I'm in need of some encouragement please.

Options
Why am I all of a sudden angry with myself? Why do I all of a sudden feel like a failure?!?

I'm green w/ envy and need a pick me up. Yesterday I ran into an old coworker at the grocery store who I had just seen like 2-3 months ago and she didn't look any different then. Well now she looks great and says she lost over 50lbs already w/ Weight Watchers. I thought I had come to terms with not comparing myself to other people when it comes to how quickly the weight is coming off, but apparently my mind is not yet at ease about it. I can't stop thinking about it.

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    bump. Will reply later.
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Dont fret my friend! I people watch all the time and beleive me, i am always envyious! i wishi was a model, but im not yet. the you can look at my weight loss and see ive only lost 7 pounds and im up and down like a yo-yo. i see ur and ur 54 pounds down! that's an achivement my dear!im so proud of you for even accompishing that goal. mine is 50-60 pounds and i have platoued at 7 pounds, its kinda frusterating!,but my advice to you is stick with me, use your anger toweards the envy and use it to power yurself through exercise and not wanting that cookie, or cake, or even... icecream (whimper... my favorite) i know im guilt, but you know i smile at my accomlishment of at least sticking to the track, i find motivation everyday though this site and that what you need, motivation and people who want to seee you succeed and understand ou when you have a fewdays to slpurge! your doing great sweetie!, add me if you wanna get encouragement from Moi!

Love,
    Loren Bearface115
  • Beachbean77
    Beachbean77 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    We are all different and will lose weight differently. Some of us can't exercise as often as others or have more will power than some. What matters is you.... stay focused on your goals and you will achieve them! And envy is a natural reaction but you need to use that as fuel next time your exercising or don't feel like pushing on. Good luck to you!
  • daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Let's pick ourself up and dust off. No beating yourself up! If we beat ourselves up, we feel defeated, throw up the white flag and give in, give up. Then guess what? We have to start all over again. You shouldn't feel like a failure - because you're not! You're reaching out - shows and takes effort and courage. Stop thinking about your friend and concentrate on yourself..... Start picturing yourself successful and sense how you're going to feel then!!!!! (And, say - "How do you like me now!") It will be good motivation to keep you climbing towards your goal. We have to start somewhere - why not here and now!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    You have already lost SO much weight and are doing a great job! My only problem with Weight Watchers is that it seems like people lose all this weight at first, then get off the program and gain it all back. So, while its great that this person lost that weight, with making yourself the driver of your own personal program, you are able to not just lose the weight, but gain knowledge on what you need to do to lose weight and keep with a healthy lifestyle! Keep up the hard work! You're an inspiration!!
  • lizzycomp
    lizzycomp Posts: 64
    Options
    Why am I all of a sudden angry with myself? Why do I all of a sudden feel like a failure?!?

I'm green w/ envy and need a pick me up. Yesterday I ran into an old coworker at the grocery store who I had just seen like 2-3 months ago and she didn't look any different then. Well now she looks great and says she lost over 50lbs already w/ Weight Watchers. I thought I had come to terms with not comparing myself to other people when it comes to how quickly the weight is coming off, but apparently my mind is not yet at ease about it. I can't stop thinking about it.

You're human! It's all about your point of view. Maybe this was a sign from the universe letting you know that losing the weight "is" possible! That should be your encouragement. You have all the tools and support to succeed as well. It you stay with this program, you too will be the envy of the people who cross your path. Anyhow, MFP is way funner than Weight Watchers!

Great job with all the weight you've lost so far!
    Keep up the good work... you inspire others.

:o)
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Diane, you know I am here for you, and I hope that you see how far you have come.....please don't get discouraged....Fae love for you♥
  • sztuczny
    sztuczny Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    yea! We gonna kick every skinny *kitten*! :) wish You best
  • dababers
    dababers Posts: 135
    Options
    ARE YOU NOT SEEING WHAT I'M SEEING??? You have lost 54 pounds already!! If I had more weight to lose, I would be envious of you!!! Trust me, there are people looking at you with envy. No one will ever admit being envious. Keep on your program. Quick weight loss always rebounds back on the body. Slow and steady wins the race. Stay focused on you, girl. You are doing the right things. The weight will come off.
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You have already lost SO much weight and are doing a great job! My only problem with Weight Watchers is that it seems like people lose all this weight at first, then get off the program and gain it all back. So, while its great that this person lost that weight, with making yourself the driver of your own personal program, you are able to not just lose the weight, but gain knowledge on what you need to do to lose weight and keep with a healthy lifestyle! Keep up the hard work! You're an inspiration!!

