Good idea or disaster?

Options
I'd really like to go try on some new clothes! EEK! I fit into jeans yesterday that I haven't worn pretty much since I bought them, and they were loose! They were only down a size from where I started. All of my other clothes are starting to look a little frumpy. I don't see a difference though (even though others do.)

So, what has been your experience? Should I go try on some new clothes? I don't think I'll be buying anything today. I just want to see how things are fitting and looking. What I don't want to do is get to the store and be discouraged....Did you feel this way at the beginning of your journey? Was your first shopping trip a success or did it make you miserable? LOL. My hubs keeps telling me to go try some stuff on because it will help me see what I've lost. He says I look like I'm swimming in my clothes which is why I'm not noticing. haha!

Replies

• MommyRobot
    MommyRobot Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Anyone have experience shopping after a little loss? =D Please please!!
  • Pochapski
    Options
    It could help. But you have to try on flattering clothes of course =)
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I just spent $400 for a new suit that's just a bit tight to motivate me.
    I haven't altered anything on it yet and thinking about taking it back because I looked so good in an old suit I'd outgrown.

I'm going exploring my packrat closets soon to see what else can be reclaimed.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Well, I HATE shopping for clothes to start with so it's never a big motivator for me. I finally bought a new pair of jeans on Saturday night only because my others kept falling down (I went from a size 24W to a 16). Anyways, when I go shopping to try on clothes it always discourages me because I still can't find stuff that I like that fits me the way I want it to.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just telling you from my point of view.

I'm sure you are looking different though, even if you don't notice (I still can barely tell my loss).
  • catofisis
    catofisis Posts: 34
    Options
    I want to get some new jeans, and tried a few pairs in the other day...the ones in my usual size were a bit big, but the next size down too tight! So I guess I'm between sizes...gonna have to be patient for a while! I WILL fit into that smaller size as long as I carry on!
  • StefBeeney
    Options
    For starters try on the things that you already have.. they fit you once and you bought them for a reason... I can go thru my closet right now and find 4 pairs of pants that all fit nicely and are all different sizes, so just going shopping for new clothes may not result in the outcome you want (clothes manufacturs should really be more thoughtful about this)... the clothes in your closet that you have outgrown give you a good baseline... try on a bunch of them if you find a bunch that fit you, then think about going shopping....

Another option woudl be to go to an expensive store like Nordstrom's... you can ask for a personal shopper that will help you to find clothes that are flattering on you no matter what size you are. They will bring you a bunch of stuf you woudl never think to try and may or may not be in the correct size, but humor them and try things on... one of my favorite outfits was put together by them and I never would have given it a second look on the rack

Good Luck and Happy Shopping!
  • Timelessmissv
    Options
    I think that you might wanna give yourself a treat for doing so well with stiking to your goals. If you have a really good friend that is supportive of your weight loss bring her so that she can help keep you in check if something does not fit right for now so you don't beat yourself up . Other than that buy something that is not size related to reward your self .
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I went shopping for a dress yesterday and was dreading it, I ended up having to send the girlt that work there back to get me smaller sizes in everythign I tried on!
    I found a dress I loved(for my wedding shower) and when I got home my finace commented on how happy I looked :-)
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    i lost 50 lbs and i still go into stores thinking im huge... i KNOW i wear a L but when I grab a shirt in that size to try on i'm thinking "OMG that is never going to fit me !" i get so freaked out I dont even want to try them on , then I do... and it fits... and I'm in complete shock looking at myself in the new clothes lol I just dont see myself as the size i am until i put on nice form fitting clothes so until i put them on i am completely depressed thinking nothing will fit
  • tenessaa
    tenessaa Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I went shopping saturday and loved it!! I went down another size in pants and shirts. Some brands were still too tight but others fit perfectly! If something doesn't fit try a different brand!
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    All of my pants are almost falling off of me! I had a 44 pound weight loss, and still have another 40 or more to go. I found two pairs of jeans stashed away that are a smaller size. They still look a little frumpy on me, but not as much as the others. I make it a point to wear them at least once a week. I think this is good for me to do because 1) I think I became a little too comfortable in my oversized pants, leading me to believe I could eat more, and 2) It reminds me of how much further I have to go, because I remember when I bought the 'smaller size' I actually considered them 'fat jeans'. In short, it makes my goal clearer to me- I know I have to make these smaller jeans hang off me like my big jeans do! I agree that a consignment store would be a good place to look. Or maybe Old Navy when they have a sale. :flowerforyou:
  • adamtall
    adamtall Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I can say for me i really didnt notice anything until after i got some new cloths that fit correctly.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I was debating whether or not I should go shopping, after I lost enough to go 1 size smaller. And the answer (for me) was YESSSSSS!

Now, I don't like to go shopping I'm not a girly girl that gets all excited about new clothes, but there really were 2 factors that came into play.

1) BIO-FEEDBACK If I fell off the wagon for a little while the small size would give me less leeway. I'd feel it sooner and it'd give me a chance to for that info to get to my brain and allow me to adjust my behavior, before I was too out of control

2) Okay, I've never been a girly girl who fusses with fashion, hair and make-up. but I like to look put together and I was feeling down right frumpy and when I felt frumpy I acted frumpy. And I don;'t like behaving that way it's just not FUN!.
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I went to thrift stores and tried stuff on...ended up buying 3 pair of jeans 3 sizes smaller than what I'm used to. I want to go to a regular store and see how brand new fits. lol Now that I wear clothes that fit I feel so much better about myself. It works!