Birth Control...... Sigh..... Para gard??!

Options
Ok so I used to be on Yasmin for many, many years until my doc changed me to Yaz early last year because the Yasmin was starting to give me headaches mood swings yada yada...
The Yaz gave me a dark patch on my upper lip (real nice I know) and made me so irritable (my poor husband (in both instances lol) I looked like Tom Selic and was a beast on top of it!
Anyhoo, when she took me off the Yaz and put me back on the Yasmin I was fine. Then, in an attempt to be frugal I asked for generic in Jan. At that time they had pulled Yaz, Yasmin and all generic forms off the market and I was given Zarah instead...
Oh boy- this is a nightmare.... first and foremost the dark patch is back in full effect. I am starting to notice the Jeckel/Hyde act starting back up and I got my TOM a full week before I was supposed to. Seriously- as if once a month was not PLENTY!?

That being said I need to change.... With my beloved Yasmin being out of the question (lol), I am considering Mirena. So, I started reading up on it and there are good stories and bad- BUT for over $1k to have this baby put in I am a little shaky to make the decision?? I have had all of these problems with Zarah, and before I stumbled onto Yasmin I had tried others with TERRIBLE side effects.

My question for the copper users- are their side effects with the copper iud (or whatever order the letters are in)? I will talk with my doctor, of course, but some feedback from actual users would be fantastic! I need to get rid of all the hormones- I am SICK of the side effects...

And for Mirena users- if you are experiencing terrible side effects with Mirena... have you had similar effects with other forms of bc?

Any insight is greatly appreicated! Flying around on my broom 3 weeks a month is not an option LOL

Replies

• rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    Okay, about the mirena...... I actually LOVED it, and it lasts for five years, so even though it's costly it may just be worth it. I had it taken out, because I thought it was keeping me from losing weight. Guess I didn't think those snack cakes and burgers were the culprit. lol :p But, it is very little hormones released by mirena, so it wasn't the case, just needed to work out and eat right. Anyways, my sister has the copper one and likes it, but if you read up about it, there are warnings of heavy bleeding during period and more intense pains, she did agree to that somewhat. Don't know about any facial hair though, haven't noticed any Tom Selic features in her yet. :D Hope that helped, keep in mind though I didn't actually have the copper one, only mirena. Good luck!!
  • ElizabethLinville
    Options
    nothing about side effects.
    but my friend had mirena put in. and like her third period or so when pulled her tampon out. sure enough the mirena came with it.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I'll start by saying I've had my Mirena IUD for 4 years now (last month was my anniversary lol).

I LOVE it. Mirena isn't like other birth control (pills, shots etc) because it's not systemic. The progesterone stays mostly local in your uterus. So it's much less likely to cause issues than the pill (which is progesterone AND estrogen unless it's the mini-pill). Many women can't tolerate the extra estrogen but are okay with just progesterone, and it being localized.

That said no matter which IUD you choose know that there is an adjustment period of a couple weeks to up to 6 months where you can have irregular bleeding or spotting, it can be nothing or heavy-ish and come and go. You MUST be willing to hold out 6 months to decide if it works for you, otherwise it's not worth it.

I had spotting for about 6 weeks off and on, after that my periods got shorter and lighter right away and then went to non-existant most of the time. Shorter/lighter periods are a great side effect of the Mirena, The copper version on the other hand is known for heavier and longer periods. I had heavy periods on the pill, off the pill while TTC so I did NOT want to chance that.

Check with the insurance company in both the medical side and the prescription side, my Mirena was in medical and not in prescription drug coverage because it's a device and put in at the doctor's office. Also planned parenthood sometimes does them for a much cheaper price. Upfront $1000 is a lot but that's only $200 a year if you keep it the full 5 years or $16.66 a month for the full 5 years (cheaper than most of us get any of our scripts for lol).

I was on the pill for many years and had only minor issues, but I know lots of women (personally in real life not just on the internet) that didn't tolerate the systemic pills and did well with the Mirena.
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Oh what fun! I have had similar troubles trying to find a birth control that works for me. I could tell you that the Sunday before I started I would have some sort of melt down over my bf not putting the cap on the toothpaste. I played with differen brands and landed on (insert name here, but I can't remember right now). I take two packs (6 weeks) of active pills, then off for a week. It has help quite a bit. It atleast spaces on the crazy spells.

I asked about Mirena, and with my issue, they actually didn't recommend it due to the lack of level hormones. If I actually allowed my body to do its natural thing, I may end up arrested or committed somewhere.

