sure to consider the eating the day before, at dinner, make sure to include carbs and nothing that will upset your stomach. You will probably be nervous as well as the exercise! Good luck :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    OMGOSH Em... I am so excited for you hon!
    I would so love to do one but I don't think I'm ready physically or mentally.

I wish you the bestest of luck girl... Woo~Hoo!!!!
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Congrats Em!!! that is fantastic!!!

Eat a banana or an energy bar and about 12oz of water. No more water than that or you will be doing the pee pee run!! Oh, and don't go too high in the fiber content on the energy bar - you don't want to get those bowels moving 2 miles into the run either!!!

Good luck!! Is it this weekend?
  • sarolyna
    sarolyna Posts: 15
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't go crazy the night before on "carb loading". People think they need a ton of pasta to fuel themselves, but you don't really need to worry about that until marathon distance or so. So the night before, I'd suggest some fish and a baked potato.

As for the morning of, I usually am too nervous to have much sit well. I'd suggest a banana and yogurt; drink plenty of water too. I'd stay away from anything with too much fiber, as running and nerves can make you be heading to the porta potty. :D
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    it is actually next weekend, the 18th!

im excited. I don't plan to run the entire thing, but just to complete it..

I'm also excited to get a t shirt. Here at work we are calling it the "exercise validation t shirt'

hahah!

thank you guys so much for your input..someone told me they eat bananas and honey mixed together...sounds yum!
  • rosabella
    rosabella Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! Good for you on your first 5k! I was a cross country runner in high school (looking to get to that shape again lol) and my best advice is to try running in the morning for a few days and see what sits well on your stomach. Try eating at different times, too - for some an hour before the race is too soon, but for other people 30 minutes is fine.

Each person can have a COMPLETELY different approach to this - my absolute fav was a pb&j sandwich, but others on my team ate bananas, powerbars, pasta and pancakes. What works for one person doesn't work for everyone.

The worst was my younger brother, who swears by eating a large order of lovely greasy french fries before each race - I wouldn't try it! Bleh.
  • buckeyebabe
    buckeyebabe Posts: 235
    Options
    Hey Sparkles, I didn't know you had signed up for a 5K! Good for you!!

I would suggest eating very small the morning of. You would never believe what Runnersworld suggested...and my husband (the marathon man) actually does this....a POP TART! Yuk. Well....he eats those on 10K's not on marathon's. I agree that everyone is different and that you should try out a couple of things this week and next to see what works but I would stay away from dairy....at least for me, it never sits well in my stomach if I run soon after. I actually eat lean protein (just a little before a 5K). My favorite is a slice of wheat toast and a scrambled egg about 1 hour before the race. Most people probably wouldn't eat protein but I find that it keeps me full and doesn't lay in my stomach and make me cramp.

Speaking of cramps, watch how much water you drink...not only do you not want to go to the bathroom half way through the race but you also don't want to have al the water in your stomach pulling on your ligaments and stomach muscles as you run....BAD CRAMPING!!!

good luck and have fun!!