Favorite Tilapia recipes??

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
What is your favorite way to cook Tilapia?? I want to try the Tilapia loins they sell at Trader Joes but haven't cooked with it much and was wondering how you like to serve it.

Thanks!
-Tam

Replies

• TamTastic
    Options
    What is your favorite way to cook Tilapia?? I want to try the Tilapia loins they sell at Trader Joes but haven't cooked with it much and was wondering how you like to serve it.

Thanks!
    -Tam
  • Juliebean
    Juliebean Posts: 317
    Options
    I'm pretty simple when it comes to cooking Tilapia, Orange Roughy, etc.

Spray a glass pan with Spray Butter (I use 'I cant believe it's not butter -- no cals!)
    Place Tilapia in the pan, sprinkle with Season Salt
    Bake

It sounds pretty boring but it's delicious!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Tilapia! I was thinking of having this tonight for dinner!!! Then again, when am I not?

I cook it very simple. I spray Pam cooking spray in the bottom of a pan, put it on the BBQ or inside on the stove. I cook it until the white cooked part starts showing up the side, and then I flip it over. I serve it with a big salad, bread dippers, strawberries, and red wine for hubby and myself. This is one of my favorite patio picnic items! YUM!

I hear others adding butter, oils, bread, eggs to the mix of this fish. But is so good and light, I just decided after all the mess of trying to add stuff, I'd try it plain. My 10 year old, 5 year old, hubby and I all agree plain is the best!

I would love to hear how you do end up dressing it up, and what you think! It is so good!
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Yummm...HUGE Tilapia fan here! Here's a few ways:

--Spray a little butter in a pan, lay in filets, sprinkle with some salt, pepper, and garlic powder, then spread on a spoon of reduced fat mayo, and top with some reduced fat parmesan cheese. Bake for about 15 minutes in the over (around 350-400).

--On the grill: cover a pan with foil, spray with pam or butter, lay filets, drip some lemon juice on top and stop with lemon pepper. Then cover with more foil, and throw on grill until it begins to flake.

--Spray a little butter in a pan, lay in filets, top with some chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bake for about 15 minutes at 350-400.

Those are just a few I like!
  • Rachael2179
    Rachael2179 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I saw on the back of an orange roughy package a recipe that is soooooo good. I am sure it would be great on any type of baked fish... The recipe tells you to pan fry but it is good baked too..

Soak fish in skim or fat free milk for 10 minutes (not sure why it tells you to do this.)
    I basically just season the fish with seasoned salt or salt and pepper or whatever I am feeling like...Bake fish as usual
    In a sauce pan heat up butter (I use can't believe it's not butter), minced garlic or garlic powder, some orange juice, some lemon juice and parsley flakes...

I am not sure how much of each.... I have made it quite a few times and just kind of eye things to what looks good... Just before serving spoon it over the fish and Mmmmmmm.
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Being in Louisiana, I use a blackening seasoning them. I sprinkle the seasoning on it. put them in a red hot skillet that I've sprayed with Pam and they get done really quick that way!! Love it!!
  • mello
    Options
    I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Tilapia! I was thinking of having this tonight for dinner!!! Then again, when am I not?

I cook it very simple. I spray Pam cooking spray in the bottom of a pan, put it on the BBQ or inside on the stove. I cook it until the white cooked part starts showing up the side, and then I flip it over. I serve it with a big salad, bread dippers, strawberries, and red wine for hubby and myself. This is one of my favorite patio picnic items! YUM!

I hear others adding butter, oils, bread, eggs to the mix of this fish. But is so good and light, I just decided after all the mess of trying to add stuff, I'd try it plain. My 10 year old, 5 year old, hubby and I all agree plain is the best!

I would love to hear how you do end up dressing it up, and what you think! It is so good!

Princess,
    I've seen you make reference to bread dippers a few times, I LOOOOOOOOVE me some bread dipped in EVOO at Johnny Carino's but somehow I'm thinking your not talking about the same thing.
  • natalie424
    natalie424 Posts: 320
    Options
    Tilapia is such a great fish... very mild!

I like to lightly sprinkle a little season salt and Cavendar's Greek seasoning on both sides of the fish. I cook it in a pan with a little olive oil spray.

I am definitely going to try some of the other ideas above. Thanks for starting this post.
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options

Princess,
    I've seen you make reference to bread dippers a few times, I LOOOOOOOOVE me some bread dipped in EVOO at Johnny Carino's but somehow I'm thinking your not talking about the same thing.

It sounds just like what I have! I measure, weigh and keep track of mine, and give each family member their own weighed bread and they share their dips. YUM!

