Anyone have a hard time drinking 8 glasses of water?

Options

Replies

• Cbeth80
    Cbeth80 Posts: 49
    Options
    i try a small amount at a time. i keep one of those small 10 oz. styrofoam coffee cups full of ice water. i drink it with a straw and i get one every time i get up from my desk. By the time i get home, i have consumed more than the 64oz without even realizing it.
  • dhiggins8
    dhiggins8 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    it is kind of hard in the begining if you have not been a big water drinker which I was not but now my eyes are use to floating and running to the restroom what seems to be every 30 minutes.
  • jclji4
    jclji4 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Your body will tell you when it wants water. Drink when thirsty.
    Absolutely not. If you're thirsty, that means you're already dehydrated.

And in case you think it doesn't matter -- water is crucial to the chemical process that burns fat and turns it into energy, so being dehydrated WILL thwart your goal of burning fat!

he is right. When your body gets thirsty, then you are already in the process of being dehydrated. If I drink a cup when I wake, a cup with each meal and a cup before and after I exercise, and a cup before bed, I have had enough and don't have to think about it....and I don't ever feel thirsty.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Your body will tell you when it wants water. Drink when thirsty.
    Absolutely not. If you're thirsty, that means you're already dehydrated.

And in case you think it doesn't matter -- water is crucial to the chemical process that burns fat and turns it into energy, so being dehydrated WILL thwart your goal of burning fat!

No it does not, thirst mean time to drink before you become dehydrated. That's what fools(not directed at you) that don't understand the body and it's most basic functions perpetuate out to the public. Do you think wild animals are watching their watches and counting ounces of water drank? No they are not. It's also not essential to fat burning as in super hydration.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    It's generally not a good idea to use thirst alone as a guide for when to drink. By the time you become thirsty, you may already be slightly dehydrated. Further, as you get older your body is less able to sense dehydration and send your brain signals of thirst.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283/NSECTIONGROUP=2
  • pyro13g
    Options
    If you have a pet put endless supply's of fresh water out. Watch them and what drives them to drink, watch when they urinate, note color(hint, hint, it will have color, hmm.. yellow comes to mind), and if you feed them an appropriate calorie load, note their leanness. Also note their muscularity and what they do the get it and keep it. Note their vast amount of sleep and lack of stress. Thirst is the body letting you know it wants the easy way to eliminating toxins, keeping blood concentration where it want's it, driving cellular functions. It's not natural to be on a hydration schedule of some set amount. If you've never been dehydrated to the point of feeling dehydration's true symptoms, thank your body and it's built in ways of keeping you from getting there. When thirst is stated it's abnormal thirst. Not when thirst first strikes and you ignore it. Obey your thirst, and keep sugar and caffeine out of the equation when thirst first knocks on your door. People disobey thirst for stupid reasons(i'll have to stop driving to pee, I'll have to get up during the movie or suzies recital, my date will think i'm weird and pee a lot, it will interrupt sex, my boss will get mad, etc..). Your body will make anti-diuretics as a first defense to helping you out when you ignore basic thirst. If you feel thirst, drink, if you have to pee, pee. Ignoring either is stress, Stress promotes fat retention. It's basic fight or flight response.
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.... I have had several docs say you should drink 1/2 your body weight in water. Pet's really? They don't have fast food or chocolate or the other toxins that we put into our bodies. Different strokes for different folks. You'll figure out what works for you.

It really is easier if you sip on it and use a straw. Pace yourself throughout the day. 8 oz. before a meal, 8 oz after or during... setting goals was easier for me to get the hang of it. I also keep a cup handy while I'm cooking and always have one close when I exercise. Using a clear glass will help too. I always do better when I can SEE it. Healthy thoughts your way.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Aside from water and tea, I just don't drink drink much else. Sometimes I have a coffee but I don't count that toward my intake because of the caffeine and diuretic quality of it. If you're drinking anything else during the day, see if it's appropriate to count it toward your water intake, and if it's not, consider whether you really need to drink it.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is good news or bad news for you,
    But I went to a nutritionist a while back and she said 1 8oz glass per every 25lbs of body weight.
    Which is a guideline that make so much more sense to me. I wouldn't think a 300lb man and a 95lb woman would have the same needs for any other dietary factor.

