shred - sit ups what am I doing wrong?

Options
I cannot remember a time even as a child that I could do sit up's very well, probabbly explains why I have no abs now.

But I am on day4-5 of level one shred and I am struggling, I know i shouldn't use my neck when doing the ab work, but I don't seem to be able to not use them, it's worse if i put my hands behind my head,
trying to work out if it is just because i am so pathetic when it comes to sit ups, but it will get better or if I am doing something fundementally wrong in technique.
As for breathing in and out at the right point, I don't have time! :laugh:

Replies

• mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I don't ever put my hands behind my neck like she demonstrates. My husband reminds me all the time that it's too easy to cause unnecessary strain by doing it. So I cross my arms across my chest. Look at the ceiling too. It's hard when you are trying to follow along but stay focused on the ceiling and just listen to the instructions. Good luck!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could supplement a different ab exercise instead, if it doesn't duplicate something else. I would say to do plank while she is saying to do situps. You'll probably get just as good, or better, workout with the plank and not have to do sit-ups.

if you still want to do sit-ups, but need them to be easier, put your arms across your chest (easy) or straight out so that they pass your knees when you sit-up (easier). Doing it this way means that your abs aren't lifting nearly as much. When these get too easy, try moving your hands behind your neck again. This way will also train you to lift with your abs and not your arms.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I've always had the same problem... and I truly suck at crunches... BUT - here's what I've found helpful. When you are crunching up - lead with your chin. Push your chin into the ceiling directly above and a little in front of you. You don't want your chin to point towards your knees.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 469
    Options
    i don't know the program you're refering to, but imo crunches are just as effective as sit ups. i point my fingers towards the ceiling and make sure i don't pull with my shoulders. keep your shoulders back and concentrate on working your core to do the movement.

putting your hands behind your neck will cause you to start pulling with your hands and that will put strain on your neck and that's never good.
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I think you will get better even if you're doing them incorrectly. I know when I started I didn't do ANY of the exercises correctly but once I built up some endurance I was able to focus more on doing the moves just as they are in the video.
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    Leading with your chin os good advice.
    I will often put my hands just behind my ears so that my finger tips are just touching my head and focus on a spot on the ceiling so that you aren't pulling and using your neck at all.
  • tcarlson78
    tcarlson78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have not seen JM's program but there are countless variations of the situp all focus on different parts of the abs. See if this variation will help you. Lay on your back with knees bent and feet flat about shoulder width appart. With your arms straight place one hand on top of the other or next to the other over. from this position lift your shoulderblades off the ground into a crunch remember to look up and not build tension in your neck. This will work the top of the abs and with time you can change hand position to your shoulders.

For lower abs I would suggest sitting leg raises on a low stable surface like a coffee table. Sit so your bottom is comfortable but close enough to the edge to allow freedom of movement. Lean back a little and support yourself by holding on to the edge of the table. with your feet and knees together lift your knees up to a comfortable position and then lower them back down, try not to touch the floor with your feet. total range of motion should be about 6-12 inches. Depending on now far out you extend your feet will determine the ammount of resistance.

Hope this helps.
  • JudoJones
    JudoJones Posts: 54
    Options
    Changing the hand position as others have mentioned can make the situps easier and help target the right area. BUT if it's still too difficult, try anchoring your feet. As in sliding your toes under the couch.

To make the leg raises easier, you can place your hands under your butt or if you need even less weight, raise one leg at a time.

Good luck,
    scott