Cotage Cheese, anyone?

Options
I'm not at the grocery store right now, so I can't answer my own question at this time. Thinking about having a 1/2 cup of fat free cottage cheese for lunch. I entered it into my diary and I finally realized there's quite a bit of sodium for something that's just a 1/2 cup! My question: Is there such a thing as low-sodium fat free cottage cheese?

Replies

• Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I wish. If there is, I haven't found it yet.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I believe there is. One of my MFP friends has low-sodium cottage cheese, but me personally, I can't seem to find it.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know the sodium is crazy! I thought it was a good food choice and until I logged it myself and couldn't believe it! I stopped eating it because of the high sodium. I couldn't find a low sodium version either and I love cottage cheese:(
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Yep, never seen it! That would be great but I doubt that will happen. Let's be honest, would we really like the taste of it? Probably not! :happy:

Check out the comments on this link. Seems there are some options out there but most people don't like the taste. Never would have thought of rinsing my cottage cheese first but I guess it could work a bit.
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/whole-foods-lifestyle/109573-low-sodium-cottage-cheese.html
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    At safeway/vons they sell a no salt added version that has 0mg!!! It is my new favorite thing
  • marniehodges
    Options
    The more fat free you go, the higher the sodium. 2% has less sodium and full fat has even less sodium. Depends on what you have room for in your diet, fat or sodium. Seems like any time you take something out of food (fat, sugar, etc) they replace it with something equally as bad for ya! :grumble:
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Organic food stores tend to have things like that... Whole Foods, Weaver St., Trader Joe's, etc.
    I don't know of any specific brands, though.
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    It's lucerne brand... and the taste is more like yogurt but still really good!!!

And it's 1% milkfat too!!!
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    no not that I've seen But as a side note I did find a sodium free beef and chicken broth today. I just started tracking sodium and I'm amazed at how much there is in ever thing.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    yes there is.
    Breakstone makes a 2% low sodium cottage cheese which I LOVE.
    i know there are probobly low fat low sodium ones out there as well but my grocery store doesn't care them :(
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    foodtown brand has no salt added and it is horrible.
  • sproteau
    sproteau Posts: 1
    Options
    I have a Low Fat Cottage Cheese that is 380 mg. or 16% DV for 1/2 cup. It is tasty. and 14 g of protein.90 cals. Enjoy.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Daisy makes one. it is much lower in sodium than the local supermarket brand. My friend eats mostly organic, and has found a couple of low sodium brands, but it looks like only Whole Foods carries them?
  • spunkbeer
    spunkbeer Posts: 60
    Options
    god i miss cottage cheese
    its one thing i get cravings for so hardcore sometimes

wish there was a vegan alternative for it :(