I'll check back and let you know what BC I am taking.

Good luck with the BC hunt.
  • UneJolieFemme
    UneJolieFemme Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    oh Mirena was a NIGHTMARE for me. Terrible mood swings, I didn't even recognize myself anymore. I was super angry all the time. I asked my doctor to remove it 5 days after it was first installed, he told me he never had to do this before but there was no way I was keeping it. My husband told me he could feel it too so that was bad. It was just BAD.
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    i did the IUD about 10 years ago dont recall the name and I just had a lot of spotting with it and though it was nice to not have to deal with a full period every month I hated the spotting.

I had my tubes tied in 2004 and after wards when I lost 140 pounds I started having less periods but when I did they were way to heavy to deal with and made me have break outs so she put me on Seasonal ( giving me 4 periods a year) and so far it has been wonderful.
    No mood swings, no serious heavy cramps during period, and only 3 day periods!!!! I do tend to be more sleepy during my TOM but it works good for me.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I've been on Mirena for two years in May. I did get some weight gain, compared to other BC types. When they placed it in, I was in MISERABLE pain for a couple hours. Most people dont have this effect though. Of course, I had to be special (to think...I drove myself...argh). The only other 'side effect' that Ive noticed is my cramping is slightly more noticeable a day or two before my period. You have to take into consideration though, I do have Endometriosis, so I dont know how that plays inside my side effect cramps being different from the normal.

I like this product because I dont have to worry about taking a pill everyone. Once every 5 years, you just have to get a new one. Im also not pregnant, so it works well in that respect as well. Many woman get reduced periods, or no periods, within a six month period, sometimes just minor spotting. Another plus. This information I got from my friends who are on it that dont have problems. My cycle has a mind of its own, so I have to have additional medications.

Overall, I am very happy with it. I did an extreme amount of research (so did my Mom) because having it placed and we both felt it was the best BC choice (I get sick from oral BC). My PMS is pretty much non-existent for the most part as well.

Im glad youre no longer on Yaz/Yasmin...That stuff almost killed my big sister...Twice. She is on of the people who got severe clotting to the point of near death and currently is in the lawsuit pending against the drug maker. She has been in and out of hospitals and all sorts of problems sense, to the point MAYO doesnt even really know what to do for her.
  • MLG010105
    MLG010105 Posts: 29
    Options
    I react *horribly* to hormonal birth control. Really, really badly. So I can't imagine paying $1,000 to have a semi-permanent hormonal device put in my body.

I got the Paragard a year and a half ago, and I love it. The only side effect that I've had is that I spot for a day or two before my full-on TOM begins. But even with that, I only have a total of five days of flow.

With Mirena or Paragard, make sure the doctor properly trims your strings. Otherwise, your husband will be able to feel them during intercourse.

Hope you get a solution that works for you. Good luck!
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I've had my Mirena for 2 years now and I LOVE it! I had medium to heavy bleeding for about 6 weeks straight, but ever since then, my TOM lasts about 12 hours with just some light spotting.

I'd been on Ortho-Tri for several years, but found out I have a blood-clotting disorder, so I can't have any BC that has both kinds of hormones in it.

I have a friend (like, I personally know her, just not on the internet) that got pregnant when her Paragard (sp?) slipped... I don't know the "oops" rate with the Mirena.

edited for spelling
  • jaydensmommy2010
    jaydensmommy2010 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I just had Mirena removed a week ago. I had a lot of problems with it. Sorry this is a little TMI but chronic infections, twice a month with it. I also had a lot of hair loss. I only had mine in for about 6 months. The problems didn't start til I had it about 2 months. The only good thing about it was after 2 months, I never got a period! I know every person is different so I wish you the best of luck!
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I have a Mirena and love it. Zero side effects whatsoever for me.

