inexpensive protein shake????

Options
So I'm asking this on behalf of my best friend who doesn't have the access at the moment. He's working out every night late and burning quite a few calories that he is having a hard to replenishing. It's been suggested that he look into a protein shake before he works out.

The problem is he is strapped for cash.

Does anyone know of a good protein shake that is not going to break the bank??? he has a special situation he does school and takes care of his sick grandmother and has barely enough cash for gas let alone any luxuries like this. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

thank you!

Replies

• Candiceg13
    Candiceg13 Posts: 218
    Options
    I would say GNC 100% Whey, but only when its on sale..... I use that post wo, a tub lasts about a month (5 shakes per week) and sets me back about $25....

I dont know many other options, primarily because I am scared to try them......
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I won't name names (simply because I haven't tried enough of them to give a good recommendation), but if you go on ebay, you can often find most major brands for about $30 for a big 5lb container. That's about the best price I've seen around.

Well, ok I'll name one name. I got EAS 100% Whey last time (for about $30/5lb on ebay), which I am coming to the end of. No complaints about it, but I will probably be trying some other brand next.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Walmart carries Body Fortress and it was about half the price I was paying for the 100% from GNC
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Walmart carries Body Fortress and it was about half the price I was paying for the 100% from GNC

This is what I buy. 2lb container cost me like $14 I think.
  • Amb1976
    Amb1976 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    the only two ive tried has been shakeology (beachbody) or bolthouse farms protein plus (found at meijer by naked's) the beachbody shake is expensive...about 135 p/mo....the bolthouse farms @ meijer i bought a bottle (4 servings per bottle) for about 5.00
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    try googling it & doing your research, i'm sure there are sites with it cheaper than others or on sale & you'll also want to know what a decent brand is so you are getting the most for the $ :o)
  • girlofsun26
    girlofsun26 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My hubby also uses the one from walmart and is pleased with it..:)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Another thing probably worth mentioning. If he is looking for something to take post-workout, a protein shake is not quite sufficient. He will ideally want carbs + protein. These are sometimes called "recovery drink" or "meal replacement", and are typically a little more expensive. EAS Myoplex is an example, and it isn't exactly cheap, even on EBay. But you can make your own recovery drink by mixing a carb (such as a banana and/or milk) with the protein powder.
  • Candiceg13
    Candiceg13 Posts: 218
    Options
    Another thing probably worth mentioning. If he is looking for something to take post-workout, a protein shake is not quite sufficient. He will ideally want carbs + protein. These are sometimes called "recovery drink" or "meal replacement", and are typically a little more expensive. EAS Myoplex is an example, and it isn't exactly cheap, even on EBay. But you can make your own recovery drink by mixing a carb (such as a banana and/or milk) with the protein powder.

Agreed! I actually use the yoplait smoothie mix (1/3 package) w/skim milk...I get my protein/carbs in one tasty drink!
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    what about Creatine and Taurine? i've heard some really really negative stuff about these and wondering if it is in every shake mix or what?
  • scottlaurie
    Options
    Take it from an experience user, some taste like crap and you have trouble getting them down your throat. I won't say what's bad, but I will tell you my experience and what is good tasting and reasonalble quality.

I would recommend - Optium 100% gold whey, Muscletech Nitrotech, AST VP2 Whey Isolate currently using.

If you live in the USA you have alot more options to choose from than we do in Australia. My recommendation is ask for a trail pack or a free sample of the product. Most will give you a sample for free to try. Go online, read reviews etc and don't get caught up in all the hype.
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    nice thanks doing alot of reading on it but alot is very mixed reviews.

anyone tried the Jillian Michaels Protein Shake? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Jillian-Michaels-Natural-Chocolate-Whey-Protein-2lbs/13284386

just wondering its apparently supposed to be natural...
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    My 6 lb optimum nutrition canister was right around $40. Cheaper per pound than the walmart stuff.
  • scottlaurie
    Options
    Don't get to caught up in the hype, taurine can be found in the red bull energy drink and many other energy type drinks. It basically a situmlant and dosn't do much for you, you may as well have a cup of strong black coffee, it will give you the same effect. Creatine is good in moderation, be warned though it can have adverse effects on your kidneys and liver if used for long periods.

It is designed to increase the creatine content in the muscle which allows you to work it harder. With many Creatine supplements you have a loading phase and then a maintenance phase. This is because you need to build it up in your system before it will have any effect.
  • scottlaurie
    Options
    NATURAL? Its a powder in a plastic container. By the way just so you know, you can get all the nutrients from the food you eat, as long as you eat the right types. Protien powders, supplements etc is a Billion dollar industry. Supplements are good if you are busy, workout heaps and need that little added nutrition, but an everyday person can get what they need from NATURAL food
  • scottlaurie
    Options
    The Burn The Fat Feed The Muscle diet and exercise program by Tom Venuto, look it up and change your life.
  • jjclem07
    jjclem07 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress as well.
  • pty21
    pty21 Posts: 16
    Options
    We have Body Fortress in the house here. 26g of protein per scoop, 30 scoops per 2 lb container, $15 at Walmart. Breaks down to about 50 cents a serving.

For a little extra boost, I use one scoop of powder with 2 cups of Silk Light Vanilla (adds 140 calories and 12 g protein) instead of water or skim milk. Good flavor and two different types of protein instead of just one when you use skim milk or water.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    remember protein powder's differ in qualtiy at different prices.
    you want high quality stuff...i like to know what im putting in the body...

I use gold standard 100% whey. it seems expensive...@ $150AUD.
    but i get 150 serves out of it, lol. lasts me 2 months. but he wouldnt use it as much as i do... so it might do him 5 months.
    its a 4.5kg bag.