stretching the achilles tendon?

Options
hi guys
i've started running again recently (ok i've been twice since saturday) and my achilles is really sore, in an oooh i've done some work i'm not sure if i like it kind of way rather than omg get me to the doctors quick kind of pain.

i was wondering if there were any exercises you lovely people could recommend to help stretch them a bit as they feel really tight and obviously don't want to do myself a mischief

i've just started the c25k programme so i think its a shock to the system rather than anything major as on todays effort every part of my lower leg was struggling with lactic acid but thats all fine and dandy now.

thanks in advance

Replies

• baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Downward Facing Dog stretches the back of the legs (including ankles) beautifully and is what I usually do when they get tight.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    i don't think you can actually stretch achilles tendon. but you can stretch your calf muscles (soleus and gast) - spelling and abbreviated. you can do a straight leg calf stretch and a bent leg one - these should help. also downward dog (yoga) stretch really helps too!

ive had lots of achiiles issues.

you can also do friction massagfe on it - basically rubbing it quickly and hard cross fiber - so not up/down, but sideways.

i would recommend no running, ice and keep off it for a bit. also, registered massage does wonders! it has helped me a lot.

good luck!
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    thanks for the speedy replies, i will try the calf stretches as they were suffering whilst out
  • rachpiper720
    Options
    I have tendinitis in both my Achilles tendons. I make sure I have warmed up a bit by walking, then I'll find a curb or step and put my tip toes on the curb/step and slowly lower down so your heels aren't touching the ground. I do that for about 30 seconds 3 times. Also, do the same thing, but with bend knees because it stretches a different part of the calf. Here is another stretch that is similar, but with out a stair/curb

http://www.ehow.com/video_4400254_calf-achilles-tendon-stretches.html

Also, make sure you to massage the tendon gently and the calf muscle. I get a lot of cramps in my calves and it helps loosen up the tendon. Ice helps, too. Good luck!
  • bovbjerg
    bovbjerg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have had problems with my achilles as well and the sport podiatrist recommended putting my toes up against a wall and leaning in to give it a good stretch - hold it for about 30 second (on each side) and do that 3 times each day (first thing in the morning before you get out of bed stretch them out too). It took a while to feel the difference but it eventually did (although I left it hurting for about 7 months before I finally realized it wasn't going to get better on it's own). When you're at home, she also recommended to wear a bit of a heel to give it some relief (I avoided heels while it hurt because I thought it would make it worse but it definitely helped).

Hope you have a speedy recovery because it can be very paintful....especially at the end of the day.
  • tethomas73
    tethomas73 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Please be careful one of my friends just recently had surgery on his achilles. He was playing basketball for a charity event. When he heard a snap did not know what happen until he got ready to move the ball up the court..On Friday he had surgery and now he is going to have to be off for 10 weeks...