deflated tire

Options
OK, so I'm about 30 lbs lighter and while I'm happy with results to date, I've noticed that the (large) spare tire hasn't shrunk so much as deflated a bit. Will increased ab exercises tighten it back up or is there a limit to how much good they'll do? Have any you recommend?

Replies

• dababers
    dababers Posts: 135
    Options
    Ab exercises will strengthen the underlying muscles. But so far as I know, the body chooses where the fat comes off first. Keep at it and that stomach will start to disappear soon enough. Keep up the good work.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Tech, good results. Keep it up. There is no super way to lose the spare tire, just continued hardwork like you have been doing. Once your body decides it will burn the fat from that area it will. In the meantime, all you can do it strenghten the muscles in each area of your body. From what I have read you can do ab exercies daily.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about the skin that has yet to "snap back" after losing weight around the middle. I'm afraid the answer is that it may not ever tighten up completely. Really this depends a lot on how much extra skin you're talking about, your genetics, and how fast you lost the weight. The other thing to keep in mind is the younger you are, the more elastic your skin is.

If you lose the weight you want, and keep it off for a while (a year or more), it may end up that the only way to get rid of that extra skin is with surgery, many people who lose large amounts of weight fast require surgery to remove excess skin. Of course this is a worst case scenario, keep in mind it can take a year or more for the skin to recover after losing a lot of extra weight.

I'm 37 also, and I can tell you that with proper diet and exercise I have tightened up the muscles around my stomach to a large degree, but I don't think it'll ever get to where it was in my early 20s, not without some outside help.