squash

Options
lilwashee
lilwashee Posts: 222 Member
i was thinking about making squash for a snack but i have no idea how to season it or cook it?is that a good snack i have yellow squash and green squash from the market

Replies

• kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Squash is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. I like to just drizzle it with a little olive oil, sprinkle salt and pepper on it, and cook it covered at 350 with a little water in the pan until tender (about 40 minutes). Of course that means you have to cut it in half and scoop out the seeds! That might be obvious...sorry.
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If I was to cook squash, I would cut it in 1/2, clean it out and bake it for about an hour at 350 degrees. I would then season it with some spray butter, cinnamon and a little splenda. Or you could season it with a general low salt seasoning that you like. I can't remember if these have alot of carbs or not, you may have to check. You could eat them with a little cottage cheese to add in some protein to balance out the carbs.

Enjoy.
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I slice them both fairly thin and spray a little EVOO on them then sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Then I put in a 400 degree oven and roasted them till they turn pretty brown on the edges! YUMMY!
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    my favorite way to prepare it (when its not cold outside) is on the grill, cut them up in slices, add little Pam or EVOO Garlic Salt and Red Pepper. If it's too cold outside, I'll make it the same way but bake it..
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    If the squash are small enough no scooping of seeds required. I also like to eat them raw and in salads.

Another fave of mine is to cut them in quarter inch slices and cook them a little bit of chicken stock on the stove top with sauteed onions and garlic.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    I thought this was about the drink 'squash'.....cultural difference I fear
  • forty3fab
    forty3fab Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Yellow and green squash (summer squash and zucchini) are also great when cut in half and cooked on a grill. YUM! You can also slice them and steam them in a pan with a little water.
  • lilwashee
    lilwashee Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    thank you guys i made a nice yummy low cal snack with veggies ..im so proud!!!!