extra skin-after weight loss

Options
OK I'm well past youth and I'm going to loose from 312 to 166 by managing calories and exercise.
Will I have extremely baggy skin afterward?
Will it ever self correct?
Should I be doing anything now to prevent or reduce it?
Is cosmetic surgery costly or painful?

Replies

• lilcrittert
    lilcrittert Posts: 105
    Options
    skin brushing is supposed to help....www.skinbrush.net

I use it....even if it doesn't work, it at least feels good! LOL
  • Teeeravis
    Teeeravis Posts: 16
    Options
    It's largely dependent on age and speed of weight loss. It's highly possible, it may get slightly better with time, but depending on how much skin is left, it may never go all the way away.

In terms of reducing visibility, the alternatives are building muscle to increase the mass below the skin, or there are some cream treatments that are supposed to help (can't speak to their efficacy).

Best things to do. Lose slow! Give your body time to adjust, and work on building some muscle.

In terms of surgery, I'm sure it's horridly painful...in terms of cost, very. It's normally elective (meaning insurance won't pay for) except in circumstances where it's deemed medically necessary -- such as persistent infections.
  • MizzFitness
    MizzFitness Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've studied this topic so much as I am worried about this ever going away. What I've heard is that once we get to our bodies set weight it snaps back into place. Of course it took years to stretch out & has been stretched out for years so it could take years to go back. Sloughing of dead skin layers helps collagen production & make skin look better. Aloe vera cream is very good at making your skin look better period. I use Jason Natural Aloe Vera Cream. It's about $9.99 for a little jar but it's worth it, I promise! I use a sloughing scrub like a face scrub or a body scrub as well.

Remember a little loose skin for an extra 30years is so worth it! Riding on roller coasters & fitting in good is so worth it! Buying clothes in the regular clothes department is so worth ! YOU are so worth it!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    As another said, it all depends how fast you lose the weight. I went from 280 - 210 in 7 months and didn't have any extra skin, but I was 21 and didn't lose all of the weight either.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    This is a really good question...
    I don't really know the answer, but, the best answer I can think of is that I went from 180 - 155 in one day (gave birth to an 8 lb 9 oz baby) and my skin tightened back in a couple of weeks. I was REALLY REALLY big, too. If the human body can bounce back from that, I would think it could bounce back from gradual weight loss. Our skin is an organ. Fitting to our body is what it's designed to do.
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it works for more mature skin or for lots of loose skin, but I've been using the sauna after my workouts and my skin feels rejuvenated and more firm afterwards. Granted I'm only aiming to lose 20 lbs, but I've not noticed any loose skin on me after losing 17 lbs so far. Initially I decided to use the sauna so I can stretch out in a warm place after working out. Then I read more about saunas and steamrooms and how it is good for your skin to remove toxins through sweating and to stimulate blood flow due to the elevated temperatures. Anyway, it's an idea.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I would say that since you're over 50, you are more likely to have loose skin. However, exercise and losing the fat slow and steady will be your best bet on having minimal saggy skin.

Even if you do get saggy skin, it sure beats all the bad things that come with being over weight.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Such a supportive community! Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement.
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    after losing 140 pounds in 8 months I had loose skin and decided to have a tummy tuck and removed almost 20 pounds of skin from my tummy area.

The pain was not that bad as long as you take it easy and do as the doctor tells you to and make sure you have a good 4 weeks to sit on your butt while recovering.
    I had my surgery in Dothan,AL and over all the cost for a tummy tuck was about 4800 dollars and I did have some other surgery done with this called the Mommy makeover and it was all right at 10,000

I can say that insurance will pay for a tummy tuck if the Doctor find it medically needed to reduce infections in the loose skin or to help with maintain a correct posture, needs of repairing the muscles, etc...
    You can google to see sample letters to write to insurance to get this cost covered.