Will 5K runs make me lose muscle mass and raw strength?

Baroque_Ja
Baroque_Ja Posts: 23 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey, I've been here a little under a month now, and I think I've gotten to the point where I could pull off a fully running 5k without dying and I was thinking about doing it maybe 3-5 times a week.

I've always thought being able to pull off a perfect PFT as defined by the USMC would be pretty cool, even if it's unlikely, I'd like to see how close I can get.

100 consecutive pushups (Currently 30ish if I stick to proper form)
20 consecutive Pullups (Currently 8, hoping if I get closer to my 30 pounds lost that will make that exercise much easier)
3miles (5k) in under 18 minutes. (Currently Walk/running about 45-50 minutes)

It's just all the guys I know personally who are runners (and most that is their exclusive fitness activity) are healthy no doubt, but comparatively weak to myself especially when it comes to upper body strength, and I don't want that to happen to me as result of too much aerobic exercise. I started powerlifting a couple years ago (fell off the wagon a bit, but retained alot of of my gains), and though my cardio stinks I don't want to lose that functional raw strength.

So is 5K little enough aerobic exercise that it won't effect muscle mass, Is my weight training enough to stave it off, or am I just being paranoid?

Replies

• ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    I personally run a 5K 2-3 times a week and work with a personal trainer. I have had nothing but good results and weight loss doing this. All I can suggest is not to run 2 days in a row, you should look into cross training to allow you body some time to heal. Feel free to send me a message if you need advise or suggestions.

Good luck!
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Long bouts of endurance running and muscle building are at odds with each other. That's why marathoners are waife like compared to sprinters. I wouldn't consider a 5K excessive though, and as long as you're continuing with strength training it shouldn't be an issue.
This discussion has been closed.