This is the spices I use, I pick up ECCE bread (2 oz) from Publix or Target, and use Extra Virgin Olive Oil (1 tablespoon), and one teaspoon spices.

X48625.jpg
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options

In a sauce pan heat up butter (I use can't believe it's not butter), minced garlic or garlic powder, some orange juice, some lemon juice and parsley flakes...

It isn't. :tongue:
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    I will have to try something new on our fish soon. Thanks for the ideas!
  • mello
    Options

Princess,

It sounds just like what I have! I measure, weigh and keep track of mine, and give each family member their own weighed bread and they share their dips. YUM!

This is the spices I use, I pick up ECCE bread (2 oz) from Publix or Target, and use Extra Virgin Olive Oil (1 tablespoon), and one teaspoon spices.

X48625.jpg

Thanks!!!!! I'm learning that I can eat anything I want to as long as I plan my day to make allowances in the way of eating lighter during the day to splurge at night occasionaly. Oh and excercise so I can eat those calories!!!!!!!:laugh:
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options

Princess,

X48625.jpg

Thanks!!!!! I'm learning that I can eat anything I want to as long as I plan my day to make allowances in the way of eating lighter during the day to splurge at night occasionaly. Oh and excercise so I can eat those calories!!!!!!!:laugh:

I believe olive oil is one of those "good fats"??? Am I wrong? I also make sure I weigh and track everything. I am a STICKLER to weighing and measuring. I have an awesome Weight Watchers $5 1994 scale. I leave it on the counter. I like to "guess" a weight of something according to servings, and then weigh it to see how close I got. Dippers for me is definitely an extra planned for addition to dinner.
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am going to try some this weekend I think! Yum! I hear those frozen tilapia loins at Trader Joes are great and you just take them out of your freezer when you want one! My father-in-law (who is VERY particular about food) even loves them!
  • TamTastic
    Options
    This sounds delish! Nice for the summer! It's listed as having 223 calories and 5.3 g fat which could be even less if baked instead of pan fried.

Spicy Tilapia With Pineapple-Pepper Relish

Use fresh pineapple chunks with this dish, serve with coconut rice (use light coconut milk for some water to cook) & add toasted coconut flakes; & a salad of baby greens with tossed lime dressing to round out your menu.
    SERVES 4 (change servings and units)

Ingredients
    2 teaspoons canola oil
    1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    4 (6 ounce) tilapia fillets
    1 1/2 cups chopped fresh pineapple chunks
    1/3 cup chopped onion
    1/3 cup chopped plum tomato
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
    1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
    4 lime wedges

Directions
    1Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
    2Combine Cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
    3Sprinkle fish evenly with spice mixture.
    4Add fish to pan, and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness.
    5Combine pineapple, onions, tomatoes, rice vinegar, chopped cilantro & chopped jalapeno in a large bowl, stirring gently.
    6Serve pineapple mixture with fish.
    7Garnish with lime wedges.
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I spray the tilipia with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter then COVER it in Cajun Blackening Seasoning...OMG~~it's SO delish!!!!!
  • TamTastic
    Options
    YUM!!!!

Tilapia Cakes

SERVES 4

Ingredients
    16 ounces tilapia fillets
    1/2 cup whole wheat crackers, crushed
    4 egg whites
    1 teaspoon garlic salt
    1 1/2 tablespoons parsley
    1 cup spinach, shredded
    salt and pepper
    Directions
    1Preheat oven to 375.
    2Shred tilipia into small chunks.
    3In a large bowl combine all ingredients thoroughly.
    4Form mixture into four patties or 'cakes'and place on greased tin foil. Place the foil with cakes on them in oven for 10 minutes.
    5Turn broiler on after the ten minutes
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    YUM!!!!

Tilapia Cakes

SERVES 4

Ingredients
    16 ounces tilapia fillets
    1/2 cup whole wheat crackers, crushed
    4 egg whites
    1 teaspoon garlic salt
    1 1/2 tablespoons parsley
    1 cup spinach, shredded
    salt and pepper
    Directions
    1Preheat oven to 375.
    2Shred tilipia into small chunks.
    3In a large bowl combine all ingredients thoroughly.
    4Form mixture into four patties or 'cakes'and place on greased tin foil. Place the foil with cakes on them in oven for 10 minutes.
    5Turn broiler on after the ten minutes

Oh yum... Tilapia cakes!!!!
  • mello
    Options
    I've always read that Olive Oil is a very healthy fat, gonna plan next week for some dippers!!!!!!!!