They are supposed to flavor a 16.9 oz bottle but I like it just fine in 24 ounces.

I too use the off brand of crystal light. I've gradually weaned myself down to about a 1/3 a packet to a 32 oz cup of water, Just enough to encourage me to drink what I need.
  • pyro13g
    Options
    Hmmm.... I have had several docs say you should drink 1/2 your body weight in water (they went to school for a while to learn that). Pet? Last time I checked they don't eat like we do or put on weight like we do. We don't offer them chocolate cake or potatoe chips. They don't have McD's or Taco bell to tempt them either. Because if they did... they'd be chubby too. Differnt strokes for different folks. You'll figure out what works for you.

It really is easier if you sip on it and use a straw. Pace yourself throughout the day. 8 oz. before a meal, 8 oz after or during... setting goals was easier for me to get the hang of it. I also keep a cup handy while I'm cooking and always have one close when I exercise. Using a clear glass will help too. I always do better when I can SEE it. Healthy thoughts your way.

Look up nutrition education for doctors, it's minimal. They get brainwashed into promoting nutrition and habits that brings them patients and keeps lot's of people employed. Great for the practice, bad for you. Watch your pet drink, it's never before eating, and usually a bit after they ate. Yes, our pets have us beat.
  • micheleinpa
    Options
    I had a hard time drinking the 8 glasses a day and also felt like I had to "force it" at first. I am now on day 12 and I have found how much water keeps me from feeling hungry. I now welcome it and no longer feel that I have to force it. Now I realize How much I had been depriving myself of the water my body needs.

5345368.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • LazyMogg
    LazyMogg Posts: 162
    Options
    I think something else that has been holding my weight loss back is that I dont drink enough water, I know that for a fact. But I find it really hard to drink 8 glasses of water. That is 64oz right? I get to the point where I just dont want to drink anymore and im forcing it down, i feel bloated and slooshy all day. How do you drink if you are not thirsty?

I know what you mean, Mrslondon. I really do try to drink more but find that drinking if I'm not in the mood makes me feel uncomfortable too. I don't like icy cold water either as it gives me indigestion. I always tend to fancy my water more in the evening but then, of course, I'd be up all night running to the loo!

I wish tea counted as I'd happily drink more of that. I'm not into squashes and cordials either.
  • Lightjulesloves2run
    Lightjulesloves2run Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I buy bottled water. I know I need to drink 4 bottles a day. It's not that much when you look at it that way. I keep a bottle with me everywhere. I drink a bottle of water first thing in the morning. Then during my workout..I drink 2 bottles and that leaves just one for the rest of the day:)
  • Lori07
    Lori07 Posts: 136
    Options
    Okay before I started MFP I would drink maybe a glass of milk or juice in the morning and then a pop at night and that would be all the liquid I would put in my body. Now I am trying to drink water because that's what everyone keeps saying is going to help but I find it very hard. I do not find myself to be a very thirsty person. I have cut out the pop and milk and juice but now I drink 1 500ml bottle of water a day and that's about all the liquid I put in my body. I will try the straw and keep trying to drink more but I am just not thirsty.
  • fitwiffy13
    fitwiffy13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I normally keep a water bottle on my desk at work (20 oz)...I make a point to drink two of them before lunch and two after which puts me at 80oz so i'm over my goal. So if you just break it up in half days it might be easier ?? That's just what works for me but good luck!!!
  • pyro13g
    Options
    Water is not going to make you lose weight.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Water is not going to make you lose weight.

Maybe not on it's own, but it certainly helps me feel full and thus I eat less.
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    HATE WATER HATE IT.

I filll a 16 oz bottle & chug it like medicine - 1/2 bottle at a time every 30 minutes or so.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Perhaps 8 glasses isn't right for you - that's a very generic amount. There's a quiz here you can go through; http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm

That said, I used to get that feeling too. I just try to force myself to drink, and it goes away.

I have two sports bottles; one that holds three cups, and one that holds two. I just focus on draining them a couple of times.

I also used to add some orange juice. Instead of drinking 200ml with breakfast, I'd split it between bottles of water, to give it some flavour and sweetness.
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/190628-water

read this it may help I find a big bottle helps make it not seem like so much