Realistic goal..?

Options
Is it a realistic goal to try and lose 44lbs before September? I'm getting married then and would LOVE to be at my goal weight but I'm just not sure if it's reachable and don't want to set myself up for failure. Help! any tips are welcome!

Replies

• FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    If you calculate that you should only aim to lose 1 to 1.5 lbs per week, it means that from now until September 1st you could lose anywhere from 25-35 lbs... so it depends where you are today and what efforts you're looking to put into it. In my experience, people who lose weight for a goal tend to gain it all back... It's a way of life, so if your goal is to be -44 for September, I would say break it into smaller goals, your utlimate goal should be health and adopting a new lifestyle that will help continue with your weight loss/maintenance.

Congrats on the wedding by the way!
  • StefBeeney
    Options
    I hope so, because I want to lose 55 by the end of september...
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    MOST diet experts say to lose weight in a safe and sustainable way only expect to lose 1 - 2 pounds per week. I lost 13.8 pounds in 8 weeks which is 1.73.

The more you have to lose the more that will come off initially. If you eat right and exercise, you will not just drop pounds but firm up and look better. Even though I would still like to lose at least 22 more pounds, I get a ton of compliments - and I am a lot older than you! But I work out a lot so my legs are really firm and the rest of me is starting to get that way!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    it completely depends on where you are now. For someone with a lot to lose, losing that much in 6 months is totally reasonable, but for someone with only 45 or 50 to lose total, that would probably be an unreasonable goal.
  • kri5tin
    kri5tin Posts: 23
    Options
    Congrats!! I think starting now is perfect. I started about 4 months before my wedding last year and I was about to get down to my goal weight! You'll have the whole summer to exercise and if you start changing your eating habits now, it'll be second nature by your wedding! I found it harder to keep it off just before the wedding. With all the pre wedding stuff, tempting food is everywhere and time is limited. Good luck!
  • Mara54
    Mara54 Posts: 5
    Options
    One of the dangers in losing too fast is triggering gall bladder problems.
  • loriefolk
    loriefolk Posts: 352
    Options
    It really depends on where you are and what your body's ideal weight (not your ideal weight) is. If you have a lot to lose, it's probably possible but you should not lose more than 2 lbs a week. If you have a little to lose and are setting a goal too low for your body's ideal weight, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Good luck to you!
  • chelsey728
    chelsey728 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!! I really appreciate the feedback! It's so encouraging to know that it's possible with lots of hard work! I am definately going to break it down into smaller goals too. Thanks for the tips!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Last year it took me from January 4th until August 4th to lose 40 pounds (I only had about 48 pounds as a whole to lose). The first 24-30 came off fairly smoothly by the end of June with several plateaus along the way. BUT those last 10 pounds took pretty much the last 8 weeks! It sounds realistic if you set your MFP settings to lose 2 pounds a week, but it will require you to be committed to eating right and working out and not getting totally bummed when you do go through a plateau or so along the way. Try not to get stuck on "a magic number", but certainly seems like an attainable goal to aim for! Good luck to you.
  • jleegirl
    jleegirl Posts: 44
    Options
    MOST diet experts say to lose weight in a safe and sustainable way only expect to lose 1 - 2 pounds per week. I lost 13.8 pounds in 8 weeks which is 1.73.

Great job on the weight loss! Your SW and goals are very similar to mine. I was wondering how often you work out? About how many calories do you burn per day? I would love to lose around 2 lbs per week. I'm going for about an hour a day mostly cardio and toning, around 600 calories burned.
  • rdubose2006
    rdubose2006 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Last year I lost 32 pound in 4 months. And that was with swimming everyday, cardio 4x a weeks for 45mins, 3 days weight lifting 30mins. I changed my eating habits no fried foods, no processed foods or soda. If I drank juice it would be thru my juicer. Drinking at least a liter of water per day. And running around after my boys :) ( too bad I gained it all back cuz of birth control) But it is possible and the heavier you are the more you lose initially. I stayed under the care of my doctor and nutritionist and they both agreed that I was losing weight at a good pace and wasnt over doing it. Just stay focused and keep your mind on the prize :).........good luck hunny.