Why so expensive for you to get it? My insurance covered most of it, it was like $200 to insert it and that was it.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I have the Mirena, it has been almost 5 years and I would recommend it, for the most part. I thought the insertion was incredibly painful but I have not had children. I was crazy for a little while, but it's hard to say it was the Mirena because I was using Depo before that and Depo is a lot more hormones so it might have been an adjustment period, but I was definitely off for 6 months-irritable, pms-like. My periods are light, some months just some spotting.
    Some people say their partner can feel the string-but it does soften if you give it a little time.
    My friend had the copper iud and swapped it for the mirena after a year or two, her cramps and periods were bad and she has liked the Mirena a lot better.
    also, I had ovarian cysts rupture after Mirena, and I had never had a problem with ovarian cysts so I think there was a relationship there even if my ob/gyn doesn't think so.
    Mine expires in September and I have to decide if I want to replace it or switch to something less permanent until I decide whether or not to have kids and I cannot imagine going back to any other form of birth control-really, they all sound horrible compared to Mirena.
  • amysj303
    Options
    oh, and my insurance covered it too, I would call them to make sure if you haven't. The Mirena is cheaper to them than a baby so they paid for it, even before my deductible was met.
  • HalfofHilary
    Options
    I have Mirena. I love it! It maybe be pricey (my insurance covered it though). But it is a LOT cheaper than the alternative!!! Kids are expensive! :)
    The only side effect I have had was.. I don't get my TOM. I spotted very lightly for 2 days or so after it was put in, and after that nothing.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Okay, about the mirena...... I actually LOVED it, and it lasts for five years, so even though it's costly it may just be worth it. I had it taken out, because I thought it was keeping me from losing weight. Guess I didn't think those snack cakes and burgers were the culprit. lol :p But, it is very little hormones released by mirena, so it wasn't the case, just needed to work out and eat right. Anyways, my sister has the copper one and likes it, but if you read up about it, there are warnings of heavy bleeding during period and more intense pains, she did agree to that somewhat. Don't know about any facial hair though, haven't noticed any Tom Selic features in her yet. :D Hope that helped, keep in mind though I didn't actually have the copper one, only mirena. Good luck!!

No facial hair- just darkening of the skin lol looks like Tom from a distance! :)
  • doobabe
    Options
    I've been on Mirena for two years in May. I did get some weight gain, compared to other BC types. When they placed it in, I was in MISERABLE pain for a couple hours. Most people dont have this effect though. Of course, I had to be special (to think...I drove myself...argh). The only other 'side effect' that Ive noticed is my cramping is slightly more noticeable a day or two before my period. You have to take into consideration though, I do have Endometriosis, so I dont know how that plays inside my side effect cramps being different from the normal.

I like this product because I dont have to worry about taking a pill everyone. Once every 5 years, you just have to get a new one. Im also not pregnant, so it works well in that respect as well. Many woman get reduced periods, or no periods, within a six month period, sometimes just minor spotting. Another plus. This information I got from my friends who are on it that dont have problems. My cycle has a mind of its own, so I have to have additional medications.

Overall, I am very happy with it. I did an extreme amount of research (so did my Mom) because having it placed and we both felt it was the best BC choice (I get sick from oral BC). My PMS is pretty much non-existent for the most part as well.

Im glad youre no longer on Yaz/Yasmin...That stuff almost killed my big sister...Twice. She is on of the people who got severe clotting to the point of near death and currently is in the lawsuit pending against the drug maker. She has been in and out of hospitals and all sorts of problems sense, to the point MAYO doesnt even really know what to do for her.

OOH Dislike! Your poor sister- my prayers are with her for recovery. This is the reason I wanted to leave the pills behind all together!
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've had the Mirena for about 6 months. So far I love it. I had spotting for about the first 6 weeks, then basically normal TOM for a couple months and now my periods are almost totally gone. The only side effect I've noticed is that my skin isn't as nice as it was with regular bc pill or nuva ring - no surprise there, and similar to when I was on the mini-pill.

I actually really liked the nuva-ring....I had to switch because I had an increase in migraines and I guess that is a contraindication. Otherwise I would probably still be using it.
  • doobabe
    Options

Why so expensive for you to get it? My insurance covered most of it, it was like $200 to insert it and that was it.

I am not sure on the cost I was just going with an average based on what I have been told. I have a $4500 ded on the health insurance so I am thinking I will be on my own (as always).... ugh. But either way, if it does work out it is still a lot cheaper than the $225 every 3 months for the pills..... yikes
  • amysj303
    Options

I am not sure on the cost I was just going with an average based on what I have been told. I have a $4500 ded on the health insurance so I am thinking I will be on my own (as always).... ugh. But either way, if it does work out it is still a lot cheaper than the $225 every 3 months for the pills..... yikes
    Definitely call them. I had a high deductible and it was completely covered!
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I used to use the non-hormonal form of the IUD and was very happy with it. In fact, I wish I could still use it. The Ortho Low Dose is another good one if you can use that type of BC. I cannot so either way, I'm envious of you!