I agree totally with what this poster said! My experience of Weight Watchers is an overlly restrictive diet with no EFA's and the weight loss is quick but temporary. I'm here so that I can control my own diet, in my own way and lose weight at a natural pace for me. You know what they say, the slower it comes off the easier it is to keep off!

I also have to add that you don't know that she wasn't feeling exactly the same way when she saw you! Maybe 2-3 months ago she saw you losing weight and you were her inspiration to sort out something that she was unhappy with.

In the end you have to stop comparing yourself to others and carry on doing the amazing work you are doing. Do it for yourself and wish your friend luck.
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    You have been a great motivation for me! Keep rocking chica. I get the same way when people seem to do nothing and the weight falls, some of us just have to work harder... GRRR!
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Oh Diane, I'm so sorry you feel discouraged :flowerforyou:

In my personal opinion, weight watchers is one of those places that cause yo-yo diets. They don't promote a good enough lifestyle change. My mom, and one of my co-workers, have lost then gained, lost then gained, over & over again through there. You are HERE! With us! Doing it the RIGHT WAY! Don't get discouraged, almost everyone slows down this time of year. You are beautiful and have done an amazing job so far. Keep up the great work.... and I bet if you see that friend again a year down the road she'll have gained most of the weight back. :wink:

Couldnt agree more. Everyone I know just yoyos back and forth, needing WW for life ...
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options

You (and *I*) have to remember that often when people take off weight that quickly that often it's due to how horribly they were eating before... and they tend to gain it right back because they did not actually change their lifestyle for good (for some people!).

You continue to have NSV's... that's what really matters!! :smooched: :smooched: :smooched: :smooched:
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    50 lbs in 2-3 months? Whoal!!!! That sounds very very unhealthy. I have a 40lb weightloss goal and I'm predicting I'll lose it all by this summer. Thats about 6 mos for 40 lbs. Where on earth can you lose 50lbs in 3 months? Maybe if you're a celebrity with a 24/7 trainer, dietician, cook..etc.

Don't get down! I've been stuck at the same 11lbs for several weeks. Everyone is different and chooses different ways to lose the weight. At least know you're going at a slow pace and will most likely be able to keep off the weight that way. Seems she lost it incredibly fast and not only is that very unhealthy, but makes it incredibly easy to gain.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    @BM - if you look at the threads of people who have used WW in the past they can never keep it off. Many people here at MFP used WW in the past and then gained it all back because they're not counting cals and eating naturally, like we are.

What we are doing is something that is more natural, we are eating the way we always eat, and learning how to eat going down the scale. One thing I've learned for instance is what kinds of snacks I *can* eat now. Having BED/SED/EED - in the past I always ate whatever I wanted, mostly bad foods. What I have found now is that my BED is less and less since I'm more aware of it, and i have learned that eating pickles is fantastic. A month or less ago I even had a BED attack with pickles, I ate like 5 or 7 of them and since they are so low in calories, plus they're a veg it was FINE.

Not being aware of calories can hurt us in the long run, it's why many of us gain weight. Personally, I do not think the WW system is a good thing, it's better to count your cals rather than "points".

Secondly, since you have 100 lbs to lose (as do I, actually I have more), it's going to be really hard to see the weight loss on ourselves and for others to see it for a long while. The fact that you've done more than half your weight loss is really impressive!!!

Keep on keepin' on! You are on the right path!
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    @BM - if you look at the threads of people who have used WW in the past they can never keep it off. Many people here at MFP used WW in the past and then gained it all back because they're not counting cals and eating naturally, like we are.

What we are doing is something that is more natural, we are eating the way we always eat, and learning how to eat going down the scale. One thing I've learned for instance is what kinds of snacks I *can* eat now. Having BED/SED/EED - in the past I always ate whatever I wanted, mostly bad foods. What I have found now is that my BED is less and less since I'm more aware of it, and i have learned that eating pickles is fantastic. A month or less ago I even had a BED attack with pickles, I ate like 5 or 7 of them and since they are so low in calories, plus they're a veg it was FINE.

Not being aware of calories can hurt us in the long run, it's why many of us gain weight. Personally, I do not think the WW system is a good thing, it's better to count your cals rather than "points".

Secondly, since you have 100 lbs to lose (as do I, actually I have more), it's going to be really hard to see the weight loss on ourselves and for others to see it for a long while. The fact that you've done more than half your weight loss is really impressive!!!

