Water

Options
I know I should prob know this but what are the main reasons for drinking 8 glasses of water each day?

Thanks

Replies

• dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Getting adequate water is important for bodily functions. Why is it included on a fitness website? Here are some facts:
    1) Often people mistake thirst for hunger. Drinking a lot of water will help alleviate this.
    2) When starting a weight loss program, the first source of weight that a person loses is water. This needs to be replenished to avoid dehydration.
    3) Although water is important for inactive people, many people on this website are starting to become active for the first time, meaning that they will need more water than they are used to.
  • p1xelate
    p1xelate Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I like what dragonbug said but in addition, I have some other effects that I have noticed. I have been drinking 10-12 glasses of water a day (8 glasses is a generalization) for about a month. I feel so much better. More energetic, my skin looks and feels better and I am not as hungry (probably like she said the mistaking thirst for hunger) If I only get less than 9 glasses I notice the difference immediately! I feel lethargic and not motivated to get off the couch. It has made a huge difference for me.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Im trying to drink more, but I need on the loo all day through work (and I find it gets in the way! lol).

I will try and keep it up though.

Do you could water if you add orange cordial/squash?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Heres's a great article about water intake on the Mayo Clinic website:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

One of my co-workers (who is very health conscious) told me last week that a good way to figure out exactly how much water you should drink is to divide your weight in half to get the number of ounces you should drink per day. This makes sense to me - if water is 60% of our body weight as stated in the article, you would want to replenish most of that on a daily basis to keep everything running smoothly.