Personal Trainer?

Options
Hi everyone!
I just went to a gym nearby to get some information on getting a personal trainer. I was wondering if any of you ever work with a trainer. So far I have lost 110 lbs by diet and walking alone. As I approach my goal I'm beginning to notice the excess skin. Because i've always been at least 100 lbs overweight for my entire life, I know excess skin is bound to happen but i figured i'd try and minimize it as much as possible through the gym. I'm not familiar with gym equipment & so i thought this might be a good way to start out. Any advice out there on having a personal trainer?

Thanks so much! :wink:

Replies

• artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I just went to a gym nearby to get some information on getting a personal trainer. I was wondering if any of you ever work with a trainer. So far I have lost 110 lbs by diet and walking alone. As I approach my goal I'm beginning to notice the excess skin. Because i've always been at least 100 lbs overweight for my entire life, I know excess skin is bound to happen but i figured i'd try and minimize it as much as possible through the gym. I'm not familiar with gym equipment & so i thought this might be a good way to start out. Any advice out there on having a personal trainer?

Thanks so much! :wink:
  • thyme31
    thyme31 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hey. A personal trainer is SO worth the money! I had a trainer for about 7 months. I only went once a week, but in that time I saw the most improvement ever. Like you, I had been working on my own and making progress, but it definitely increased with the the trainer. What I figured out is having a personal trainer speeds up the entire weight loss process.
  • tpdance
    tpdance Posts: 21
    Options
    check credentials and who they are certified by. Make sure not some online anyone can do it certification, i would recommend someone w/ a degree in exercise science related field and certified by NSCA or ACSM (that is really good), those are the two top notch organizations to be certified w/.
  • tech_sarah
    tech_sarah Posts: 91
    Options
    The Personal Trainer is a good idea. Even if you dont see results as quickly as you like, it will make you feel better about yourself. I used to weigh 95lbs more than i do now, and I love to workout. I try to lift 2-3 days a week. But anyways it never hurts to work with someone who can give you good advice, and if youre getting the trainer through your gym, they're probably certified to do so.
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice! Yah! I think this is exactly what I need to take the rest off & keep on track! Thanks so much!:smile:
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I have had a variety of trainers throughout my long journey. I finally found one through my Gym that wouldn't hear my lame excuses on why I wasn't doing cardio. She is my lifesaver. Thanks to her and her guidance, both with the training and the meal plans, I have a new body & lifestyle that I love!!!

I definitely approve of trainers, but you may want to see how they interact with their other clients to see if they will be the right fit for you.

Good luck on your journey and congrats on your weight loss so far!!