Keep on keepin' on! You are on the right path!
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    WEIGHT WATCHERS SHOULD BE PAYING ME A DIVIDEND EVERY WEEK FOR ALL THE CASH I'VE SUNK INTO THEIR COFFERS. I'M FEELING YOUR ANGER AND DISAPPOINTMENT RIGHT NOW AS I AM ALSO EXPERIENCING SIMILAR ISSUES.

WHY THEM AND NOT ME? OTHERS LOOSE SO QUICKLY WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME? WHY IS IT THAT I DO THE RIGHT THINGS AND STILL DON'T SEE THE EXPECTED RESULTS? IF OTHERS CAN DO THIS WHY IS IT UNREALISTIC FOR ME TO EXPECT SUCCESS TOO? THE LIST IS ENDLESS.

IT TAKES TIME AND AN UNREASONABLY LARGE AMOUNT OF IT TOO FOR EACH OF US TO FIGURE OUT WHAT OUR BODIES WANT AND NEED TO GET US AND KEEP US RIGHT SIZED. ADD TO THAT THE HEAD ISSUES WE ASSOCIATE WITH FOOD AND THE CONFLICTING WEIGHT LOSS EXPERTS OUT THERE AND ITS A WONDER WE EVEN TRY.

I DON'T THINK ITS EVEN POSSIBLE NOT TO COMPARE. ITS HUMAN NATURE. BUT, THAT WOMAN'S PATH IS HERS AND YOUR PATH IS YOURS. HER WAY WON'T GET YOU WHERE YOU NEED TO BE AND ACCCORDING TO THE NIH, WE CAN BE 95% CERTAIN SHE'LL RELAPSE.

YOU ARE LEARNING WHAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU AND WHAT YOUR BODY NEEDS. SO IT MAY TAKE YOU LONGER THAN SOMEONE WHO CAN DO THIS WITH A BRANDED FORMULA. HOWEVER, WHEN YOU GET THERE YOU WILL UNDERSTAND HOW TO STAY THERE.

ITS ALL ABOUT YOU. TAKE WHAT YOU CAN LEARN FROM OTHERS AND DISCARD THE REST. COPYING HER WAY WON'T HELP YOU MANAGE FOR LIFE. DO IT FOR YOU AND YOU ALONE.

(LIKE THE GUY IN NEED OF A HEARING AID TALKS TOO LOUD, I HAVE TO TYPE TOO BIG CAUSE I CAN'T SEE. :tongue: )
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    IT TAKES TIME AND AN UNREASONABLY LARGE AMOUNT OF IT TOO FOR EACH OF US TO FIGURE OUT WHAT OUR BODIES WANT AND NEED TO GET US AND KEEP US RIGHT SIZED. ADD TO THAT THE HEAD ISSUES WE ASSOCIATE WITH FOOD AND THE CONFLICTING WEIGHT LOSS EXPERTS OUT THERE AND ITS A WONDER WE EVEN TRY.

I DON'T THINK ITS EVEN POSSIBLE NOT TO COMPARE. ITS HUMAN NATURE. BUT, THAT WOMAN'S PATH IS HERS AND YOUR PATH IS YOURS. HER WAY WON'T GET YOU WHERE YOU NEED TO BE AND ACCCORDING TO THE NIH, WE CAN BE 95% CERTAIN SHE'LL RELAPSE.

YOU ARE LEARNING WHAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU AND WHAT YOUR BODY NEEDS. SO IT MAY TAKE YOU LONGER THAN SOMEONE WHO CAN DO THIS WITH A BRANDED FORMULA. HOWEVER, WHEN YOU GET THERE YOU WILL UNDERSTAND HOW TO STAY THERE.

ITS ALL ABOUT YOU. TAKE WHAT YOU CAN LEARN FROM OTHERS AND DISCARD THE REST. COPYING HER WAY WON'T HELP YOU MANAGE FOR LIFE. DO IT FOR YOU AND YOU ALONE.

(LIKE THE GUY IN NEED OF A HEARING AID TALKS TOO LOUD, I HAVE TO TYPE TOO BIG CAUSE I CAN'T SEE. :tongue: )

I could not have said it better Diane. That is your goal to keep it off for life. Who knows if you see your friend this time next year she could be back up again. You are doing so good and looking awesome doing it slow and steady. We are all different so be happy for your friend and hope she keeps it off.

I know for me it is highly unlikely that I will ever try WW again but I still say it is a good program for some and it works for many too. It is also a program many can live with. I know many who use MFP and do WW online. Since you are doing so well with MFP, I recommend saving your money for something else.

Chin up and keep up the good work!:flowerforyou:
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I am very much uplifted by all the positive comments and support. Today is better.