Should I be using up all my extra calories

Options
njksharp
njksharp Posts: 60 Member
Hello, this may seem like a stupid question but I was wondering like when I get 400 extra calories from working out added to my daily calories if I am supposed to try and get all those extra calories in. I find this hard to do some days and was wondering if I do not use all the calories if it will cause me to not lose weight

Replies

• njksharp
    Options
    Hello, this may seem like a stupid question but I was wondering like when I get 400 extra calories from working out added to my daily calories if I am supposed to try and get all those extra calories in. I find this hard to do some days and was wondering if I do not use all the calories if it will cause me to not lose weight
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    it's not a huge deal if you don't always eat all of your excercise calories. but you should try to. If you don't it is making your caloric deficit (pre-set by MFP) too large and can cause weight loss to slow or even stop. One day of not eating them isn't going to hurt you but by pre-planning meals and workouts you'll be much more successful. Example- if you plan to run 2 miles one day, add that in the morning so you'll know how many calories you get for the day. Having slightly larger meals throughout the day is much easier than trying to gobble down the extra 400 calories before bed when you log them. Good luck! And welcome to MFP :flowerforyou:
  • myfitz4life
    myfitz4life Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would cause you not to lose weight, but don't feel obligated to "eat up" all the extra calories you earned from exercising. After all, it is only an estimation of how many calories you burned. It may be less- it may be more.

As long as you are getting all of your nutritional requirements in, then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • dnilles
    dnilles Posts: 1
    Options
    Good question. I've been thinking the same thing. I have been working out an hour at least four days a week and I have actually gained weight all while staying with in the calorie limits. I am very confused.
  • njksharp
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions.....planning is definately something I can work on!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would cause you not to lose weight, but don't feel obligated to "eat up" all the extra calories you earned from exercising. After all, it is only an estimation of how many calories you burned. It may be less- it may be more.

As long as you are getting all of your nutritional requirements in, then I wouldn't worry about it.

That's the thing that many don't seem to understand--MFP already builds in a deficit for you to lose weight, so if you then exercise and don't eat those extra calories, you are increasing your deficit and often to an unhealthy level!

So, yes, you should eat your exercise calories--that is why MFP adds them back in.
  • njksharp
    Options
    I think my habit was never eating enough, so it has been an adjustment for me to eat 3 times a day and then some snacks....but have not lost weight in a couple of weeks and thought this may be why
  • rhonda79
    rhonda79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm lost and think I've been doing this whole thing wrong.:huh: can someone enplane how it works then. Like the whole calorie intake. you have to eat all your calories? whats the extra calories I'm to be taking in? I don't understand I guess.
  • njksharp
    Options
    When you exercise you earn extra calories that MFP adds into whatever your set daily calories are. For example if your daily calorie intake was set at 1500 and you went swimming for an hour you would get 300 (give or take) extra calories putting your daily calories at 1800.
  • rhonda79
    rhonda79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    oh ok. so if I exercise for and hour on the treadmill and burn 400 calories that would then make my intake from 1200 1600 right?

also does the counter thing add it in for you when you add your exercise and the food?
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    I never eat my exercise calories and I'm still losing. I actually did for the first time yesterday and I feel bad about it today :grumble:

But I'd also like to know about calories burned from non-cardio vascular exercise. Like weight lifting or I do this Shape count down to a bikini body strength training thing and I know it burns calories, I just want to know how many!
  • shorerider
    Options
    oh ok. so if I exercise for and hour on the treadmill and burn 400 calories that would then make my intake from 1200 1600 right?

also does the counter thing add it in for you when you add your exercise and the food?

Yes, and Yes---
  • shorerider
    Options
    I never eat my exercise calories and I'm still losing. I actually did for the first time yesterday and I feel bad about it today :grumble:

But I'd also like to know about calories burned from non-cardio vascular exercise. Like weight lifting or I do this Shape count down to a bikini body strength training thing and I know it burns calories, I just want to know how many!

See links to posts above--gotta eat them to make sure you're staying healthy.

Weight-lifting is listed under MFP exercise, too. But you've got to look under the cardio section but it's there.
  • njksharp
    Options
    Thanks shorerider for the links!:smile: