No one in the house eats!!!!

skinnyhopes
skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
Whenever my family and I go grocery shopping, my sister buys lots of junk food that she probably eats once and never looks at again. For example, she has brought and ate only one serving of Cheetos, wheat thins, chips, sugar fortified cereals, cake, cookies, and god knows what not and there’s like 50 servings left which she does not eat, so I feel responsible for eating them because I don’t want to waste money and I HATE wasting food so much. And I can’t give it away to shelters or anything since it’s used food and the pets won’t eat it. Also, she never listens to me when I tell her she’s not gonna eat it anyway. What can I do, shes making me fat!!!

Replies

• Just don't eat it, save it up, and then show it to her at the end of the week or the month. Then add up how much it all costs, and try to explain to her and/or whoever buys the groceries just how much of a waste it is in terms of food and money. If you eat it, she won't realize how much is wasted. Also, maybe try to encourage her to buy single size portions or at the very least, smaller bags. But don't feel bad because she buys it but no one eats it. It isn't your fault. Good luck!
  • ablueskier
    ablueskier Posts: 104
    The conept of food going to waste is one I have struggled with over the years. I grew up having to finish my plate because when my grandpa was a kid he was lucky if he got to eat 3 meals in a day. I definitely think this contributed to me being an overweight child until my doctor intervened in high school. To this day I cringe if I throw away something on my plate I throw away or a box of food that expired that I have to throw away. In reality though I shouldn't be treating my body like a trash can so put that left over food where it belongs, in the trash and not in your body.
  • I feel your pain regarding having tempting foods in the house-- my willpower breaks! Personally, I would sit down with her at a time where you are both calm and not in a hurry (NOT when you're going shopping) and let her know how difficult it is for you to have that kind of food in the house. If she wants to buy those things, they come in smaller, personal serving sizes, so maybe she would be willing to purchase those smaller snack sizes. If not, let her know that you will not be contributing financially to purchases of unhealthy food--she's on her own for buying it-- and then don't feel bad about tossing it out!
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    You don’t have to eat it. You have to change your paradigm. She bought it. She’s wasting it. Why do you have to fill your body with her waste? You’re not a garbage can. You can be filled with food that makes you feel healthy and proud. So just stop eating it. You cannot control anyone but yourself, and you do not have to eat anything that doesn’t meet your health and weight-loss goals.
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Thanks to all of you for your insight. I'll try to mentally change my habits, so I don't fill my body with junk and feel like I'm having a heart attack afterward.
This discussion has been closed.